Thread: Giving Away Your Profits

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Giving Away Your Profits

I know I am a month behind, but I just read an article in October's Eyecare Business with the same title as this thread. It discusses, rather encourages chargeing for services such as nosepads, adjustments, trouble shooting problems for eyewear purchased outside your office, fitting of eyewear to be purchased elsewhere etc. The office the I currently work in does not charge for services like this, we even give away cleaner and cloth liberally. I notice a positive difference in patient attitude and sales in this office, compared to ones that chaged. What is your opinion on this? Does your office charge? Do you see a signifigant difference in your bottom line?
    Last edited by Skagurly22; 11-23-2007 at 02:53 PM. Reason: spelling...I cant do it

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There's already a thread on this subject, probably more, but this one is recent:

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25984

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

To re-ignite thoughts on this subject..

May I offer *my* two cents:

I think the primary reason why "free" adjustments (nose pads, temple covers, screws, etc.) generally make such a positive impression on people is that the public views eyewear in general as "one big hassle" and an inconvenience to be avoided whenever possible (They'll quickly choose any alternative to eyewear: CLs, refractive surgery, implants, outgrow "need" for Rx, etc.)

So Mr. John Q's expectations are that the maintenance needs of eyewear (justified in our opinion, or not) are perceived to be an extension of this hassle. When we "freebie" them up, we surpass (pleasantly) their expectations of cost, and thereby reduce the perceived *hassle* factor somewhat.

The bottom line is that eyewear should not be the hassle it is today to the public.

My 2 sense...what's yours?

barry
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 11-25-2007 at 10:09 AM.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    May I offer *my* two cents: .......... My 2 sense...what's yours?

barry
    Barry, and you already gave away 2 cents, that adds up you know.:D

I know of a lot of other ways to save money or make more money in the practice then to charge for nose pads, I see it as free advertiseing and good will. They cost next to nothing and they take little to no time to install. We don't charge and I have never worked in a practice that did so I can't really tell you the other side.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We calls it "building good will" down heah. Don't know what you folks do up Nawth. Or you carpetbaggers in Florida do.
    Last edited by chip anderson; 11-23-2007 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Change Location

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post

The bottom line is that eyewear should not be the hassle it is today to

barry
    What is the "hassle" with eyewear, and what do you think can be done to reduce it?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hassle:

Just a few, off the top of my head:

1. Frame quality stinks, especially from the *major* producers
    2. all, repeat *all* spring hinges have crappy quality
    3. nose pads (silicone) discolor, and are of an uncomfortable design
    3. Eyewear's basic design remains unchanged...why?
    4. Cases are wildly inconvenient...
    5. New eyewear, in the public's mind, means new exam first....why?

Shall I go on?

Barry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Several years ago, I had a neighborhood practice that also had many means of transportation such as subway, bus and commuter railroad. We did not charge for nose pads, adjustments, cases etc, but noticed that we did not reap the business we expected for the amount of freebies given. We decided to charge $5.00 for nose pads with a credit voucher of $15.00 towards any future purchase. The majority declined to pay for the service and the few we did charge.......in the 3 years we tracked it.....never returned.
    Let's be realistic in our expectaions. We give our expertise and products away at no charge in the hope that they will return and be a paying customer. Honestly, think of your own experiences and be honest with how many return. Why are we the only profession that does not charge for their services. I feel that when we give it away no charge the perception is there is no value to the service.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by opticman View Post
    Several years ago, I had a neighborhood practice that also had many means of transportation such as subway, bus and commuter railroad. We did not charge for nose pads, adjustments, cases etc, but noticed that we did not reap the business we expected for the amount of freebies given. We decided to charge $5.00 for nose pads with a credit voucher of $15.00 towards any future purchase. The majority declined to pay for the service and the few we did charge.......in the 3 years we tracked it.....never returned.
    Let's be realistic in our expectaions. We give our expertise and products away at no charge in the hope that they will return and be a paying customer. Honestly, think of your own experiences and be honest with how many return. Why are we the only profession that does not charge for their services. I feel that when we give it away no charge the perception is there is no value to the service.
    We moved to a mall location, and decided not to charge, because of a new location.

1/4 booked an eye exam immediately, and many of the others I have seen since the move make a purchase from us.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [quote=opticman;215491]customer. Honestly, think of your own experiences and be honest with how many return. Why are we the only profession that does not charge for their services. quote]

I definitely depends on what type of office it is. If you are near a subway stop, or in a an area where there are many commuters, tranisients, and others passing by, there might be a smaller chance of them returning. You were convenient to them only at that very moment, and maybe never again.

In rural areas, and smaller towns, it is different. Many times, the smallest effort of replacing a nosepad or doing an adjustment is enough to establish a relationship.

If you don't give away nosepads, you'd really hate our office. We give away frames! Really. If they don't come back, so be it, we helped someone and that's good enough for me. And no, I'm not cheapening the value of our frames by doing it...I tell them what kind of frame it is, and why I can be generous with it.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    On-line optical sites actively advertise the free services of the brick and mortar opticians.

Times are changing, the goodwill generated is not what it used to be.

Harry

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Giving Away Your Profits?

I never intended nosepad, repairs, and adjustments to be a profit center.

When I have to start charging for these nickel/dime items to make ends meet, it's time to start walking the roads looking for cans to recycle. It would be a better use of my time, and probably more profitable.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The way I see it is this...to charge for these type of services is not meant to be a means of making a huge profit but where else in any field can a person walk in and receive product (nose pads, etc) or services for free? We already give away way too much for example a dr's rx change. if a MD writes a rx for a med, the patient goes to the pharmacy and gets it filled....then finds it doesn't work, the pharmacy doesn't fill the next med at no charge like we do. i agree with charging for these type of services b/c to do it at no charge only cheapens and dis-value's our profession. the days of doing this free of charge to capture a new patient is over.........
    only my opinion......
    vicki

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I personally give away the screws, nosepads, etc. When I do, I think about the little bit of profit I could have made off of each one, but that is quickly overridden by the knowledge that I have increased the likelihood of the patient coming back and making a full purchase from me.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be so $$-minded if the "freebies" didn't cost so darn much...

