Thread: Avesis.... what do you guys think?

Occupation
    Optometrist

Avesis.... what do you guys think?

I searched this forum for any info on Avesis, and there isn't much...
    Just wanted to get any updates. What do you all think of this vision plan?
    I read over the provider manual, it doesn't say anything about labs.
    Can you use a private lab, or one of their labs?
    How is customer service?
    How fast do they pay?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It has been quite a few years so I can't exactly recall why. However we got rid of it almost as soon as we got it. Something to do with the provider payments being too little perhaps. I do not think we used their lab though. We only do that for VSP.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We take Avesis and you can use any lab you want. Also most of their plans are discount plans. (the frame is the only discount you actually have to do math to get the discount) The rest (lenses and add ons) are just a straight discount. There are some billable plans and they are a pain and may take awhile to figure out how they work so that you actually get paid like you should. The customer service is okay. You can do almost anything online so I don't call them much. As for paying pretty quick I believe they pay twice a month. (I could be wrong on that). All in all there are much worse insurance plans out there to accept than Avesis. I hope this helps.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We looked into this for a patient and quickly decided no. at first avasis would not send any fee info unless we signed up first--we politely declined. A month later a provider packet arrived with some info. low reimbursements, out of network benefits it the pt decides to get a 2 for $99 special somewhere else, and dilation is not a required or reimbursable. This is not mentioned in the pt info, so you are stuck explaining why the pt also has to pay for dilation!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Anyone have any recent dealing with Avesis? I understand they have their own lab now. Do they do a good job? What is the time frame? How do you feel about reimbursement?

Master OptiBoarder Crazy-bout-Optics's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We take Avesis where I work. None of us like the whole process. Authorizing and billing can be tricky as there are so many steps. Their web site is not user friendly nor intuitive at all. Idk where we are missing out on using private pay labs but we have to use their own contracted lab for plans that we bill. It's is sort of like vsp in that they pay the lab bill but we get charge backs. Sometimes we are in the negative on chargebacks and only make a tiny amount on the frame. Most plans have a wholesale dollar amount that they pay. The price you charge the pt is generally wholesale plus 40%. Then you back out what Avesis pays. You can make some $ here if you buy your frames smartly. We see about 8 a month give or take. Now if it was just a disco plan I believe it is a flat 20% disco off lenses. The frame benefit I explained above still applies to these disco plans.

Hope that helps.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We take Avesis. It pays like Eyemed. Some of the pts have to use thier lab, which is the VSP lab and some which happens to be the school board can use our own lab. It's an ok ins. The people that have it do buy more. The web site could be better. They pay in a month. No hold backs there. I would say it's a good ins.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We are an Optician owned practice. We take Eyemed, Avesis, Superior Vision,and many more... almost all insurances that allow us to participate. Avesis is actually one of the most decent ones. The lab we use is excellent and have no problems with reimbursement. Obviously we love self paid but in slow days its a welcomed sale. If you are an optometrists your eye exam is paid similiarly to VSP and if you do contact lenses they also do eyeglasses or contact lenses deal just as VSP. Good luck
    CNG

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Does anybody have a lot of experience dealing with the Avesis insurance? We just started taking this insurance (and have not seen a lot of patients with it, actually just one and he was here for a totally unrelated foreign body ) but when i was playing around with it it looked like he got $400 off, and paid the difference. that seemed like a pretty huge allowance to me! We have a company with about 1500 employees state wide and we will be seeing about half (maybe less) of those that will be based out of our town, i just want to make sure i'm at least breaking even! It seems like the entire process has a million steps. And its impossible to contact a person (copying davis' business model i think) .... Just wanted to know if there were any tricks to it!
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Been taking for about 2 years now, last year we saw a grand total of 8 AVESIS patients!!!
    Didn't even amount to $100 per patient paid out by AVESIS.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    UUUGGGHHHH!....but, we are on the panel....

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CNG View Post
    We are an Optician owned practice. We take Eyemed, Avesis, Superior Vision,and many more... almost all insurances that allow us to participate. Avesis is actually one of the most decent ones. The lab we use is excellent and have no problems with reimbursement. Obviously we love self paid but in slow days its a welcomed sale. If you are an optometrists your eye exam is paid similiarly to VSP and if you do contact lenses they also do eyeglasses or contact lenses deal just as VSP. Good luck
    CNG
    I also have an independent optical store. What other insurances do you participate in?

Thread Information