Thread: Mac/ Airport users???

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Mac/ Airport users???

Hi all, trying to set up wireless for my son so he can do his Xbox 360 live thing and I cannot get it to work. Has anyone set this up? I have DSL and when I hook it all up I cannot get my internet to work. Let me also say that I am a bit of a computer idiot so it may be something simple and stupid that I am not doing.
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Karen, it could be something as simple as your ISP vendor. Some only allow a single connection via their modem. If so, you need to "spoof" the MAC ADDRESS in your router to the modem. I will assume for a moment, you have a router since your hooking multiple computers to it. It is not overly complicated and the help feature on your router should explain how.
    J. R. Smith

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    too bad I have no idea how to do that........(can you see the blonde hairs poking through next to the brunette ones?;)) Wanna come down here and help me? You could stop by the lab and write the whole trip off......

Will I see you in NYC?
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Sorry Karen, I will not be in NYC (especially in Jan) until March.

What type of router do you have? I use NetGear, but most work very similar. You might go to the router manufacturer site and search for "spoofing a MAC address" there. I know Netgear has all the details on performing this. You will need to find your PC's MAC address in either event. To do that, bring up the old command prompt and type

ipconfig /all

That will give you your PC's MAC address (funny 2 digit letter/numbers seperated by minus signs. You want the one under your network adapter.

Basically, what you are doing (once you set it up) is having your router pretend it's the PC your internet provider thinks it's connected to. Therefore, any other PC (or game console) you hook to the router is sub-netted under the single MAC address. The router talks to the ISP and the router assigns each PC/laptop/game console an internal address. As far as your ISP is concerned, they only see the single MAC address.

You should, of course, be using the router as a firewall anyway. So this helps keep your IP addresses private.

About as much as I can put here without writing a book, but it really isn't as compex as it (or I) make it seem. I bet whomever handles your lab network could show you quickly.
    J. R. Smith

Thread Information