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Let's face it, taking time to tell the receptionist how much the bill is, making out a reciept, figuring and keeping track of the sales tax, etc. is more trouble than a pair of nose pads and a screw is worth. We also sell some contact lens acessory/solution products at near cost just to keep the patients coming in and staying on a first name basis with us.

Some but very few are rude enough to buy replacements elsewhere if they see you and shoot the bull now and then buying solutions.

Chip

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Let's face it, taking time to tell the receptionist how much the bill is, making out a reciept, figuring and keeping track of the sales tax, etc. is more trouble than a pair of nose pads and a screw is worth. We also sell some contact lens acessory/solution products at near cost just to keep the patients coming in and staying on a first name basis with us.

Some but very few are rude enough to buy replacements elsewhere if they see you and shoot the bull now and then buying solutions.

Chip
    that is the key thing here. How many of us carry a decent float? We have enough flexibility to deal with these things?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Smilie Well worth "FREE" nose pads

So a patient just left my office spending $394.00 on his clear glasses. He is going to try them for a few weeks before ordering Poarized sunglasses. When I asked why he came to our office for his eyewaer, he stated we always did such a good job adjusting his old glasses and giving clean nose pads, and we never charged him.

$5.00 x3 visits for nose pads, of $394.00+ a pair to come.

You tell me which is better.:)

Occupation
    Interesting - I just got back research done for us. One of the things they found as a major factor for where to buy glasses is value added services.

C-10
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I charge for nose pad 5.00 if the client is not ours as you have to pay for the material with doing so I adjust the frame an clean it. most people expect a small charge and appreciate the service. adjustment, screw , no charge remember your a professional so people will expect a charge.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My thoughts on this subject have been posted on other threads. They boil down to me believing that giving these services away is good for business. (I offer no other discounts, in general).

However, I've seen an increase in the number of plano, crappy suns that clients bring in (some are my clients, some are not), and when I hesisiate to "fix" them (ESPECIALLY THOSE G**-AWFUL RIMLESS"), my mirror-neurons tell me i'm makin' a very bad (read: potentailly costly) mistake.

So I do it...somewhat under duress. I try to make the best of it. I will ask them to leave them if I am too busy at that moment. Then the choice is theirs.

Barry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We charge for non-clients. If they book an exam, we don't charge.

I mentioned this on the other thread. When they get new nosepads, they also get an inspection, screw-tightening, adjustment and cleaning. We talk about what we did, how the specs look as far as durability, how they feel and fit, and a quick plug about our on-site lab or new lens designs or new frame line, etc. BTW, this banter can reveal issues or problems that they may have that you just happen to have the solution for. They ask "how much do I owe you?" We answer "$5, and it was so nice to talk with you. Thanks for dropping by!" Then I hand them the cleaning cloth I used for their lenses (It has our name and logo on it).

I think $5 for five minutes of my skill, services, witty conversation, a cleaning cloth and the best silicone pads is a bargain. And most clients feel that way too.

If you follow this SOP outlined above, they will BEG you to take the money. I guarantee it. If you say, "no charge", they will insist. Do your (potential) clients a favor, take the $5 and make them feel better;). If you throw in a sincere compliment about how great THEY look in their eyewear (not how good the EYEWEAR looks on them), they WILL come back.

You just established yourself as the best optician in town, and they begged you to take their money. Amazing what making someone feel good about themselves (oh, and their specs) will do.

What's my point? Charge or don't charge, it doesn't matter. What matters is utilizing the encounter as an opportunity to spend "quality" time with them and establish yourself as a true professional.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Marc, I'm getting a man-crush reading your post. Not that there's anything wrong with that...:D

Valuing optical professional services is an absolute must. In the environment that is mentioned by Dr. Harry, and with the low-margin superstores around, YOU MUST be considered the optical expert! Your services CANNOT be given away.

Do what Marc does: Package your services. No a la carte screw- tightening or nosepad replacing...You offer a "comprehensive" cleaning, repair and adjustment service, and you present it as such.

Realize and promote the fact that this "aftercare" is included in the cost of the eyewear when purchased through your office. We even go so far as to refill the cleaner that we give out, or replace their cleaning cloth if they've lost it.

For the patient who hasn't purchased for you, this is a great opportuntity to show off. But it can't be free. Now, you don't need to charge $40 for this; even a couple of bucks is enough. But if you price it lower than the patient would expect, they're going to leave with the feeling of a bargain.

With this, you show (one aspect of) your professional service acumen.

Services...services...services! Everything is a service, except the frame and lens itself.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Agreement with MarcE and drk about the importance of service. I don't believe you will ever be in a position to go broke over pads and adjustments unless you fail to deliver them with a smile. It is interesting though how a nominal charge can actually make some people far more grateful. Now that I am in a downtown location that sees a lot of transient and traveler traffic, I do wonder about creating a voucher system for purchasers to separate those who deserve free services vs. who to charge. Primary advantage though would be tracking, allowing reminders for overdue exams, insurance elig., etc.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    I have seen offices, instead of charging have a jar with a charitable donation, so when the patients asks how much, they point to the jar and say, if you would like, please make a contribution to restoringsight, givingsight etc. Makes the patient feel good and helps the contributes to the needy.

Thread Information