Thread: Newer polycarb with fewer distortion

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Question Newer polycarb with fewer distortion

Please direct me if this has been covered ad nauseum before. I am having a discussion on another forum about children and duty to warn. One OD said that the newer polycarbonate techniques most of the early distortions are gone. I have heard this before.

Do those of you who have worked with poly for years and years think that it has improved significantly over the years? Even if this is so do many of you choose not to work with poly?

-Nate
    Last edited by Bonilla-warford; 12-01-2007 at 10:12 PM.
    Bright Eyes Family Vision Care
    http://brighteyesnews.wordpress.com/

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper No jungle drums yet....................

Quote Originally Posted by Bonilla-warford View Post

Do those of you who have worked with poly for years and years think that it has improved significantly over the years? Even if this is so do many of you choose not to work with poly?

-Nate

If one manufacturer would ha poly lens that is significantly better than anything else, he would have let the jungle drums send the message around the world.

Banned
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonilla-warford View Post
    Please direct me if this has been covered ad nauseum before. I am having a discussion on another forum about children and duty to warn. One OD said that new with the newer polycarbonate techniques most of the early distortions are gone. I have heard this before.

-Nate
    BS

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Well, at least they no longer have visible carbon granules in them now.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think the wrappers on the blanks are better.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

Poly

Poly quality has improved for a number of reasons. There are differences in the manufacturing of poly lenses. Some have more stress than others.

Somo offers an excellent poly finished lens, with great AR and super hydophobic. Good pricing etc.

Resolution is offers the least stress but there lenses are more expensive.

Many improvements are the result of the manufacturers controlling the raw poly better with a better purity level of raw material.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by AWTECH View Post
    Poly quality has improved for a number of reasons. There are differences in the manufacturing of poly lenses. Some have more stress than others.

Somo offers an excellent poly finished lens, with great AR and super hydophobic. Good pricing etc.

Resolution is offers the least stress but there lenses are more expensive.

Many improvements are the result of the manufacturers controlling the raw poly better with a better purity level of raw material.

So... in your opinion is newer, better poly so much better that one wouldn't go to a newer material now, like trivex or high-index?

-Nate

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

Lens Materials

So... in your opinion is newer, better poly so much better that one wouldn't go to a newer material now, like trivex or high-index?
    Trivex and Hi Index have there place. For rimless drill mounts the safest way to go is Trivex followed by 1.67 Hi-index. Poly still has some issues when drilled such as potential for stress cracks. This depends on the orginal stress in the injected lens and the method used to drill the poly. You don't want stress induced during edging or the area where drilled can start to crack.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Thank you music industry

The music industry should recieve most of the credit for improving poly and processes. All cds and dvd are poly and until they through their huge research budgets at some ot the problems poly had alot of issues. The product today is much better than that produced even 10 years ago.

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by crosseyedwildcat View Post
    The music industry should recieve most of the credit for improving poly and processes. All cds and dvd are poly and until they through their huge research budgets at some ot the problems poly had alot of issues. The product today is much better than that produced even 10 years ago.
    Ding Ding Ding Ding DING!!! We have a winner.

The one and only reason poly is better than it was oh so many years ago when it's ABBE value was first determined (and never re-visited).

Optima's Resolution lenses spout off about less bifringment, but that's due to lens design, not material quality.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Birerefringence-I know I can't spell

Has anyone checked a edged and mounted resolution vs any other quality poly mounted lens. I think you'll be suprised at what you find.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiyoda View Post

The one and only reason poly is better than it was oh so many years ago when it's ABBE value was first determined (and never re-visited).

Optima's Resolution lenses spout off about less bifringment, but that's due to lens design, not material quality.
    The Resolution lens has less stess due to the method used to manufacture, not the lens design. There process is more of an extrusion process where other poly lenses are injected. The fact is, stress is created by the pressure used during manufacturing. The faster you make a poly lens the more stress. So the least cost poly lens will have more stress.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiyoda View Post

Interesting. So does anyone have any idea about how to determine the quality of some some of the current lenses we receive when we order poly? Many people like to bad-mouth poly, and maybe for good reason, but if there is a way to get better-than-average poly, I'd like to know abou it.

