X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regarding smells of high index...

Pulled this past post of mine that new optiboarders may find interesting-

Memorandum from Seiko 6/2/1997 RE: New SLU Resin Odor
    Took a CE class a few years back and asked the instructor about the odor of the very high index lenses and if it was toxic. Her reply was "that's the smell of money". So I again asked if it was toxic and she said only in extremely high concentrations that no lab environment could produce which made me curious as to how high extremely high was.
    Found a lab who faxed me the following Seiko Memorandum addressed to Distribution.

"AS you may have had inquires from your customers regarding the odor of our new.......
    In reviewing the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDA), hydrogen sulfide is the only classified chemical class with an established threshhold limit value (TLV). This occupational exposure limit is set by the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygenists. The actual TVL at time weighted average (TWA) is 10 parts per million (PPM) or 14mg/m[to the (3rd?)]. This TWA translates to a safe concentration level for a normal 8 hour workday and a 40 hour work week, to which nearly all workers are constantly and repeatedly exposed without any adverse health effect.

Seiko states that when our lenses are processed under the worst conditions (dry edger with no ventilation or air circulation), that only extremely small amounts of hydrogen sulfide are released. The actual measured results at 5-10 cm around the edging point are 0.01 PPM or less. This is to say the exposure is 1,000 times less than the TLV-TWA. Therefore, it would be safe to say that if a person in a three foot cubic room was to edge 100 lenses at the same time and exposed to that atmosphere all day for a 40 hour work week conditions would still be 10 times less than the established TLV amounts."

They proceed to recognize the lenses smell like rotten eggs when edged and suggest to wet edge, ventilate, use deoderizers and "problematic or sensitive employees could be advised to wear dust masks."

There is no mention of how thick the test lenses are.

Fester

P.S. According to "New Scientist" magazine on 7/28/2001 and "Biochemical Pharmacology" Vol. 62, 2001 flatulence (word for the day?) is primarily-- you guessed it(!) hydrogen sulphide

(Can a chemist among us confirm hydrogen sulfide and sulphide are the same? I'm hoping not!)
    Judy- Were you that instructor? The "smell of money" always stuck with me!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Fester View Post
      The "smell of money" always stuck with me!
      I have been using that one for almost 10 years now, My first boss used it before me. Nothing like a good Hi-index lens edging in the morning, beats a cup of coffee anyday. :D
      1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
      1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
      1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Comment

If you are an OLA member, you can log in to the OLA website and have access to a large database of MSDS for a variety of products, including polycarbonate lenses.

The MSDS for polycarbonate indicates that there are no known acute or chronic health effects due to poly. It does indicate that grinding creates nuisance dust, and that ventilation is recommended. It is likely that any ill effects would be limited to irritation from the dust.

OSHA has definitions of and limits for nuisance dust. You can consult the OSHA website, or if you feel that your employer is not providing you with a safe work environment, you may file an OSHA complaint.

You may also want to do a little more critical research on the dangers of polycarbonate (or more specifically, bisphenol-A which is a component of polycarbonate). While studies have shown that bisphenol-A can leach into liquids stored in a bottle made of polycarbonate, there is debate as to whether or not the amounts involved are significant from a health standpoint. It seems like a big stretch to relate your health issues to exposure to solid polycarbonate. You may be a victim of media "scare-mongering".
        RT

Comment

If you are aware of a optical lab that doesn't have proper ventilation what can be done about it legally? Who would you complain to?

Comment

I was of the understanding that all labs(surfacing and edging) had to have all msds sheets visably posted. You may want to do a search for anzi, or msds standards for your chemicals. I have never thought about it before, but certainly an interesting question.

Comment

Hazardous Decomposition or By-Products
              Substance Condition

Carbon monoxide At Elevated Temperatures

Carbon dioxide At Elevated Temperatures

Toxic Vapor, Gas, Particulate At Elevated Temperatures

Hazardous Decomposition:
              Under recommended usage conditions, hazardous decomposition products are not expected. Hazardous

decomposition products may occur as a result of oxidation, heating, or reaction with another material.

Comment

I was of the understanding that all labs(surfacing and edging) had to have all msds sheets visably posted. You may want to do a search for anzi, or msds standards for your chemicals. I have never thought about it before, but certainly an interesting question.
                It's not limited to optical labs. OSHA requires all businesses to have the MSDS for all workplace chemicals in an accessible place. All employers should have a chemical information plan.

If you're Googling, look for "OSHA" (Occupational Safety and Health Administration), not "ANSI" (American National Standards Institute). ANSI has nothing to do with workplace safety. If you feel that your workplace is not safe, OSHA is the proper body (in the US) with whom to lodge a complaint. OSHA can mandate inspections and corrective action if the workplace is found to be unsafe.

As several people have noted, ventilation is key to remove dust from edging and fumes from tinting. Ventilation also removes bad smells from the high index lenses that you wouldn't want in your dispensing area.

Or you could buy a sign. No smells, no dust, no ventilation required.
                RT

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Fester View Post
                  Pulled this past post of mine that new optiboarders may find interesting-Judy- Were you that instructor? The "smell of money" always stuck with me!
                  Nope, not me! Though it's a nice turn of a phrase.:)

Comment

Originally posted by chip anderson View Post
                    Always said that stuff was junk!
                    I agree, although I would have used somewhat more colourful language to describe it. ;) I refuse to use it unless absolutely forced to.

Comment

MSDS Data Bases...........................

Alexa provides a full page of free data bases you consult for just about any chemical on the market.

Comment

I know this is an old post.
                        As of July 2012 I started developing lung problems with asthma and pnemonia. We purchased a new edger and started edging grooved rimless lenses. since then i have been admitted into the hospital 4 times and have had several asthma attacks. I had never had before. seeing several posts about health problems from those who edge lenses i am curious if there is any other resorces i can get my hands on.

Optican2005

Comment

I am sorry, for both you and me, that I have no more information on this subject about scientific findings on reprecussions regarding long time exposure to polycarbonate material. However, I can say since I first wrote about my health problems, my asthma got much worse, and I had open heart surgery March 8th, 2013 to replace a defective aortic valve.

Comment

Contact an MD that specializes in "Environmental Medicine" I don't know of any in your neighborhood, if you can't find one call Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Mn.

Comment

Originally posted by Optician2005 View Post
                              I know this is an old post.
                              As of July 2012 I started developing lung problems with asthma and pneumonia. We purchased a new edger and started edging grooved rimless lenses. since then i have been admitted into the hospital 4 times and have had several asthma attacks. I had never had before. seeing several posts about health problems from those who edge lenses i am curious if there is any other resources i can get my hands on.

Optican2005
                              Just a thought-
                              Can you change your price by a few dollars and maybe send out what you believe to be jobs that are bringing on the asthma?

Comment

This is the kind of thread is why I signed up. While working in the surfacing lab I tried to be as careful as I could but the dangers were always there. I always tried to minimize them with gloves etc etc. Glad to be out of that side of it because.... IT SUCKS. Underpaid, overworked, no safety concerns. I worked at Eyemaster for half a day, and left at lunch. Due to not having gloves, and being told to touch backside coat, and polish unprotected. Not to mention everything else sucked about the place

Comment

Working...
                                X