Thread: Optician Mark Ups

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Excalibur

Optician Mark Ups

What is the average mark up for lenses in your store? What is the average mark up for frames? What is the average mark up for add-ons such as A/R coating? Does your mark up differ from industry averages?

How many opticians charge cost plus a flat dispensing rate for their wares?

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    What is the average mark up for lenses in your store? What is the average mark up for frames? What is the average mark up for add-ons such as A/R coating? Does your mark up differ from industry averages?

How many opticians charge cost plus a flat dispensing rate for their wares?
    As per posting guidelines costs are not permitted to be discussed in the general forums.

I'd ask that you'd join the professional forum to discuss these things, but I realize that wouldn't help that ax you have to grind.

Excalibur
    Quote Originally Posted by k12311997 View Post
    As per posting guidelines costs are not permitted to be discussed in the general forums.

I'd ask that you'd join the professional forum to discuss these things, but I realize that wouldn't help that ax you have to grind.
    You are right. Why would opticians want to discuss their mark ups??

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Seriously? Again? You seriously have to stop making new threads just to take pot shots.

Look, there are specific guidelines on what is appropriate on this forum, and what is not. There IS a forum for discussing pricing, etc, but it's not open to the public, and it SHOULDN'T be. You know damn well that markups are fairly even (atleast when it comes to independants) or else there would be no way for them to be competitive. Do you go around telling all your patients how much markup is on YOUR glasses? I doubt it. So don't get snippy when we don't want to discuss it in open forums. It's $5 to join the professional forum and get your answer. With your 16,000 patients I would think you could scrape that up.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Excalibur,

You are embarassing yourself, and by association all the other optometrists who post here.

The posting guidelines for this forum are quite clear. We do not discuss markups, wholesale prices, etc. because it is an open forum. It is just not appropriate because none of us want someone coming into our office saying "I know you only pay X for these lenses so you can discount them for me." Consumers will ignore the thousands of dollars in edging systems, etc. needed to cut the lenses.

All three Os have their place in the eyecare industry. Personally I don't believe opticians should refract, but I also don't believe optometrists should be doing surgical procedures. Not what I signed up for.

Optiboard is a great resource. I get a lot out of it. It becomes a lot less enjoyable when a pointless bout of name calling starts. You're not the only one to blame here, and some of these guys will take every opportunity to tell you how optometrists are somewhere between bellybutton lint and pond scum in their opinion. Trying to stir things up only reinforces this opinion and the rift between our two professions. How annoyed do you get when you read an ophthalmologist's opinion that only medically trained doctors should do anything ocular health related?

Excalibur
    Several things:

1. My question about mark-ups is fair, but granted it could be dealt with in another forum.
    2. Optiboard is a very good resource. I learned a few interesting things about several progressives whilst perusing the board.
    3. I don't see optometry lobbying for surgical procedures, and I don't foresee that for a very long time... if ever.
    4. Optometrists have an excellent track record in caring for patient's ocular health. Please read the following report by an academic panel struck to study this issue:
    http://hprac.org/en/reports/resource...il_2006_EN.pdf
    If you read pages 115-129 of this report, it will clarify your misconceptions.
    5. I am not allowed to mark up in my jurisdiction. Unlike opticians who typically charge 250% or 300% markups.

Sorry to induce the shrill responses that I received from my post.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You're not allowed to mark up? So you charge COST for everything in your dispensary? I somehow doubt that.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Several things:

1. My question about mark-ups is fair, but granted it could be dealt with in another forum.
    It was an inflammatory question when taken in context with your other posts.

2. Optiboard is a very good resource. I learned a few interesting things about several progressives whilst perusing the board.
    Great. I hope you learn lots. This board has certainly increased my interest in our office dispensary, and has encouraged me to try new things.

3. I don't see optometry lobbying for surgical procedures, and I don't foresee that for a very long time... if ever.
    There are a couple US states where there are surgical procedures being performed by optometrists. Things like blepharoplasties and YAG capsulotomies. When I was at the AAO in October I could have participated in workshops for ocular injections and ocular suturing.

4. Optometrists have an excellent track record in caring for patient's ocular health. Please read the following report by an academic panel struck to study this issue:
    http://hprac.org/en/reports/resource...il_2006_EN.pdf
    If you read pages 115-129 of this report, it will clarify your misconceptions.
    I'm not sure if you're directing this at me or not. You do realize I'm an OD in Ontario as well......

5. I am not allowed to mark up in my jurisdiction. Unlike opticians who typically charge 250% or 300% markups.
    Again, this should not be discussed too much on an open forum. I'll send you a PM.

Thread Information