Thanks,

Nate
    Last edited by Bonilla-warford; 12-03-2007 at 07:22 PM.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I can't see any distortions in the new improved poly lenses. Of course I was wearing my old poly lenses when I was examining them. :hammer:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    resolution is very clear, and a great lens..but just as everyone has said..its expensive..im not sure there are enough differences between one poly lens and another to warrent the worry..these days many lens manufacturers use ISO quality control (if not ISO something close), and the only requirements for anyone is to meet government standards, if someone goes beyond those its probably not enough to realy see a difference...IMO poly is poly

now about that 1.67 in a drill mount...ive never used it for drills, because i always worried about it chipping..is this or isnt this a concern?
    equal opportunity offender!!

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    The tensile strength for a 1.67 is pretty ideal for drills.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    im actualy getting a par of drills for myself...i might have to try that. I just for some reason never trusted it..which doesnt make any sense because if im not mistaken it just as, if not more, popular than poly when drills are concerned.
    Last edited by bhess25; 12-03-2007 at 09:52 PM. Reason: had to calrify

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Review of optometry link

You may want to take a look at this article from review of optometry (isn't google great). It is old, but other than the sales percentages are correct.

http://www.revoptom.com/archive/Features/ro0501f7.htm

You may also want to check out the polycarbonate lens council website for info. They may have an agenda, but will have a good amount of data available. YOu local lab should also be able to get you some information.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by crosseyedwildcat View Post
    You may want to take a look at this article from review of optometry (isn't google great). It is old, but other than the sales percentages are correct.

http://www.revoptom.com/archive/Features/ro0501f7.htm

You may also want to check out the polycarbonate lens council website for info. They may have an agenda, but will have a good amount of data available. YOu local lab should also be able to get you some information.

ok i had to stop at tinting and CT...1mm would create waves in the lens and render it useless...i realy dont believe in the 1.3 numbers given by ansi, i think 1.5 is the safest as far as accuracy to RX is concerned..also 1mm CT on plorized, absoloutly not, if i were to surface a polorized that thin i could almost guarentee problems with seperation...as far as tinting im not gonna knock it down, but it needs to be said that it will not properly tint without a GOOD tintable coating...wait ill keep reading see what else i find...also keep in mind that while poly is a decent material, cr39 is still more opticaly perfect (however easier to scratch, and roughly 12% thicker), the only real way to go if you want the benefits of poly and optics of cr39 is trivex..i recently made my move to trivex (after working with it since its inception)..and im more than impressed with the optics it delivers as well as the durability of poly...the only drawback for trivex currently is that its not available in photocromics, this from a sales point could be a problem..however in todays market of 2 pair specials (like ours at eyemasters, visionworks, drx eyes.etc...ECCA has a lot of names)..its typically not a problem to offer a free tint on the second pair...IMO trivex (I talked down about this material for this whole time, and look at me now) may very well be the way of the future...ohh and the other drawback to trivex, above a -3.00 with any significant amount of cyl (-5.00 without cyl) it gets a little thick, but still undeniably clear..its also offered in FT's, progressives, and just about any coating you want,and it has inherent UV blocking properties...my only two choices, trivex, or cr39.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Give John at Tri City a call, I'm sure he can give you all the information you're looking for and then some!

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    the only drawback for trivex currently is that its not available in photocromics
    Both Younger Trilogy and Hoya Phoenix are available with Transitions. You can find Transitions Trivex in SV, ST28, and progressive designs. Hoya has finished SV available as well. Did you mean that there is no Trivex polarized? That would be a true statement.
    RT

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    Both Younger Trilogy and Hoya Phoenix are available with Transitions. You can find Transitions Trivex in SV, ST28, and progressive designs. Hoya has finished SV available as well. Did you mean that there is no Trivex polarized? That would be a true statement.

yeah sorry about that...people with A.D.H.D. should stop typing after a certain level of tired has been reached!!!

Thread Information