Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ground-in prism

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Ground-in prism

If a pair of glasses is supposed to have ground-in prism (e.g. 2 prism diopters base right), when I verify it on a manual lensometer should the 2 prism diopters show up no matter which part of the lens I am looking at?

Also, how do I grind that in?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The grinding-in process is done at the surfacing lab. You should be able to *detect* that a lens has prism in it when verifying any part in the lensometer. But, checking for accuracy of that prism amount has to be done correctly.

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Power?

What is the power of the lens?
    Sometimes you can manually induce the prism with a stock lens. If the power is low, you need to grind it in surface.
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    It's essentially a -6.00 lens in each eye. I need to put 2 prism diopters in each eye. Is it possible to get 2 prism diopters throughout the lens by grinding it into the lens? How does Prentice's rule affect this?

Occupation
    You can easily induce the prism in a -6.00 provided your frame is not abnormally huge. Just layout the lenses as normal with the prism induced, spot, block, and edge. Your result should be perfect.
    Last edited by Leo Hadley Jr; 12-28-2007 at 01:49 PM.
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment

Banned
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I been done to seen a lot o Rx's with prism. Ain't never seen one with prism base right on it. I seed, base in, base up, base down, base out and at a few odd angles, and some different in the top and the bottom. But can't see why you would have base right unless the patient had a fused neck and his head was on crooked.

Chip

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    I been done to seen a lot o Rx's with prism. Ain't never seen one with prism base right on it. I seed, base in, base up, base down, base out and at a few odd angles, and some different in the top and the bottom. But can't see why you would have base right unless the patient had a fused neck and his head was on crooked.

Chip
    There are several reasons for base right or base left (AKA Yoked prisms). They can be used to shift the image binocularly to the null point for nystagmus, to straighten a head turn due to extraocular muscle imbalance, etc.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Yoked prisms can also be used in low vision situations such as in stroke and head trauma. In this case, I would not recommend using decentration to achieve the prism. Put the OCs in the middle of the pupil and have the prism ground in.

Just my hunble opinion.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Put the OCs in the middle of the pupil and have the prism ground in.

Just my hunble opinion.
    Huh? Prism is obtained by moving the OC, either by decentration or grinding, same result. If the OC is in the middle of pupil, no prism.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    Huh? Prism is obtained by moving the OC, either by decentration or grinding, same result. If the OC is in the middle of pupil, no prism.
    With the OC in the middle of the pupil, there is no prism unless you grind it in, and if you do, then you will have the optical centers of the lenses in front of the pupil (which is where the best VA is) and you will also have your prism. This would be even more important if the lenses are aspheric, which they very well might be in a -6.00.

Maybe Daryl Meister can explain it better...or maybe I'm wrong, but prism by decentration and ground in are not the same in all respects.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    If my optics memory serves me correctly the optical center is the place where there is no prism, as measured by a lensometer. If you dot the place in the lens where the pupils are and measure the amount of deviation that is the amount of prism in the Rx. As far as grinding in versus decentering, a lot depends on the Rx and how much prism you can obtain by decentration. In high Rx's this is pretty easy, in low Rx's you will have to grind it in.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Odosou,

Everything you say is true, but it is my understanding, that when you decenter an aspheric -6.00, the Rx of the lens changes as you move away from the center. So if you try to achieve prism by decentration in these cases, you might not be doing the best thing for the patient. You might be hurting their BVA. In particular, when prisms are yoked (bases in same direction, right, left, up or down), there is usually some visual, vestibular, or cortical pathology involved, and it would be best to insure the patient is getting the best VA through the center.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    With the OC in the middle of the pupil, there is no prism unless you grind it in, and if you do, then you will have the optical centers of the lenses in front of the pupil (which is where the best VA is) and you will also have your prism. This would be even more important if the lenses are aspheric, which they very well might be in a -6.00.

Maybe Daryl Meister can explain it better...or maybe I'm wrong, but prism by decentration and ground in are not the same in all respects.
    Huh? Aspheric is a different story. Decentered and grinding accomplishes the same thing. With any prism, the OC is NOT in front of the patients pupil. That is called prism. No prism, OC's are on PD. Yes you are correct thou, you can not decenter an aspheric stock lens much to gain prism. Non aspheric, you can't tell the difference

Occupation
    Optometrist
    One thing about the decentering that also comes to mind, not just aspherics but also low abbe value materials, i.e. high index materials have more chromatic problems the farther from the geometric center you go. (Think about the patient that needs that MRP in Polycarb) Grinding in would possibly help some, but you are still off the optical center so prism kind of stinks when it comes to the best optics unless dealing with glass or CR-39.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Maybe Daryl Meister can explain it better
    With any prism, the OC is NOT in front of the patients pupil. That is called prism. No prism, OC's are on PD. Yes you are correct thou, you can not decenter an aspheric stock lens much to gain prism. Non aspheric, you can't tell the difference
    It's a little more complicated than that though. You can have prism, for instance, without any "optical center." In fact, decentration to induce significant magnitudes of prism is only practical with relatively strong prescriptions.

