Thread: Varilux Panamic vs. Varilux Physio

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Varilux Panamic vs. Varilux Physio

I need some advice about which lens to use. I making a surgeon MD a new pair glasses. He is currently wearing Varilux Panamic polycarb in a compression mount frame. He is getting one of my new Avada line (Thanks Harry Chilling) 3 piece mounts. Since essilor hasn't came out with trivex, I'm going to use either 1.6 or 1.67. I've read that the Panamic is a very soft design and I don't want to have any remakes. Should I switch him to the Physio or just keep him in the Panamic?

Thanks,

Jeff:cheers:

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I forgot to mention his Rx:

OD: -1.75 +2.25 x 180

Add +2.25 ou

4 BC

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

free form

Why not use one of the new free form offerings? The patient probably has good insurance and the ability to pay for a premium lens. I'd try one of Hoya's Id lenses. I'd want my surgeon to have the best vision possible and I'd offer him the latest technology. Between the Panamic and Physio, I can offer no substantive comparison. If you prefer Varilux products, how about the Physio 360?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffsoptical View Post
    I need some advice about which lens to use. I making a surgeon MD a new pair glasses. He is currently wearing Varilux Panamic polycarb in a compression mount frame. He is getting one of my new Avada line (Thanks Harry Chilling) 3 piece mounts. Since essilor hasn't came out with trivex, I'm going to use either 1.6 or 1.67. I've read that the Panamic is a very soft design and I don't want to have any remakes. Should I switch him to the Physio or just keep him in the Panamic?

Thanks,

Essilor is finally admitting defeat and joining the Trivex bandwagon. At least for the Definity.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by KStraker View Post
    Why not use one of the new free form offerings? The patient probably has good insurance and the ability to pay for a premium lens. I'd try one of Hoya's Id lenses. I'd want my surgeon to have the best vision possible and I'd offer him the latest technology. Between the Panamic and Physio, I can offer no substantive comparison. If you prefer Varilux products, how about the Physio 360?

I was already thinking I would go with the 360 or Definity w/ crizal alize 1.67. Which design is better? I don't use Hoya because they're over priced.

Jeff

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was already thinking I would go with the 360 or Definity w/ crizal alize 1.67. Which design is better? I don't use Hoya because they're over priced.

Jeff
    What is the fitting height going to be? I like the Definity, they go back slightly toward the distance rx at the bottom. It is handy to see the floor better. It has a decent intermediate area, too.

The 360 is a nice lens, too. I don't think it has enough reading area at 17, though.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    What is the fitting height going to be? I like the Definity, they go back slightly toward the distance rx at the bottom. It is handy to see the floor better. It has a decent intermediate area, too.

The 360 is a nice lens, too. I don't think it has enough reading area at 17, though.
    Fitting height is 20.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Both should do well at that height. I have worn both the regular Physio and the Definity Short and liked both of them. I often switch my Panamic wearers to the Physio and haven't had a problem yet.

I think the Definity has the edge in the reading and intermediate area, though.

I hope some more people weigh in.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    With the high cyl, I think that the MD would like the Trivex as a better upgrade than the more expensive lens. You could give him both though. Funny that you thing Hoya is to expensive, I think Varilux are overpriced. Hmm, what would I do.
    If price is no object, Definity in trivex. If not available yet, Accolade Freedom in 1.60.

What does he wear for surgery? 7x28? SV? NVF? short-range FT? Don't forget his very important occupational pair.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Personally I have gone from the Panamic to the Ellipse to the Ellipse 360 as they have come available. Obviously I need a short corridor. Each one was better than the last. I put higher segs in the Physio and those transitioning from the Comfort or Panamic tell me they can tell the difference right away.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Jeff
    Hoya's iD Lifestyle is priced about the same as the 360, comes in Trivex, uses an atoric surface design, the latter allowing for flatter BCs with a decrease in oblique astigmatism and power error for this moderate level of astigmatism. It's certainly worth consideration.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    Hoya's iD Lifestyle is priced about the same as the 360, comes in Trivex, uses an atoric surface design, the latter allowing for flatter BCs with a decrease in oblique astigmatism and power error for this moderate level of astigmatism. It's certainly worth consideration.
    Hoya out of Dallas, Tx is way over priced. Their iD is over a hundred dollars more then the 360. The image is double the price over what I pay. Their best discount is 20%, but only if you give $5000 a month. This is one lab I refuse to deal with.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'd stay in Panamic if you want to keep variables minimized. The Physio design does not seem to be a deriviative of the Panamic, but a totally new one.

Having said that, we are routinely "upgrading" to the Physio to stay current with little issue, FWIW.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hoya out of Dallas, Tx is way over priced. Their iD is over a hundred dollars more then the 360.
    True, but I was comparing the Lifestyle iD to the 360. The price is essentially the same.

The image is double the price over what I pay.
    Well, you really don't want to buy the Image, or most other non-Hoya lenses from a Hoya lab.

Their best discount is 20%, but only if you give $5000 a month.
    A buying group would get that max discount on a much lower sales volume.

This is one lab I refuse to deal with.
    Ok. But next time you need a fully aspheric Trivex PAL- who are you going to call?

I'm going for one right now!:cheers:
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Thread Information