Thread: Spectralite and scratching

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Spectralite and scratching

I just thought I would throw this our there for everyone's opinion.

A few month back a customer purchased a pair of Sola Max Velocity (H/C only). He bought them back last week as they are full of fine scratches.

You can see from the pattern etc that there has been something abrasive on the lens during cleaning - it's gotten worse over time.

Obviously they aren't under warranty due to the incorrect cleaning technique but my Px is disappointed.

1: he is a long time spex wearer
    2: he doesn't work in a dusty environment - he works in catering
    3: he is disappointed that the H/C didn't live up to normal everyday wear and tear, particularly in such a short time.

What would anyone recommend as the best way to handle this situation? I have offered the gentleman replacements at half price and he is grateful for that, but it doesn't lessen his disappointment.

PS: I have sent them back to the lab for their own "appraisal" and they won't replace or discount, which I understand.

Thank you everyone for your time.
    Last edited by Tangojo; 11-19-2007 at 05:33 AM.

Banned
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangojo View Post
    I just thought I would throw this our there for everyone's opinion.

A few month back a customer purchased a pair of Sola Max Velocity (H/C only). He bought them back last week as they are full of fine scratches.

You can see from the pattern etc that there has been something abrasive on the lens during cleaning - it's gotten worse over time.

Obviously they aren't under warranty due to the incorrect cleaning technique but my Px is disappointed.

1: he is along time spex wearer
    2: he doesn't work in a dusty environment - he works in catering
    3: he is disappointed that the H/C didn't live up to normal everyday wear and tear, particularly in such a short time.

What would anyone recommend as the best way to handle this situation? I have offered the gentleman replacements at half price and he is grateful for that, but it doesn't lessen his disappointment.

PS: I have sent them back to the lab for their own "appraisal" and they won't replace or discount, which I understand.

Thank you everyone for your time.
    I believe Sola has a 1 year manufacturers warranty for that product. Make your lab fix it or find a new lab. Tell them your customer made their decision based on Sola's backing. Insist on no less than full credit.

Here are some links

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...+warranty+sola

Also call their tech at 1-800-358-8258
    Last edited by gemstone; 11-13-2007 at 06:47 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    THat's why we have a "no-fault" warranty. I don't want to waste time, effort and disppointment determining "Fault". Just make him a new set. Your lab should warranty them. Now that I'm through preaching . . .

Are they hardcoated? If not, try putting them in hot (near boiling) water for about 30 seconds. It could work to "pull" out the scratches. If they are hardcoated or AR coated, this will probably craze the coating, so don't do it. And find out why it happened. Sand? dry cleaning? etc.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you Gem and Marc, you responses have helped immensely and and given me something to work with.

I will endeavour to look further into the "warranty" information. I spoke to our lens rep who was the one who said, "sorry, no go".

Being as the lenses are going to be throw away anyway, I will try the hot water method - would be most interesting to see the result.

Thanks once again.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually I stopped useing Spectralite years ago when I found that in a majority of cases, it would have coating failure at exactly 11 months
    (12 month) warranty. And of course it took longer, the patient was still quite displeased.

Chip

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    If the scratches are "fine" they should be replaced for free regardless of the supposed cause.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Backside Coat

Make sure the lab you are using backside coats the Spectralite. Some labs do not apply this and it causes fine scratches. It is recommended that this is applied.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm meeting with our state rep for the supplier this week. I'll be asking him a few questions regarding this problem. Although from making a few more phone calls it would seem that the warantees from lab to lab, not to mention country to country differ.

I'll let you know how I go.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and helpful hints.

Banned
    Occupation
    Last I checked, it was a manufactures warranty from SOLA. What they are telling you is that some labs do not support their (Sola's) policy. Sola either gives them credit on lens orders to cover this or actually replaces the product. Call their customer service and have them fax you a copy of the policy. It is all in writting.
    Last edited by gemstone; 11-19-2007 at 08:06 AM.

Banned
    Occupation

How is it going Tangojo?

More info:

http://www.solatechnologies.com/aboutus/terms.php

Coating Warranty
    of the date of the original invoice under normal wear and tear conditions. Factory hard coating and mirrors are warranted within 12 months. The replacement lenses must be of the same prescription and material as the original. The scratch resistance warranty does not apply to safety frames due to the harsh environments. Abused lenses will not be accepted for warranty replacement.

Please let us know how this pans out.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    The first line of the link says:
    USA Eyecare Professionals Terms and Conditions of Sale

Note that Tangojo is in Australia.
    RT

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had a meeting with the lens company rep on Wednesday and I learnt a few things that I didn't know about Spectralite - the main one being that once a lens is ground the back surface hardcoat is very often "lost".

The way it was described was that the blanks have a front and back hardcoat, and with the surfacing so much of the back surface "ground away" and hence the hardcoating ground away with it. I had no idea.

So in future I will be asking for an extra double sided hardcoat.

In regards to warranties - it would seem that warranties differ from country to country. The fact that this lens was scratched due to incorrect cleaning means they won't replace the lens. And I have to admit, now that I know about the hardcoat issue I feel somewhat responsible myself.

I find it a bit strange though that I haven't had more people coming back with this problem.

Thanks everyone once again for your valuable input,thoughts and suggestions.
    Last edited by Tangojo; 11-22-2007 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Spelling

Banned
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangojo View Post
    I had a meeting with the lens company rep on Wednesday and I learnt a few things that I didn't know about Spectralite - the main one being that once a lens is ground the back surface hardcoat is very often "lost".

The way it was described was that the blanks have a front and back hardcoat, and with the surfacing so much of the back surface "ground away" and hence the hardcoating ground away with it. I had no idea.
    As with all simi finished products. I have never seen a suppliers scrutenize front or back scratches. That's BS dude! I hope you change suppliers. You can get much better treatment MUCH cheaper. I will PM yor some alternatives. I hate to see a customer sh!t on like that. :angry::angry::angry:

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think "done away with" is the result of flexure and blocking stress if much grinding is done on the reverse side. Suspect that a good deal of "coating failure" of any coating is due to effects of stress mounting. Perhaps not at the time of mounting but combined stress in use. Of course I don't think anyone has measured this or even thought of it "til now. Didn't used to be a problem as glass lenses even with coatings were checked and stress was relieved at origional mount.
    Now labs check to see if they are "tight" and if frames can be heated enough to stretch around the lens, it's fine. No one checks plastic lenses in metal frames for stress either.

Chip

And no, I think I'm to busy to check for this at inspection too, unless I am mounting plastic in zyl which seldom do personally. However when I get replacment lenses or frames it is often evident that the frame was origionally stretched (also I suspect this is also a cause of frames spontaniously breaking on plastic lens rims).

Chip

Thread Information