Thread: Is Optician student enrollment declining?

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Is Optician student enrollment declining?

I heard at yesterday's Mass board meeting, that there was some concern, on the part of educators, that the enrollment figures for Opticianry students were in decline.There was some talk of the many apprenticeship programs available being the cause.If enrollments are declining in New England, is that the trend across the country...or even around the world, or are apprenticeship programs defeating the purpose of the educational institutions? Your feedback to this thread is not only welcomed, it is encouraged.Thanks hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

yes, enrollment is down, but there is good news...

Hi Harry,

Yes, enrollment is down across the country. The (good?) news is that it is not only opticianry, it is all health science programs.

Alot of young students are going for computer majors. Here in Florida (and in Massachusetts?) the salaries for opticians are high, so that is not the factor. We also have an image problem due to the constant LASIK ads. Potential students may think that it will wipe out opticianry (of course, we know otherwise).

Our conventional "in-house" enrollment is low, but our Ft. Myers (3 hours south of us) videoteleconference students and Internet sections are increasing our enrollment overall.

The numbers would go up drastically if we didn't have to compete with the apprenticeship option.

Laurie

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Harry,
    This is an interesting post. As an educator, I feel that it imperative that we increase the educational requirement to ever advance Opticianry to higher levels. Apprenticeship is something that served many professions well, but has now become obsolete. The level of training to be a complete Optician, one that does refraction, contact lenses, low vision aids and spectacle dispensing demands more training for incoming students. I lecture widely and see that many have little or no comprehension of basic optical principles, but unfortunately, many Opticians were trained through apprenticeship and are reluctant to support any change.
    Your question on enrollment and the decline in student population is answered quite well by Prof. Pierce, and I only add my 2 cents about the need for increased standards. I currently serve on the Commission on Opticianry Accreditation, and I do see enrollments declining all across the country, but it is not only apprenticeship that is at the root of the issue, it is the marketplace as Laurie has mentioned. For us to advance, we need our schools to remain strong, and we need to support them. They are imperative to our future advancement.
    I hope I have responded appropriately. Apprenticeship is only as good as the trainer. We need to get beyond that and require some formal training if we are to move forward.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Rhode Island took a giant step....

Thanks Laurie and Dr.McD-
    It is my understanding that Rhode Island took a giant step in essentially eliminating apprenticeship in favor of formal schooling.It would be interesting to hear how they did that from someone in Rhode Island.I'm going to send this page to Ms Dickerman from their board and see if we can't get a response.

To be totally honest, I used think that we would be narrowing the opportunities in this field if we excluded apprenticeship avenues.While I hold a bachelors degree, and spent a year in graduate school, I came up in this field as an apprentice.I look on that time as fondly as I look upon my schooling-though perhaps not as much fun!:)I had the feeling that if we closed the apprenticeship avenue we may be depriving the industry of some very valuable talent.

I think its time to get my head out of the sand and start thinking ahead.While it is true that the industry should act as a whole to support and strenthen our educational institutions, it is also true that the institutions should act to support industry efforts for a formal eduation. Do either of you..or anyone else out there know of efforts in this direction?
    bst from harry
    Lord Byron

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Harry,
    One of the DMs and I went to "meet and greet" at J. Sargeant Reynolds. I asked the division chair if the enrollment was down and he said it was. He did make a good point that the distance education would open up the field to more students that weren't able to attend due to the distance to commute to the school. I think we may see an upsurge as people get on the distance education bandwagon! I guess time will tell.

~Cindy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile Not here.

In British Columbia the enrollment is actually growing. With the new July 1996 licencing, there has been a drive for schooled Opticians...........Mullo :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

3 Questions...

Mullo, 3 Questions

1. What are the provisions of the new licensing?
    2. Do they require formal education or can you complete an apprenticeship?
    3. How are you hitting them?
    Bst harry J
    Lord Byron

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile Okay.

Harry, Long time no talk. How's that short game??

1)Completing a recognized education program and taking the provincial board exams. One for dispensing and one for contact lenses.

2) A recognized educational program. Currently there are two in
    he entire province. No apprenticeships though.

3)I'm not sure of your final question??? Hitting them? I'll take a shot though. I believe more people are attracted to the profession due to the fact that the licencing brings higher wages and a higher status as a professional. Before the wages were about 20-40% less and anyone could open a shop and call themselves an Optician/Contact Lens Fitter. (if they had the money/knowledge optional)

Hope this answers your questions. Have a great day......Mullo

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Gee . . .

Do you suppose the recruitment of new people into the profession could be enhanced by IOC? No matter how you look at it . . . that's selling opticianry and thats marketing and thats all I'm gonna say cause Laurie C just put masking tape on my mouth!

PS, Hi, everybody, just want to saym . . emmum,mm'mm'mm

Thread Information