Thread: Selling Eyewear On The Internet

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Selling Eyewear On The Internet

Hi All

I think we have touched on this however in the UK things are going over the top
    It all started with glassesdirect.co.uk which got a lot of publicity saying Opticians mark ups are astronomical
    He is expanding with new larger premises

A large clothing retail outlet called Next has started selling on-line, they have a shop in every town( they do not sell in-store Yet!)

Most shocking of all starting early next year the most succesfull francaise group in the UK Specsavers is to start selling on-line

I thought I would let you know what is going on over here

Alan

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I tell any of my clients who mentioned such thoughts (astronomical mark-ups, etc.) to take a good look at what car their ophthalmologist drives..

Their drivin' the Mercedes...not me!

Barry

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    What really worries me is people think all lenses are cheap

If only they knew how much we have to pay for some!
    :drop:
    I have only a Briot 6000 which cuts off axis when it fancies it
    I get so stressed when I have to cut some of these!

Which reminds me all the overheads we have machines etc I cant afford a new one!

Alan

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It strikes me as odd that it's us that's being targeted. EVERYTHING has markups. As a manufacturer you don't just pay for the product, you pay for the process of making said product, wages, etc etc. Maybe we should start charging by the hour 'labour' costs instead? Seems to work well for mechanics :\

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralKnight View Post
    It strikes me as odd that it's us that's being targeted. EVERYTHING has markups. As a manufacturer you don't just pay for the product, you pay for the process of making said product, wages, etc etc. Maybe we should start charging by the hour 'labour' costs instead? Seems to work well for mechanics :\
    Exactly!

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralKnight View Post
    Ohh, they target electronics, music, dvds, and such pretty hard too.

The difference here is that we cannot adapt to the changes. Dell sold online to compete against in store vendors and was successful. If we sell online, we are doing something very long.

With that said, these online eyeglass vendors are pricing themselves out of the market. They are all competing for the lowest priced customer, and cannot survive based on that.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know they do it to electronics as well, but if I buy online vs at a store, I might save $50 on a $400 item, not $350 on a $400 item. You KNOW electronics are cheap to make. Computers don't cost hundreds upon hundreds of dollars to make, yet we're ok with those markups. Every justifacation I've heard for buying glasses online was "Well, if they weren't so expensive I'd buy them in a store!" Hello? They let you see! You don't hear people complain about hearing aids like they do with glasses. My mom just bought two new hearing aids... $7000! You know they didn't cost that much, but hey, you gotta hear, right? I just don't understand why people don't see glasses in the same light.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Hi! Admiral Knight

Funny you should mention hearing aids as I wear one in each ear they cost £2500 ($5000)
    They do not appreciate how lucky they are with a slight vision loss
    I need my hearing boosted 70dbl
    I could use a new pair now!
    Alan

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Just been reading an old copy of the Optician magazine from June (cant chuck anything away!)
    There is an article in the mag about a young dispenser who has started selling on line he is selling brand names very cheap ( he has managed to win an award and get in some papers, great publicity!)
    However you have probably all noticed that they can hardly be earning any profit on the basic stuff and rely on the add ons, he is even charging extra for hard coat and UV bloc on transition lenses
    If people just bought the frame with basic lenses these places would disappear as quickly as they have appeared
    Just a thought
    Alan

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    to those places closing:

tell that to the kids that are manufacturing the eyewear for them in 3rd world countries.

on a lighter note:

now that i brought up 3rd world countries...thats where i want to get my future wife from (pre-tested of course)..they have the "stray dog syndrome"..you bring them in clean them, feed them...and they love you uncondisionaly no matter how hard you kick them!!
    equal opportunity offender!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    geez people lighten up..it just a joke...life isnt serious enough to be offended by something...if you spend your whole life worrying about what offends you, your not going to have too many good memories when you need them...besides whats not funny to you, might be funny to someone else!!!

in other words...get over it!!
    equal opportunity offender!!

Thread Information