Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Dr RX

Bad address email on file abocandy's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Dr RX

Hey
    You know when the Dr writes out an RX and they often make material suggestions?
    Is it law to go by what the Doc has marked(suggested) on their or is it simply a suggestion and up to the Optician what is best.??
    Please advise.
    Thanks-
    In the state of Florida..

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I always get a negative rep when I say this, but the doctor has no right making suggestions in the refraction room. It is a major conflict of interest.

edit - I know that is not your question, but I needed to vent.

Occupation
    Just a suggestion.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    I always get a negative rep when I say this...
    I can see why!

(Do you consider it a conflict when a dr. tells a patient they need surgery as well?)

ABOCandy:

I approach it as a suggestion only. Of course, if it doesn't work, and you didn't follow the suggestion...
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I can see why!

(Do you consider it a conflict when a dr. tells a patient they need surgery as well?)

ABOCandy:

I approach it as a suggestion only. Of course, if it doesn't work, and you didn't follow the suggestion...
    Only if the surgery is completely elective, there are several other choices, and may not be the best person to make that decision.

The thing is, it is perceived by many patients that what is written on the script and what is mentioned in the exam room is not a suggestion but a prescription. Prescriptions mean to must must not could.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't know anything about FL, but just a suggestion. How could it be anything else?

Our OD only puts a material when the patient has told her something in that dark room. A suggestion, but you wouldn't be smart to go against it.

Another guy in town isn't so genuine. He will "prescribe" the material, lens type, manufacturer, brand and style in the exam room. Patient has had NO conversation about it. For some opinionated fun review this thread:

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...+substitutions

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Only if the surgery is completely elective, there are several other choices, and may not be the best person to make that decision.
    I see...so if a girls got a nose that she just can't stand, and she goes to a plastic surgeon, he can't make a reccomendation?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I see...so if a girls got a nose that she just can't stand, and she goes to a plastic surgeon, he can't make a reccomendation?
    Not for Poly!:D

Occupation
    She is going to see him for cosmetics. He is giving cosmetic advice. They expect advice, because that is what they are looking for. Now if I went to the doctor looking to help me with depression. If he turns around and starts pushing an herbal tea that he owns a stake in, then it is unethical.

Patients go see eye doctors for refractions and health of the eyes. They give advice on coatings, type of PAL and materials.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They expect advice, because that is what they are looking for.
    'Nuff said.;)

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Doctors have always been opinionated on this sort of thing. Often depends on what seminar they last attended. Some think everyone should have Poly, same doctor may not have heard about trivex. Some insist on line type lenses because they have had negative results or heard negative opinions from colleges at meetings.
    As to surgery we all know those who are knife happy and those who will let cataracs go til the patient stumbling blind.
    We all know we are in a bind whenever we have an opinion different than the doctor, especially some doctors.

You gotta know when to hold 'em and you gotta know when to fold 'em.

Remember rule #1 of the optical business and rule #2.

#1 Don't trust anybody.
    #2 The doctor is always right.

Chip

Bad address email on file abocandy's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Dr RX - Thanx

Hey everybody! Thanks for the info.
    I always thought it was a suggestion.
    But a local Optician had called a Dr and asked him to rewrite the script since he marked hi-index material and she wanted to put the pt in poly.
    His argument was poly is hiindex.
    I argue that even though it is a higher index then CR-39 to some Opticians to specify Poly would be more appropriate then just saying hi index.

Anyway,

Thanks

Occupation
    I am curious now, with Duty to Warn and all, if the optician were to dispense high index as it was marked and the lenses were to shatter and damage the patient who holds the liability in that case? Especially since the optician in some cases opticians may not be aware that it is only a suggestion.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As a rule, I always go over with the patient what the doctor has written on the prescription. This has two main benefits, firstly, the patient sees that I undrstand what the doctor has recommended and to show that I am a part of their visual success within the three O's. Secondly, once I explain why the doctor has recommended something, I can let them know what other features may infact work better for them. The more you can build a rapport with new customers, the more likely you are to pursuade into what you want. ( obviously it benefits them to)

Occupation
    Told you I would get dinged on this one. Always happens.

doctor has every right, and at times an obligation
    Lets debate this anonymous comment that someone did not want to own up to.

