Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OD's what undergrad degree did you have? HELP

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile OD's what undergrad degree did you have? HELP

I'm going to a four year I want to become an Optometrist but don't know what to major in during my undergrad, please help! What did you OD's majored in during undergrad? and what bachelor? is it possible to have a bachelor degree of criminal justice with pre-med courses and still get into Optometry school?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

quick answer: doesn't matter

My degree is in Environmental Science. But really, as long as you have the pre-reqs, it doesn't matter. Major in something you like.

Even more important, make sure that being an OD is exactly what you want to do. Shadow and talk to talks. It is a big investment of time and money, but can be very rewarding. There are much easier ways to make money...

-Nate
    Bright Eyes Family Vision Care
    http://brighteyesnews.wordpress.com/

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In over 33 years, the biggest problem area I've seen of OD's is business. If I were going for an undergrad that would help me run my office it would be a business degree, hands down.

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I would suggest taking some business courses as well as all the requirements.

Similarly, after graduation you may be working in some less than ideal situations, not exactly what you had your heart set on. Make sure you visit with several different modes of practice (mall setting, walmart, private practice). Also, I'd start reading up on the medical system in the US and where it is headed. Make sure you are doing all this for the right reasons.

good luck

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our OD has a BA in anthropology, minor in math. Hated chemistry and biology. Great dr.

Take business classes and hang out with interesting and witty people. Their personality will wear off on you and make you a more likeable person. If you are likeable, people will want to see you. Regardless of what you charge.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

business major

Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    In over 33 years, the biggest problem area I've seen of OD's is business. If I were going for an undergrad that would help me run my office it would be a business degree, hands down.
    This is truly great advice. I got one class on business management. A one-hour class. When I bought this practice I knew nothing about business and I had to hire an expensive consultant. But I'm learning every day!

-Nate

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    By far, the business degree advice is great....
    I have worked with many many OD's over the years and the Optometry schools just do not give them any business education. Great great advice!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I decided to do the early entrance route so I just did three years of undergrad and finished at the top of our graduating class in OD school.

All you have to do is take the necessary pre-requisite classes and do well and know what you're getting into. For example, spend some time with 1 to 3 OD's before your interview so the school thinks you're taking this seriously.

At least I saved a year of life and tuition. :)
    -Steve

Occupation
    Optometrist
    BTW, most of running a business is just having common sense. If you're an idiot, you'll manage your patients and run your practice like an idiot.
    -Steve

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Odd that O.D.'s big push over the last few years has been to promote thier "medical" ablilities and yet almost all seem to agree that business management is thier greatest concern.
    Unfortunately medicine has taken the same bitter turn.
    Whatever happened to serving humanity for it's own sake?

Chip

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

common sense

I agree with you, mostly. I'd say that common sense plus experience is what it takes. In the very, very beginning it is hard to make good decisions when you don't even know the terminology. "24 piece buy-in" "60-90 terms" "tiered markup" I probably looked a bit like a fool in the first few months.

But every decision you make either pans out or doesn't and you learn from it and put yourself in a better position to make more decisions now...

-Nate

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Odd that O.D.'s big push over the last few years has been to promote thier "medical" ablilities and yet almost all seem to agree that business management is thier greatest concern.
    Unfortunately medicine has taken the same bitter turn.

Chip
    Because if you don't have the business skill to play the code/bill game, you can't get paid for your services and you are stuck with tens of thousands of dollars for cool toys.

For what its worth, I don't take any medical insurance plans and only 3 vision plans. Cash pay or referrals out. It is too hard in Florida to fight just to be allowed to play the medical game part way, and vision is my thing.

The Vision therapy in my practice is helping humanity for its own sake. I don't make much money on it (yet), but it sure can be amazingly compelling.

-Nate
    Last edited by Bonilla-warford; 12-01-2007 at 11:13 PM. Reason: add VT bit

bilateral peripheral scotoma LandLord's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Optometry in the UK

Any OD's here study in the UK? What was your experience getting licensed in North America? I'm thinking of moving to England to take a 3 year optometry program.

Even though both UK and North American schools require a science background before entering optometry, UK schools allow entry by opticians, while Canadian optometry schools don't.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I can't speak for Optometry education from the UK, but I know a podiatrist who's license didn't transfer when they moved here from the UK.
    -Steve

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LandLord View Post
    Any OD's here study in the UK? What was your experience getting licensed in North America? I'm thinking of moving to England to take a 3 year optometry program.
    Take a A THREE (3)-YEAR COURSE:drop: What, instead of the five (5)-year courser offered at the University of Waterloo

Aren't you one that suggested that taking the shorter BC opticianry course rather than the 2-year public college course is WRONG???:hammer:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    FYI, Waterloo is a 4-year program.

I didn't suggest taking the BC course is wrong. I said offering it is wrong.

Besides, cutting out 25% of study time isn't the same as cutting out 75%, which is what you do.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Besides, cutting out 25% of study time isn't the same as cutting out 75%, which is what you do.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

poster------>me

thanks for the advices guys, but i think i'm going for criminal justice since that's the only thing i'm interested and it'll make my years in undergrad goes by faster. if i take other majors i think i'll just fall asleep and retake the classes over and over again.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LandLord View Post

Most Optometry programs first require a 2-3 undergraduate degree . Waterloo had a general 1st year of basic science,followed by 4 years of optometry-related courses. Their 5-year year program lead to an Bachelor of Science in Optometry. And you want something SHORTER???

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Biology is a common major for many OD students. That's what I did, but it really doesn't matter as long as you meet the school's course requirments. Some optometry schools will allow you to apply after 2 years of undergrad, making for 6 years total study time. Most, however, require that you have a degree first, making 8 years the norm. I am sure that Waterloo will NOT admit any students with just one undergrad year under their belt. I fact, it's not uncommon for optometry students at waterloo to already have a masters or PhD.
    Like all professions, optometry has its good days and bad, but I am glad I studied optometry, and for me its is a fantastic profession, and has exceeded my expectations. Go for it!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonegoat View Post
    Most, however, require that you have a degree first, making 8 years the norm.
    So LANDLORD wants a three (3) instead of an eight (8) year Optometry education. A whopping 62.5% less study time... SCANDALOUS!!!;)

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can remember when a one year course at the University of Houston was offered.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I majored in Natural Science,.. a blend of Bio, Chem, and Physics. While it can be done, majoring in something like business, and only acquiring the minimum in the natural sciences before entering optometry school, is going to make for one very difficult optometry school career. I wouldn't recommend it.

The business acumen needed to run an optometric or a medical practice is not taught in most college business courses anyway. To some degree, business acumen is something you are born with, but it can and should be learned along the way. Business skills should become a "hobby" that you are dedicated to. There are plenty of opportunities to learn business skills at trade shows, professional organization meetings, and even web sites.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Dear genzcop

It really doesn't matter what degree. I majored in business administration but took all of my pre-professional courses concurrently. 5 year plan but it worked.

I think the only reason students select the biological sciences is the opportunity to get LORs from science professors. That to me is the only reason to major in a science.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post

Chip
    When did that ever happen? Never.
    Sumarians enslaved people
    Egyptians enslaved people
    Romans also
    Americans
    Russians

The good ol' days weren't that good. You were just young, so they seemed better.

Thread Information