Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Optician Mark Ups

Excalibur
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    That is because you are an OD who has the convenience of seeing many patients for eye-exams during th week. I can tell you that a private, independent dispensary cannot live off of cost plus.
    Honest answer. Fair enough.

Excalibur
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    Good, I don't think that opticians mark ups are excessive I think Optometry's fee's are too low, you guys cut your own throats every chance you get. If you raise your fees maybe you won't have to work so hard and then you'll have more time to see someone elses point of view.
    Your second line is a back-handed compliment, and given our recent detente, I expected a more suitable reply.

Thankfully I have good certified optometric techs. They are doing the leg-work for me now so I have time to reply to your post.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Your second line is a back-handed compliment, and given our recent detente, I expected a more suitable reply.

Thankfully I have good certified optometric techs. They are doing the leg-work for me now so I have time to reply to your post.
    Touche.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

bilateral peripheral scotoma LandLord's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    Yeah, that makes sense too. You make money off of the volume. Saying that, designer names are not driving the volume, so I keep it the same.

Also, I know you did not mean anything by it, but be careful with using the line "if you know anything about business."
    For-Life, I know YOU are very business savvy. I meant to imply that anyone who criticizes opticians for marking up frames must know very little about business. Thanks for clearing that up.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    a.k.a. pachymetry
    Don't kid the regular players... pachymetry is done using a pachometer (small device attached to a biomicroscope) to measure cornea thickness, and doesn't involve ultrasound at all.:finger:

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by tmorse View Post
    Don't kid the regular players... pachymetry is done using a pachometer (small device attached to a biomicroscope) to measure cornea thickness, and doesn't involve ultrasound at all.:finger:
    Correction, pachymeters are not attached to the slit lamp, typically hand held, and DO use ultasound technology to measure the corneal thickness.:p

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Excalibur,

Is it unfair to our patients that we charge a mark up or is it unfair to you because of the very unusual regulations in your corner of the world?

I'm sure that if you practiced elsewhere you would still follow cost plus after all it is the only right thing to do.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Oedema View Post
    Correction, pachymeters are not attached to the slit lamp, typically hand held, and DO use ultasound technology to measure the corneal thickness.:p
    There was a dusty old optical pachymeter at UW which was attached to a slit lamp. Used a split prism much like a tonometer tip. I don't remember the exact mechanics of it but it sure was ancient. Pretty similar results to the ultrasound devices though.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralKnight View Post
    So, not cost then. You charge a 'dispensing fee', I include the fee in my price, or 'markup' as you say. Everything is 'marked up' in this world. How much do you think medication costs? You wanna talk markup, heh. As much as we're optical professionals, we still need to make a living. You're the oddball when it comes to pricing, as most other dispensarys will have similar markup to eachother to be competitive.

i seen that little "heh" comming!!!...jk
    equal opportunity offender!!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I worked as a sales rep for a small company for about a year after getting my opticianry license as I was trying to figure out what end of the business I wanted to start in. I had several optometrists in ontario as customers that asked that I increase the cost of the frame on the invoice and give a larger volume discount at the end of each quarter. So od, spare us the "I only charge the wholesale cost" bs. Od's are just as smart, slick, slimy, and ballsy as any other business person out there. You may fool the public with what you are saying, but don't think that you can fool the rest of us.

I will reply again later, I am angry and need to go bend some frames!!!!

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by opti-refractonator View Post
    I worked as a sales rep for a small company for about a year after getting my opticianry license as I was trying to figure out what end of the business I wanted to start in. I had several optometrists in ontario as customers that asked that I increase the cost of the frame on the invoice and give a larger volume discount at the end of each quarter. So od, spare us the "I only charge the wholesale cost" bs. Od's are just as smart, slick, slimy, and ballsy as any other business person out there. You may fool the public with what you are saying, but don't think that you can fool the rest of us.

Yep, Optiq gives a 40 percent discount. The reason is specifically because of ODs (as told to me by two of their reps). So the frame costs $69, but with the discount, the office only pays $41.40; however, when sold to the client, the frame is priced out at its cost of $69 (which is not the real cost).

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I'm afraid to ask...

LandLord comtemplates asking the question that is burning his tongue. The fear of opening a can of worms is almost too much for him to bear. Nevertheless, he is couragous.

"Excuse me, Dr. Excalibur, sir," he asks apologetically.

"WHAT IS IT, YOU LOWLIFE RETAIL OPTICIAN!!! CAN'T YOU SEE YOU'RE DISTURBING ME???? HOW CAN I COUNT ALL THIS CASH IF YOU KEEP BOTHERING ME?!!" shouts Lord Excalibur to the unworthy optician.

"Do you........ have a volume discount on your frames, your majesty?"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Excalibur: You want answers?

LandLord: I want the truth!

Excalibur: YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!
    LandLord: DID YOU RECEIVE A VOLUME DISCOUNT ON YOUR FRAMES!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Ory View Post
    There was a dusty old optical pachymeter at UW which was attached to a slit lamp. Used a split prism much like a tonometer tip. I don't remember the exact mechanics of it but it sure was ancient. Pretty similar results to the ultrasound devices though.
    That pachometer is as dusty (and old) as I am, so I stand corrected.:shiner:

Excalibur
    Quote Originally Posted by LandLord View Post
    LandLord comtemplates asking the question that is burning his tongue. The fear of opening a can of worms is almost too much for him to bear. Nevertheless, he is couragous.