The first question is do Doctors have the right to do this? I do not think anyone is disputing it. If they did not have the right, then we would not see this. Though to have the right does not make it right. I believe it confuses patients with subjective information. I have had situations where I knew the OD was flat out wrong, but the patient believed him because it was written on the script.

Next part is obligation. I have never heard that the doctor had the obligation to do this. If anything, the doctor should have the obligation to not do this. It is the Opticians obligation to inform the patient about glasses, not the ODs.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Since its on the Rx, and you referred to it as a "suggestion"...well I think that that's what the whole Rx shebang is...a suggestion to start with that I refine with the help of the client.

Yes?

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by abocandy View Post
    Hey
    You know when the Dr writes out an RX and they often make material suggestions?
    Is it law to go by what the Doc has marked(suggested) on their or is it simply a suggestion and up to the Optician what is best.??
    Please advise.
    Thanks-
    In the state of Florida..

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist

The first question is do Doctors have the right to do this? I do not think anyone is disputing it. If they did not have the right, then we would not see this. Though to have the right does not make it right. I believe it confuses patients with subjective information. I have had situations where I knew the OD was flat out wrong, but the patient believed him because it was written on the script.

Next part is obligation. I have never heard that the doctor had the obligation to do this. If anything, the doctor should have the obligation to not do this. It is the Opticians obligation to inform the patient about glasses, not the ODs.
    Like it or not ,it is the DR's discretion whether to make eyeglass material and design recommendations or not.

As for the credibility gap ,that is part of the business .We face the same thing occasionally with some ophthalmologist recommendations that we dont necessarily agree with.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by kws6000 View Post
    Like it or not ,it is the DR's discretion whether to make eyeglass material and design recommendations or not.

As for the credibility gap ,that is part of the business .We face the same thing occasionally with some ophthalmologist recommendations that we dont necessarily agree with.
    and I never denied that the doctor has that discretion. I said it is a wrong thing to do.

bilateral peripheral scotoma LandLord's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It depends on the recommendation. If the doctor is next to Lenscrafters and prescribes 4 separate pair of glasses, I'm going to take that with a grain of salt and let the patient decide.

If the prescriber writes slab-off, OS, I'm highly inclined to reinforce it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Of course he can. He can't, however, say she HAS TO HAVE an entire face lift, nose job, boob job, and liposuction (NO SUBS!) when all she wanted was a little nose tweak.

Quote Originally Posted by kws6000 View Post
    Sure, recommend. Recommend all you want. I welcome some recommendations, but don't dictate when there's no medical need for it. If I get a script saying a person needs a specific lens, or lens material, I'll call the OD to get a reasoning behind it, and as a professional courtesy, but if it doesn't make any sense, or they can't justify it, I'm going to take it as just a recommendation. I'll explain the advantages and disadvantages of using what was asked for, and leave the final choice to them.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm not sure there is a medical reason behind any lens with the possibility of those to correct strabismus.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I'm not getting where the comment is from. Is this from another forum?

And no, I don't think there is an obligation to do anything beyond giving the exam, explaining the findings, and recommending the best way to correct the error.

Occupation
    I'm not getting where the comment is from. Is this from another forum?

And no, I don't think there is an obligation to do anything beyond giving the exam, explaining the findings, and recommending the best way to correct the error.
    it was an anonymous negative rep

I thought instead of going the negative route, we could debate it.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    it was an anonymous negative rep

I thought instead of going the negative route, we could debate it.
    A regular "hit & run" huh?

I'll toss you a greenie to neutralize it!;)

I prefer the debate route as well.

(Wanna bet it wasn't an optician? Now watch, I'll get smacked to!)

Occupation
    If anyone gets a negative mark I will drop my big green hammer and make it right so no sweat.:cheers:

I think it undermines the doctor, let them focus that time and energy on provideing a accurate refraction and assesing the patients health, let e do the same with the frame and lenses.

I am still curious if a doctor recommends a lens such as CR, Hi-Index, or material other than Trivex or Poly who is held responsible for any potential eye injuries as a result of the material recommendation?

Thread Information