Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Made in China

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Made in China

I have had two patients come in liking their frame selection and we sit down to write up the order and they ask where the frame is made. Both patients had to be re-designed because both frames selected were from China. I was not prepared for this nor did I realize that a lot (about a ¼) of my designer frames are made in China. One patient likes the Dana Buchman frame so much that she is going to home depot to purchase a lead swab kit and test the frame for lead before purchasing. I guess she doesn’t like it enough that she is willing to risk lead seeping into her. The other guy said “don’t show me anything from China”!!

I have browsed through and did not find anyone discussing this. This can't be happing to just me. How are you guys dealing with this issue.

Yvette

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yea, it's just you:D. Never happened to us.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    only a 1/4 of your frames are made in China? I thought most today were from there.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do have a Susci bar next door and many of the owners and help insist on Japanese Frames.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    One reason for the increase in Chinese frames is that "Hong Kong" frames are now marked "china"

Harry

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow! This does surprise me - never thought that the resent "toy issue" would rear it's head in the optical industry.

Mmmm, I think the majority of our frames are made in China too - regardless of where they are designed! Am I right in this assumption?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Mostly China.....................

Quote Originally Posted by Tangojo View Post

Mmmm, I think the majority of our frames are made in China too - regardless of where they are designed! Am I right in this assumption?
    You are nearly right.........................

There is about 97% of all frames and also a large part of lenses made in China and the rest of lenses in Thailand and Indonesia.

Designer frames are NOT designed by the designers of which they carry the names.

A frame distributing company or frame manufacturer (who do not manufacture anymore) chooses frames made and designed at the manufacturers in China and makes a commercial licensing deal with a "Brand Name Owning Company".

That is the difference that brand name frames are only more expensive than equivalent frames made and cooked in the same oven by the same Chinese.
    that designed them.

And in regard to lead in the coloring of frames I believe that this is not a danger.

Many frames are colored by anodizing them and others are baked or applied through polymerization, and therefore have no need to contain lead which is a process from the last century. The Chinese have taken over techniques in coloring from the Europeans and Japanese frame companies.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have had at least a dozen people ask where the frame is made in the last month or so. We are in the metro Detroit area. Anything NOT made in China has an allure right now. I went around the frame boards a few weeks ago and checked each frame line. I noted which ones were not made in china and made a list for us to memorize. Last week a couple came in "shopping" the low end frames. The wife asked me what the difference was with the higher prices since "they're all made in China anyway, right?" I said " on the contrary many are not" and they ended up buying an Adidas and a Nomad made in Austria and in France(or at least it say's so). This China boycott thing is actually getting people to buy up.

Occupation
    be careful. Made in XXX doesn't always mean that every party was made in XXX. It could be put together in Japan, but painted in China.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Don't forget.........................

Don't forget the Jaoanese in the 1950s and 1960s invented or renamed industrial town s like France, Germany ect................and then the products were made in France or Germany.

:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Designer frames are NOT designed by the designers of which they carry the names.

That is the difference that brand name frames are only more expensive than equivalent frames made and cooked in the same oven by the same Chinese.
    that designed them.
    Chris, I agree with you...

But...a rational person cannot argue with the (current) improved saleability of "Branded" frames.

Most John Q's don't give a quit about quality or fit...
    They are, however, very insecure about the appearance of eyewear...and...
    They almost universally hate the "inconvenience" of eyewear.

Anything done to address those primary concerns will improve sales...at least at this time.

FWIW

Barry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have some frames that say Made in China on one temple and "Japan" on the other. I have Via spigas from the same model year; some say China and some say Italy. Exactly the same as far as I can tell, even price. Torneau changed from Italy to China stamp and cut the price by 16%. The only one to give a discount, as far as I can tell. Still high quality.

This country stuff will be as transient as the tabloids. 2 years ago, people sneered at the "Made in France" label, but they still sold. Now it has a little panache. Made in Italy means nothing since it may actually not be made in Italy.

One the other end of the spectrum; who has the highest quality stuff, countrywise?
    I have some frames that have german hardware, Japanese platinum and gold plating, and I don't know where the wood and horn are from. Highest quality stuff I have seen.