"Excuse me, Dr. Excalibur, sir," he asks apologetically.

"WHAT IS IT, YOU LOWLIFE RETAIL OPTICIAN!!! CAN'T YOU SEE YOU'RE DISTURBING ME???? HOW CAN I COUNT ALL THIS CASH IF YOU KEEP BOTHERING ME?!!" shouts Lord Excalibur to the unworthy optician.

"Do you........ have a volume discount on your frames, your majesty?"
    Are you suffering from optometry-envy? If you wish to enjoy the justified rewards enjoyed by optometrists, you may wish to become more studious and apply to optometry school. Warning: you require excellent grades as it is quite competitive -- so start studying hard!

Excalibur
    Excalibur: You want answers?

LandLord: I want the truth!

Excalibur: YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!
    LandLord: DID YOU RECEIVE A VOLUME DISCOUNT ON YOUR FRAMES!!
    I trust you receive volume discounts too, which further increases your exorbitant profit margins.

Excalibur
    Quote Originally Posted by opti-refractonator View Post

Is it true that many optical shops don't pay their bills regularly too? I have heard from several suppliers that numerous opticals don't pay their bills regularly or they close up shop (only to open under a different business name) and leave the vendor hanging. In the end, the good accounts have to pay for this sort of business practice.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are you suffering from optometry-envy? If you wish to enjoy the justified rewards enjoyed by optometrists, you may wish to become more studious and apply to optometry school. Warning: you require excellent grades as it is quite competitive -- so start studying hard!
    Yes. I might. And if I do, I won't criticize opticians for trying to make an honest living doing what they love while at the same time competing with people like you who hire a receptionist to dispense because you really don't give a crap about dispensing.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Yes. I might. And if I do, I won't criticize opticians for trying to make an honest living doing what they love while at the same time competing with people like you who hire a receptionist to dispense because you really don't give a crap about dispensing.
    Landlord, you know each optician is a money grubbing millionaire. We have our huge secrets

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I trust you receive volume discounts too, which further increases your exorbitant profit margins.
    I don't pretend to sell things at cost and then charge a fee for services not even rendered by a licensed professional. ie receptionist.

Look, there's nothing wrong with you making a mint at your job. Let's face it, OD's are well paid. Why do MD's refract? Because an eye exam is much easier and more profitable than a basic medical visit.

Just don't go around with a holy attitude and try to yank the skeletons out of opticians closets. What's that old expression?

"When you try to open the little guy's closet, be sure your own is empty first." Okay I just made that up but it works.
    Last edited by LandLord; 12-15-2007 at 11:57 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is it true that many optical shops don't pay their bills regularly too? I have heard from several suppliers that numerous opticals don't pay their bills regularly or they close up shop (only to open under a different business name) and leave the vendor hanging. In the end, the good accounts have to pay for this sort of business practice.
    Your axe is not getting any sharper. Grind away, it just shows your true character.

I heard from supplier that an optometrist once bought frames from a mortician that was stealing them from his dead clients. I think all ODs must do the same - At least that's the rumor I'm starting.

I find your posts insulting and pointless. You have been rude, and you need to apologize.

That must be pretty bad coming from an American to a Canadian.

Excalibur
    I'm sure that when my certified optometric tech and I put our puny little heads together when we are dispensing a patient, we are doing no worse than you would. :p

Excalibur
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post
    Your axe is not getting any sharper. Grind away, it just shows your true character.

I heard from supplier that an optometrist once bought frames from a mortician that was stealing them from his dead clients. I think all ODs must do the same - At least that's the rumor I'm starting.

I find your posts insulting and pointless. You have been rude, and you need to apologize.

That must be pretty bad coming from an American to a Canadian.
    You are obviously not reading the posts that are being written to counter mine. You think it's fair too that I pose a question only to be attacked by several others for trying to make a point?

Let me make my position clear:

1. Opticians should not be permitted to perform independent sight testing.
    2. Optometrists should be permitted to hire opticians.

You may not like #1. Fine. We can argue this one until the cows come home, but as a profession you are not qualified to independently sight test. Independent sight testing is something that occurs in Third World countries and is a minimalist approach to 'eye care'.

You may like #2, but I'm not sure because it seems you don't like anything I post.

Excalibur
    Quote Originally Posted by k12311997 View Post
    Excalibur,

Is it unfair to our patients that we charge a mark up or is it unfair to you because of the very unusual regulations in your corner of the world?

I'm sure that if you practiced elsewhere you would still follow cost plus after all it is the only right thing to do.

Patients are shown the math. When we go over the cost of our frame and lenses and add-ons such as A/R and compare them to an average mark-up in a retailer, they are shocked to see how much value we provide them.

I am not allowed to advertise to anyone but my patients. Opticians and retailers can advertise in the media as much their pocketbook will allow. And they most certainly exercise that option!

Excalibur
    Quote Originally Posted by tmorse View Post
    Ooops!

Pachymetry does use ultrasound. You are referring to much, much older technology which has been replaced a long time ago.

As a regular player you may wish to read up on this topic. Are you currently a sight tester? Is this the type of outdated knowledge you are being given in your courses? If so, this is not good!

Thread Information