Thread: Executive Progressive

Master OptiBoarder sandeepgoodbole's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Blue Jumper Executive Progressive

Todays progresives consists of a seamlessly joined surfaces which have

1.Distance Rx.
    2.Near Rx.

The Width of the Distance zone is unlimited i.e. equal to what ever the width of frame may be.

The width of the Near Zones remarkably poor ..may be 28 mm .Roughly, only 50% of the width of the frame.

Width of the Intemidiate zones is much sqizzed to may be 10 % of the frame width.. in most progresives.

Shall R & D people working over progresives sooner or later succed in creating a design that will have Unlimited zone width for Every Zone ?

The Product may be Named as Executive Progresive.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sandeepgoodbole View Post

1.Distance Rx.
    2.Near Rx.

The Width of the Distance zone is unlimited i.e. equal to what ever the width of frame may be.

The width of the Near Zones remarkably poor ..may be 28 mm .Roughly, only 50% of the width of the frame.

Width of the Intemidiate zones is much sqizzed to may be 10 % of the frame width.. in most progresives.

Shall R & D people working over progresives sooner or later succed in creating a design that will have Unlimited zone width for Every Zone ?

That might be kind of like looking through a funhouse mirror. Not as pleasing as it sounds.
    Fleming

Efficiency is doing things right; Effectiveness is doing the right things …Peter Drucker

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Executive Progressive

I am happy to see your post. We have a patient, previously a bifocal wearer and new to progressives who dearly loves them and is far from being a non adapt. As a matter of fact she says the progressives are a 1000 times better than her old bifocals. We put her into a Definity Short. I am not sure the Definity's read area is large enough. She is hyperopic and does a lot of speed reading. Of course with her progressives she has to move her head but with speed reading that is a big no no. We could use a separate pair of glasses for reading....but to think a little further. To experiment a little. What is the progressive with the widest read area. Any suggestions for a lens or anything else.

hmmm

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by SunnyNC View Post
    I am happy to see your post. We have a patient, previously a bifocal wearer and new to progressives who dearly loves them and is far from being a non adapt. As a matter of fact she says the progressives are a 1000 times better than her old bifocals. We put her into a Definity Short. I am not sure the Definity's read area is large enough. She is hyperopic and does a lot of speed reading. Of course with her progressives she has to move her head but with speed reading that is a big no no. We could use a separate pair of glasses for reading....but to think a little further. To experiment a little. What is the progressive with the widest read area. Any suggestions for a lens or anything else.

hmmm
    SunnyNC
    Sounds like you put her in one of the finest short progressives available The "elipse" might be wider, but it has other unwanted characterists she wouldn't appreciate. I have run into this situation numerous times. If she is a speed reader your only option (in my opinion) is to put her in single vision readers and let her scan away. I don't know of a progressive that will "really " let you do that. For progressives, my pereference is: Definity, Definity Short, Physio 360 (for refractive surgery patients as well as hi cyl) and I still use Comfort/Panamic for patients who don't like change. This Optiboard is a great forum.
    Fleming

Efficiency is doing things right; Effectiveness is doing the right things …Peter Drucker

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For my hyperopes, I like the Hoya GP wide. They seem to prefer it over varilux and definity.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    For my hyperopes, I like the Hoya GP wide. They seem to prefer it over varilux and definity.
    Yes the Hoya GP is also an excellent lens, but I still don't think the speed reader would like it. There are no progressives out there that do everything, some times patients need a second "specific purpose" pair: computer, crafts, safety, driving etc. I think I'm getting hooked on Optiboard.
    Fleming

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If she needs them to have a distance area, consider Sola Max. It has a very good near and intermediate area but still has a distance area. The distance is not as good on the sides as many other progressives but is still very useable.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Sandeep:

I agree and with the state of freeform technology it should be possible. Some "experts" will tell you it isn;t possible and others will say it isn't needed, oh well. I think it's possible and needed and should be done.

Quote Originally Posted by sandeepgoodbole View Post

1.Distance Rx.
    2.Near Rx.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Design guys chime in...

