Thread: soft metal in cold

C-10
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

soft metal in cold

Just had a client in he is wearing a magic Twist form Viva. Purchase frame in the summer says these are the most comfortable frame he has worn. One problem when he goes out in the cold frame turns soft. Today it is -18 C outside I put the eyewear out for 5 mims. and sure enough it starts to go soft soon as I bring it into the heat frame goes back to ordinal shape has any one got any information on this.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've never dealt with the magic twist specificly, but I'm not a big fan of Viva's lines to begin with. I don't like their quality, so I'm not suprised that the memory metal goes soft. Does it keep it's shape, or is it actually warping while the person is wearing them? If it's warping, I would get another frame from viva and see if it's just a bad one.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Stainless gets harder with heat, most all other metals get softer. Don't know about memory metals (but then I have never been and don't intend to ever be anywhere that the temperature is below zero). My old boss used to have instructions that if it ever got below zero to wire me at The FountainBleu in Maimi when things warmed up.

Chip

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralKnight View Post
    I've never dealt with the magic twist specificly, but I'm not a big fan of Viva's lines to begin with. I don't like their quality, so I'm not suprised that the memory metal goes soft. Does it keep it's shape, or is it actually warping while the person is wearing them? If it's warping, I would get another frame from viva and see if it's just a bad one.
    You had trouble with Viva quality? Which lines? I never have them break.

As for the magic twist, it is odd, because the rep specifically told us that they have done the coldness test. Apparently, some other memory metals do that. I agree that trying another frame is the best solution. Also, phone up the Viva rep.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Meeh, I guess quality was a bad word for it. I haven't had any more (or any less, for that matter) breakages with our viva stuff... but they feel cheap to me. I dunno, I guess I'm just a frame snob :D

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralKnight View Post
    Meeh, I guess quality was a bad word for it. I haven't had any more (or any less, for that matter) breakages with our viva stuff... but they feel cheap to me. I dunno, I guess I'm just a frame snob :D
    I will say they are comparable or better in quality to Opal, Centennial, Adidas (had a lot of troubles with them), Safilo, Aspex, and such. Of course, there are other lines and there are better lines.

C-10
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I try another frame on the board the same thing happen I just email the rep.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    I will say they are comparable or better in quality to Opal, Centennial, Adidas (had a lot of troubles with them), Safilo, Aspex, and such. Of course, there are other lines and there are better lines.
    Oh, I'm sure they're fine. They're still on the board, afterall lol. I'm just not a fan of them. I guess I can't give any real reason as to why I feel that way, I just do :hammer:

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would just bend the customers frame until it breaks and then tell them the frame is not under warranty. Make them buy a new frame that doesnt have the same problem.

That's what i call a win-win situation.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Crier

I dont sell Viva frames anymore, the company closed my account because there were too many frames returned under warranty.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by opti-refractonator View Post
    I would just bend the customers frame until it breaks and then tell them the frame is not under warranty. Make them buy a new frame that doesnt have the same problem.

That's what i call a win-win situation.

Uh, that's what I call taking advantage of your customers. I hope I never step foot in your dispensary with a problem :finger:

Thread Information