As far as a country adding value, the only ones I think add value in the buyers mind are France, Germany and Japan. But I don't have anything from Austria.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post
    As far as a country adding value, the only ones I think add value in the buyers mind are France, Germany and Japan. But I don't have anything from Austria.
    You don't carry Sillouette? Even if you don't like the drilled rimless lines you can't beat the Adidas grooved for high bridged men. It's my "go to" line for the Roman nose crowd. Most of them have never been properly fit and putting those on is a sure sell since they fit like a dream.

Bad address email on file NgCognito's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Made in China

:hammer:A lot of people don't know that China is the 2nd largest exporter in the world. Odds are many of your household items are/were made in China. When you have that many companies making products, you will always have your quacks jumping on the bandwagon making inferior products. Unfortunately, the Chinese don't have quality control such as the US has. But, don't nix the whole market because of a few bad apples. Plus, the media has hyped it out of proportion as they tend to do. The US companies that hire these Chinese companies should also be spot checking their quality to ensure it meets our specifications. Now, I do feel bad for anyone that has gotten ill or hurt. But, don't 100% blame the Chinese. One last thought, I believe none of the ophthalmic frames are made with any sort of paint. Enamels are different aren't they?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    NgCognito-

Welcome to Optiboard!!!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

(I beat Snitgirl to another Warm Optiboard Welcome!)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hi

Thanks!:D

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvette View Post
    I have had two patients come in liking their frame selection and we sit down to write up the order and they ask where the frame is made. Both patients had to be re-designed because both frames selected were from China.
    Yvette
    Ten years ago I wouldn't sell a China made frame, primarily due to the Tiananmen Square massacre, and because I didn't want to support a bunch of old, fat men who keep guns pointed at their citizens heads. Hard to avoid now, but I'm still not comfortable carrying their products, and make a point of informing my clients of the frames country of origin, encouraging products from Japan, EU, South Korea, Taiwan, etc.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NgCognito View Post
    :hammer:A lot of people don't know that China is the 2nd largest exporter in the world.
    If they are number 2, who the hell is number 1?! Can't imagine anyone exporting more. Money wise is could be Japan with all those Lexes, Infiniti, and Acuras. Or Saudi Arabia with all the oil?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Occupation
    WOW, I did not expect Germany to be so high up. Highest nation in there. Probably a lot of exporting to the EU.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Robert,

Apparently you have never come to China personally, just watched bunch of lousy movies. Things have changed a lot in the past 10 years. We are an open country with more and more western-people coming to pursue their dreams here. And sure nobody is pointing the gun to their head as well. We chinese are doing our best to make money under a fair marketing enviroment and also make the world better place. Pls. come to China if you can.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok, somewhere I head that China was number two and USA was first. I stand corrected. However China is still a wonderfull country that in general creates good products. Don't bash the whole industry because of a few bad apples. The US has also created a few disasters as well as any other country.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cjzlcjzl View Post
    Robert,

Apparently you have never come to China personally, just watched bunch of lousy movies. Things have changed a lot in the past 10 years. We are an open country with more and more western-people coming to pursue their dreams here. And sure nobody is pointing the gun to their head as well. We chinese are doing our best to make money under a fair marketing enviroment and also make the world better place. Pls. come to China if you can.
    I understand the need to shore up the economic system before there are significant improvements in human rights and political freedoms. But your country needs to start making progress in the latter before you'll get my support.

Regardless, this is probably off-topic for this forum, and would be more appropriate in the Just Conversation forum, although if you're posting from inside of China, you might need a foreign proxy server (and that may not be enough to get around the censors), otherwise your ISP will time out before you even hit the enter key.

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    I understand the need to shore up the economic system before there are significant improvements in human rights and political freedoms. But your country needs to start making progress in the latter before you'll get my support.

Regardless, this is probably off-topic for this forum, and would be more appropriate in the Just Conversation forum, although if you're posting from inside of China, you might need a foreign proxy server (and that may not be enough to get around the censors), otherwise your ISP will time out before you even hit the enter key.
    Robert be careful, when commenting on Google's support of censorship in China I was accused of being the next reason China would not be able to access Optiboard.

Bad address email on file VegasEyes's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by cjzlcjzl View Post
    Robert,

I have lived in China for 6 months now and WOW! CJZL's right....don't knock it till you try it. The people here are very hardworking and gracious. They have treated this "fish out of water" American very well. I hope to go visit one of the manufacturing plants on the mainland soon (I'm in Macau) and will report back. I'm sure it will be fascinating.

Thread Information