Fleming said:
    That might be kind of like looking through a funhouse mirror. Not as pleasing as it sounds.
    I agree! I think it would create images like a parabolic mirror. It would distort by widening images. However if turned vertically I'd look quite a bit thinner:bbg:

PS Yes Fleming the board can get addictive:cheers:

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Fleming said:I agree! I think it would create images like a parabolic mirror. It would distort by widening images. However if turned vertically I'd look quite a bit thinner:bbg:
    Not if it's done right.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Rx my windshield please...

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    Not if it's done right.
    But according to AWTech everything is out the window if any cyl is involved? No?

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    But according to AWTech everything is out the window if any cyl is involved? No?
    Not if it is an atoric design or aspheric back surface.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DocInChina View Post
    Not if it is an atoric design or aspheric back surface.
    I'm sorry - but the outcome will still be the same. Mostly nausea.
    Fleming

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleming View Post
    No more than a regular exec.

Occupation
    AWTECH knows all ??

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Did you read the original post that started this thread? The discussion was not centered around an occupational bifocal - but a progressive.
    Fleming

Occupation
    Did you read the original post that started this thread? The discussion was not centered around an occupational bifocal - but a progressive.

Of course I read the opening post, and I never did say anything abut an occupational lens (although that could also be done).

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I'd be the first to wear it...

Granted Jacqui I'm no lens designer but isn't this lens going to look like something I "sanded" the shelf off of and then buffed clear. And can a progressive power be achieved beyound the narrow umbilic?

Seems to me this would've been done years ago if possible.

Again I confess ignorance to this aspect of lens manufacturing:hammer:

Occupation
    Granted Jacqui I'm no lens designer but isn't this lens going to look like something I "sanded" the shelf off of and then buffed clear. And can a progressive power be achieved beyound the narrow umbilic?
    At least not the way I visualize it.

Seems to me this would've been done years ago if possible.
    Don't know why it wasn't, maybe no one's brain was working on it.

Again I confess ignorance to this aspect of lens manufacturing:hammer:
    Don't feel bad, most people don't know anything about this part.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Big Smile Mostly nausea..........

I guess we have to invent a flexible lens material and frame that bends the lens when looking down to wards the reading area.

Maybe the aliens that buzz around in those UFOs might have a more advanced technique. Anybody has a contact ? :D

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    I guess we have to invent a flexible lens material and frame that bends the lens when looking down to wards the reading area.

Maybe the aliens that buzz around in those UFOs might have a more advanced technique. Anybody has a contact ? :D
    Chris:

I think most of the people so far have been taught that this is impossible. It's going to take someone like me with no education in Optical Engineering or lens design to finally get it done.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    re: "Executive" PAL

We've gone "there" before ... I don't know if PixelOptics has generated any "news" since this report from April 2006.

I'd have to search.

Are you reading more posts and enjoying it less? Make RadioFreeRinsel your next Internet port of call ...

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by SunnyNC View Post

hmmm
    Not one person on this planet should expect a PAL to work well for this, though results may vary, depending on the physical size of the publication(s).

And regarding the original post, has anyone even stopped to consider the compound prism issue that would be created and especially so with dissimilar powers?

If you read so much that you require an "executive" of any kind, a single vision reader is likely the best choice and if it has to be a multifocal, you'll just have to take a hit on design and go to larger segment with a line, like a FT35 or 45 or even an Ultex.

Just my dos pesetas...

"If you hear hooves, don't look for zebras (unless you're in Africa or a zoo)."

"Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God, because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of a blind faith." - Thomas Jefferson

Occupation
    Sorry to bring this up again, but a Chinese company may already be doing this. I supposedly have samples coming (we'll see).

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

PAL designs

Sorry to bring this up again, but a Chinese company may already be doing this. I supposedly have samples coming (we'll see).
    The optical properties of current lens materials combined with the ability to create almost any surface on a lens still has PAL limitations.

In concept consider you are joining two spherical shapes one large sphere for distance and a smaller sphere for near. To blend these you are limited to a surface that can manage the power differences between these two optical zones.

Even with digital surfacing physics is still physics and math is still math.

Thread Information