Thread: ABO changing CE requirements

Bad address email on file

Thumbs down ABO changing CE requirements

Any comment on why the ABO and NCLE no longer accept credits other than official ABO approved credits. This has a big impact on licensed opticians in states that only need to show proof of license renewal to meet ABO/NCLE CE requirements. For instance, in Florida, Opticians who have their NCLE now need to seek out official NCLE credits since the state doesn't require it's Opticians to have Contact Lens CE credits(unless they are board certified by Florida) . I just got my report from ABO/NCLE and of the 13 NCLE credits I sent in, only 3 count! But get this, I submitted most of them January 1999. The CE change just happened!! I think it stinks and so does the POF. The POF is going to complain and make some recommendations to ABO/NCLE on how to resolve this problem. They also plan to request the Florida Board of Opticianry to require standard licensed Opticians to have one hour of CL credits. If this goes thru it would be a state mandate and therefore cover the NCLE requirement. Problem solved. I hope I've made sense to you all.

OptiBoard Apprentice

Blue Jumper

I think maybe I'm a little confused about your comment, I always thought that ABO/NCLE renewal could only be done with ABO/NCLE approved credits? I am in CT and the requirements here for license renewal are 7 credits per year, ABO/NCLE approved credits, nothing over the internet or mail is accepted. In 3 yrs. you will have the credits needed to renew your ABO/NCLE, of course because of this state requirement we only have to send proof of licensure now for ABO/NCLE renewal.

I have not heard of them changing the requirements for their credits.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

CE Credits

In states such as NY and NJ you need state approved CEs. If you are NY or NJ licensed you send proof of current licensure with your renewal fee. NJ has no CL fitter status for opticians so you submit NCLE credits there
    IN NY a non CL licensed optician submits a copy of their registration certificate and their fee to ABO. If NCLE certified but not yet state licensed they submit NCLE credits +fee. IF NY licensed optician+CL fitter proof of License renewal and fee is all that is needed

Ed

OptiBoard Professional William Walker's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here's the info from Florida's website:

"
    Continuing Education

Regular Licensed Opticians:

64B12-15.003(3), F.A.C. - 20 credit hours of approved continuing education is required per biennium.

• 13 of the hours must be directly related to technical practice of which 1 hour must be in contact lens theory and practice. (Board certified opticians must dedicate 4 of these hours to contact lens theory and practice.
    • 2 must include Laws & Rules.
    • 1 hour of HIV/AIDS education
    • 2 hours in the prevention of medical errors
    • 2 hours of electives from the first 3 areas or subjects relating to business management
    A maximum of 5 hours of CE may be from courses without classroom instruction.

Board Certified Opticians

64B12-15.003(3), F.A.C. - 20 credit hours of approved continuing education is required per biennium.

• 13 of the hours must be directly related to technical practice of which 4 hours must be in contact lens theory and practice.
    • 2 must include laws and rules
    • 1 hour of HIV/AIDS education
    • 2 hours in the prevention of medical errors
    • 2 hours of electives from the first 3 areas or subjects relating to business management
    A maximum of 5 hours of CE may be from courses without classroom instruction."

When I've spoke to everyone about this (before this topic came up), it seemed like every CE they were taking was already approved by the ABO/NCLE - like when I have taken some in NY or Vegas Expos. However, I can see a discepancy if you were to take some that had not recieved ABO/NCLE approval. It's been a few years since I've been to an Expo, but I remember looking at the approved list to decide which courses to take.

Also, I just spoke to the ABO yesterday because I am a newly licensed Florida optician, and I wanted to figure out how many of what type of credits I need to take. She explained that after the first State renewal, just showing my proof of renewal of my state license would fulfill my ABO, and if it were board certified, it would also fulfill my NCLE.

Hope that halped,
    William

P.S. - I called them on their toll free line (800) 296-1379.
    William Walker

Associates in Science in Opticianry
    Associates in Science in Optical Business Management
    Licensed Dispensing Optician
    Board Certified
    Certified Paraoptometric Assistant
    American Board of Opticianry Advanced Certified
    National Contact Lens Examiners Certified

Next Goal: ABOM

Optician with Lenscrafters in Jacksonville, FL

Thread Information