Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cutting polycarbonate lenses

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I know this is an old post.
    As of July 2012 I started developing lung problems with asthma and pnemonia. We purchased a new edger and started edging grooved rimless lenses. since then i have been admitted into the hospital 4 times and have had several asthma attacks. I had never had before. seeing several posts about health problems from those who edge lenses i am curious if there is any other resorces i can get my hands on.

Optican2005

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am sorry, for both you and me, that I have no more information on this subject about scientific findings on reprecussions regarding long time exposure to polycarbonate material. However, I can say since I first wrote about my health problems, my asthma got much worse, and I had open heart surgery March 8th, 2013 to replace a defective aortic valve.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Contact an MD that specializes in "Environmental Medicine" I don't know of any in your neighborhood, if you can't find one call Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Mn.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Optician2005 View Post
    As of July 2012 I started developing lung problems with asthma and pneumonia. We purchased a new edger and started edging grooved rimless lenses. since then i have been admitted into the hospital 4 times and have had several asthma attacks. I had never had before. seeing several posts about health problems from those who edge lenses i am curious if there is any other resources i can get my hands on.

Optican2005
    Just a thought-
    Can you change your price by a few dollars and maybe send out what you believe to be jobs that are bringing on the asthma?

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is the kind of thread is why I signed up. While working in the surfacing lab I tried to be as careful as I could but the dangers were always there. I always tried to minimize them with gloves etc etc. Glad to be out of that side of it because.... IT SUCKS. Underpaid, overworked, no safety concerns. I worked at Eyemaster for half a day, and left at lunch. Due to not having gloves, and being told to touch backside coat, and polish unprotected. Not to mention everything else sucked about the place

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Optician2005 View Post
    As of July 2012 I started developing lung problems with asthma and pnemonia. We purchased a new edger and started edging grooved rimless lenses. since then i have been admitted into the hospital 4 times and have had several asthma attacks. I had never had before. seeing several posts about health problems from those who edge lenses i am curious if there is any other resorces i can get my hands on.

Optican2005
    Look into California states prop 65, their was a press release through the VCA about a similar subject a while back.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wonder about the safety of breathing in the dust from other lens materials, too. Where I work the ventilation in the lab is poor. It was poor the last place, too. We cut lots of poly, Trivex, and high index lenses. Those 1.74 stink and I wonder how safe they are to be in there while they are being edged.

I don't do the edging now and try to not be there if I don't have to be.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Im so happy there are still good jobs for a passionate relatively young optician/labtech like me I dont think about it at all.

Thread Information