Essentially, prism occurs whenever a plane tangent to the front surface is tilted relative to a plane tangent to the back surface at a given point, so that the surface slopes differ. Prism is directly proportional to this difference in slopes. When these two planes are parallel, on the other hand, rays of light leave the back surface traveling in the same direction that they enter the front surface. At the optical center, for instance, the planes tangent to the front and back surfaces are parallel, so no prism is produced. (Actually, this is a bit of an oversimplification, but we don't need to worry about the details.)

In order for a lens to bring rays of light to a single point focus, light striking the lens 1 cm away from the optical center must also be deflected by 1 cm, while light striking the lens 2 cm away from the optical center must be deflected by 2 cm, and so on. A plus or minus lens with power deflects rays of light by a progressively increasing degree away from the optical center because the slopes of the front and back surface become more and more tilted with respect to each other away from the center. In a minus lens with a plano front surface, for instance, the slopes of the front surface remain flat, whereas the slopes of the concave back surface become progressively steeper.

Decentering a lens simply moves the lens far enough to place a point on the lens in front of the eye where the slope of the front surface differs from the slope of the back surface by the desired amount. Alternatively, you could simply tilt the front surface relative to the back surface until the desired difference in slopes is achieved, which is how prism is "ground." The effect, in terms of the difference in surface slopes at least, is essentially the same, however. In fact, tilting a spherical surface has the effect of decentering it; if you "pry" one side of a basketball up with a stick, for instance, the ball rolls away from the stick.

That said, while the same difference in slopes can be accomplished, other differences can occur. For instance, as someone noted earlier, lenses with non-spherical surfaces will produce other optical changes. Grinding prism may also result in a thinner lens compared to decentering for prism. Further, the optical axis of the lens may be tilted by a different amount in some cases, which will produce differences in the amount of prescription change that occurs as a result of lens tilt, although the effect is probably negligible.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Darryl: I'm confused. Lets use a -2.00 sph with1 BI. Normal decentration to obtain PD is 2in. I take a -2.00 stock cr-39 and decenter it 3 out, resulting in 1 BI, how is this any different thickness wise (with out changeing base curve) than me ordering it "ground in"? Same curves to get the power, same resultant prism. Should also be the same thickness.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I'm confused. Lets use a -2.00 sph with1 BI. Normal decentration to obtain PD is 2in. I take a -2.00 stock cr-39 and decenter it 3 out, resulting in 1 BI, how is this any different thickness wise (with out changeing base curve) than me ordering it "ground in"? Same curves to get the power, same resultant prism. Should also be the same thickness.
    In your particular example, the minimum thickness of the edged lens is equal to the minimum thickness of the original lens blank, since the thinnest point of the original lens blank (the optical center) still falls within the frame boundary. However, this will not always be the case, particularly for plus prescriptions. Say, for instance, that you were trying to introduce base out prism again with that same -2.00 D lens in a frame with a 44 mm eyesize that normally required only 2 mm of decentration for a given wearer's normal PD (i.e., without prism for decentration). Inducing any base out prism above 4.0 prism diopters will actually move the optical center and the thinnest point of the lens outside the aperture of this frame, resulting in a lens that is thicker than necessary.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OK, thanks. That I knew.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    So Darryl,

If this -6.00 lens was a high index, hyperaspheric (which many of us would use in a case like this), and the prism desired, in this case 2 prism diopters, was achieved with decentration...You don't think the VA would be affected to a clinically significant degree?

Thanks for your insight.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    You don't think the VA would be affected to a clinically significant degree?
    Yes, it's entirely possible. You should generally avoid decentering to induce prism with aspheric lens designs (finished or semi-finished).
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    ...unless the patient had a fused neck and his head was on crooked.

Chip
    I've seen this often enough.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Consistent with getting the patient the best possible optical result in a case like this where the lens power is fairly high, and the prism requested is "unusual", and the likelihood that the patient will be sold a high index lens, which is likely to be aspheric, is great.. and judging that virtually all respondants to this question, except Darryl, thought that prism by decentration and ground-in are synonymous...

Would it be acceptable, in this case, for a prescriber to write "ground-in prism" or "hyper-aspheric with ground-in prism" on this Rx?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    and judging that virtually all respondants to this question, except Darryl, thought that prism by decentration and ground-in are synonymous...
    Yes, that was me. In my example, no one can tell the difference. I said aspherics are a different story.
    With the OC in the middle of the pupil, there is no prism unless you grind it in, and if you do, then you will have the optical centers of the lenses in front of the pupil (which is where the best VA is) and you will also have your prism.
    Still believe that the OC's are in front of the pupil with prism?

Occupation

The Great Prism Debate of 2007

Great replies by everyone, this is a good thread.

I would like to hear back from the original poster. I am pretty sure this person just wanted to make a pair of glasses with 2 diopters of prism.
    I do not think there was head trauma or any special circumstances. The only info we have is a -6.00 lens with 2 diopters of prism which is nothing to induce. I agree with all the posts above but, we are talking about moving a stock lens 1-2mm. I doubt there will be any acuity issues no matter what material is used. Of coarse grinding the lens would give optimum results but I know my eyes could never detect the difference.
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment

Thread Information