Thread: Warning...Revolution Eyewear Customers

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Warning...Revolution Eyewear Customers

Our other location just got a big box from Revolution. Seems they sent us 31 unsolicited frames, all IMF series. (these are the frames they lost their law suite to Aspex..) They offer for us to keep them at a 55% discount. Of corse they say they will warrant them "while supplies last". In the same cover letter, they only have a few months to liquidate them, so, you can see how long "supply lasts". They offer a pick-up if we don't want them, ( of course we don't).

I would reccomend not accepting any big box from them, unless you feel this is a good deal for your location.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Try getting them to accept an offer of $19.00 each...or issue the pickup..

Barry

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Try getting them to accept an offer of $19.00 each...or issue the pickup..

Barry
    This sounds good. If you can get them cheap enough you can pass some of the savings along to your customers as a sale. I would just tell them that the styles have been discontinued and so there is no warranty. If the price is decent enough people will buy them.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    This sounds good. If you can get them cheap enough you can pass some of the savings along to your customers as a sale.
    Sure...but what's a deal if the place you get them from can't stand behind the product? (the "them" being you)

If they're going to unload frames, they'd better shapren their pencils a lot better than 55%. Maybe 80%...

No, more like 95%...
    Last edited by Johns; 11-28-2007 at 03:09 PM. Reason: 80% is still too high.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Some people don't mind paying less and not getting the warranty. As long as it's clearly explained, it shouldn't be an issue. Not everyone needs the warranty, not everyone breaks their frame. Quite honestly, if I purchased a pair with no frame warranty, as long as I knew, and knew I was getting them for a good price because of that, I wouldn't mind.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralKnight View Post
    Some people don't mind paying less and not getting the warranty. As long as it's clearly explained, it shouldn't be an issue. Not everyone needs the warranty, not everyone breaks their frame. Quite honestly, if I purchased a pair with no frame warranty, as long as I knew, and knew I was getting them for a good price because of that, I wouldn't mind.
    Lenscrafters doesn't pass on the warranty to their customers and it doesn't seem to be a problem for them. Usually anyway.

I bowl with a woman that got some frames at Lenscrafters and within three months the color was chipping off. At first Lenscrafters told her she was out of luck, but she went over the head of the store manager and got a new frame. In fact she got a whole new pair since the frame turned out to be discontinued.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    This sounds good. If you can get them cheap enough you can pass some of the savings along to your customers as a sale. I would just tell them that the styles have been discontinued and so there is no warranty. If the price is decent enough people will buy them.
    We always sell all discontinued frames at 50% off. Its policy.

Barry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    $10.00- $15.00 each or send a pick-up. You're the one taking the risk not them.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think you guys are putting the cart before the horse. Sure, don't take anything that was sent without an order. But theses "discontinued" styles are the old type magnet. The styles aren't discontinued, just the magnet style. Some of the styles may be discontinued, but most will be orderable in the future with the only difference being the magnet style.

My rep tells me that they didn't lose the lawsuit, they are redesigning the magnet as a settlement.

Isolate your eyes! Live Eyewear's Avatar
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

Judgement Press Release

Received this regarding that lawsuit some time ago
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JudgementPressRelease.jpg  

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Odd, I have heard of juries of 12, 9 and 6 but never a jury of 8.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Doesn't it bother anyone...

... that they simply sent the frames without a sales order? I received one also. Called my rep today to ask why I got them. He said they had sent them to about 30 of his accounts. I let him know that I did not hold him personally responsible, but that he had a choice of either telling them for me or I would be happy to call his boss and let them know in no uncertain terms that sending me product I didn't order was completely unacceptable. I will NEVER allow anyone to dictate what product I display and sell and I strongly resent the fact that they were arrogant enough to think it was ok. Sure, I can return it (the rep is issuing a return label) but it has caused a certain amount of time and energy to have to decide if it belongs to one of our offices, ship it between offices, call the rep, box it back up, blah blah blah.

This is the time of year when I'm reassessing what product I will order after the first of the year and it's looking pretty easy to decide who to let go to pull in other product lines.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Not to change the subject but I will for a minute, why is it...

Opticians never miss an opportunity to give away a product or service of value? If you get the frame at 80% off, why sell it cheaper, without warranty, etc?

If you're truly worried concerned about warranty issues and having to take 5 minutes to edge down a lens into another frame or remaking a lens that costs x dollars, why not buy 2 frames (that would be 60% off instead of 80% ;)) and call it a day?

You're still ahead...

Back to your regularly scheduled programming
    Last edited by braheem24; 11-28-2007 at 11:44 PM. Reason: removed lens price to x, thanks marcE

Isolate your eyes! Live Eyewear's Avatar
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

Sneding frames without an actual order

I think it's a reprehensible practice that some companies engage in because they know that a certain percentage of people will keep the frames once they hear that they can take a discount of X percent.

We have a competitor who does it all the time... but despite the fact that X percent of customers will keep the frames... they also lose X percent of customers who consider their actions to be at best less than professional, and at worst an underhanded imposition.

Red Sox Red Sox Red Sox optirep's Avatar
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    I not sure if it is still the case BUT

If you are shipped product that you did not order and it was not a mistake (As is in this example) You are not required to return them and can't be charge for then they are yours to keep free and clear.

The Laws may have changed since I was in Grad school!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Recieved my box today that I did not order 35 frames, 4 free.

Asked for a call tag to return and they did not fret.

Even if you were to keep them and sell them for a low price someone well complain and want the warrenty when it is no longer available then you'll have to give them another pair of glasses and the original savings is gone. People whine, complain, and then want to speak to Doc then the patient gets their way.

Too much trouble and not worth it! Let them go to Wal-m... for the cheap, cheap glasses.

Thread Information