Thread: I can't wait for the war in Iraq to end...

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I can't wait for the war in Iraq to end...

In the thread Taxes it took exactly 4 posts for someone to bring up the war. I can't wait for the war to end and the Democrats to have someone sitting in the White House. As a matter of fact I vow I shall vote Democrat if I vote at all . That way when I try to debate a topic no one has any convient side topic to divert to. Taxes - the war. Clinton's infidelity- the war. abortion- the war. the economy- the war. I give up.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by k12311997 View Post
    In the thread Taxes it took exactly 4 posts for someone to bring up the war. I can't wait for the war to end and the Democrats to have someone sitting in the White House. As a matter of fact I vow I shall vote Democrat if I vote at all . That way when I try to debate a topic no one has any convient side topic to divert to. Taxes - the war. Clinton's infidelity- the war. abortion- the war. the economy- the war. I give up.
    Well the thread was started to take a shot at the government raising taxes to support people who do not work. When Iraq is a rising expenditure every year, it would not make sense to not mention it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    Well the thread was started to take a shot at the government raising taxes to support people who do not work. When Iraq is a rising expenditure every year, it would not make sense to not mention it.
    sorry to disagree it would not make sense to you. It would make sense to me to talk about the things in our backyard that we could possibly have an impact on and leave war to soldiers. More and more money going to public education with less results. Spending money to fix roads every year rather than fixing them right.

When my ex and I were expecting, we went to a birthing class. After the learning how to breath and coach came the learning how to get assistance each couple got to speak to an counselor who showed the guidelines and the benefits of WIC. Our combined income was well outside the limits, we would have had to have had two other children already to qualify. "That doesn't matter you(my ex) don't have to put him on the application and you could qualify yourself as a single mother" You think the government doesn't want you dependent on it? You think the government has your best interests at heart? The reason the evil rich are evil is because it can send its kids to private schools, afford health care, and because they are intelligent enough to make decisions on their own.

Many times when I or others state a conservative belief someone throws out Limbaugh, Hannity, Coulter, et. al. I don't listen to any of them they are entertainers not political corespondents as they would have you believe. But because they are a louder voice than Air America ( I think that is the name of the liberal channel) you assume I can't make a decision for myself. My beliefs are based on the stuff I see everyday, not what someone tells me to believe.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Sorry I missed something your Canadian, your taxes aren't going to the war in Iraq.

Occupation
    Sorry I missed something your Canadian, your taxes aren't going to the war in Iraq.
    The topic of conversation was not an increase in Canadian taxes. It was about American increases. With a war that is increasing every year, that is a cost. That is in addition to growing debt that increases the paid interest every year.

Not shooting, not criticizing, just explaining.

There was a question about increases in taxes, and it makes sense that it is going toward two growing expenses. There is no proof that it is going toward more social spending.

Just because I do not live in the US, does not mean I cannot add 1 + 1. Plus, we Canucks may not be funding the war in Iraq, but we are certainly funding our part in the war in Afghanistan.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    k12311997

Do you actually think that our next president, who ever he/she may be, will pull the troops out of Iraq? That is to say do you feel that the “evil doers” and Islamic Terrorists will go away? How about Iran, Saudi Arabia and North Korea? Perhaps the next administration will just seek a consensus and guidance from the United Nations.

As to voting, be my guest – it’s a free country. However, if you are an American citizen, speak English, are literate to a eighth grade level and a business or property owner I strongly urge you to think, think, think and then vote.

Occupation
    Every legal citizen should have the right to vote. But that person should fulfill his or her right to the nation by educating themselves before doing so.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    k12311997

Do you actually think that our next president, who ever he/she may be, will pull the troops out of Iraq? That is to say do you feel that the “evil doers” and Islamic Terrorists will go away? How about Iran, Saudi Arabia and North Korea? Perhaps the next administration will just seek a consensus and guidance from the United Nations.

As to voting, be my guest – it’s a free country. However, if you are an American citizen, speak English, are literate to a eighth grade level and a business or property owner I strongly urge you to think, think, think and then vote.

rbaker please see my fox holes and @$$holes comment in the taxes thread I don't pretend to advise any action regarding the war nor do I unlike many others feel qualified to comment.

no I will not vote democrat or republican based solely on party, I was speaking facetiously. I have had it up to here(hand raised as far above forehead as my stubby arms can reach) with liberals who can't debate with facts and figures on any subject and immediately fall back to "it's the war stupid","It's Bush's fault" when pressed.

As to your very last sentance It amazes me how many people on this board and off meet all or most of those requirements and still feel that the government deserves their hard earned income and that they need taken care of.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Actually, it does get a bit more complicated for you. If you want the war over ASAP, then don't vote for Clinton, Obama, or Edwards. None of them will commit to getting the troops out of Iraq by 2013*...and, gee whiz, you'll probably have to elect Clinton to TWO terms given that she expects to bring them home by the end of her second term in 2017.**

I'm afraid that Democratic voters are setting themselves up for a "bait and switch". If you want the war over immediately, then your best bet is to vote for a Republican... Ron Paul.

*Source: http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/09/27/dems.debate.ap/

**Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gov-bi...t_b_66355.html

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Every legal citizen should have the right to vote. But that person should fulfill his or her right to the nation by educating themselves before doing so.
    I agree 100% but can't resist the sarcastic addendum,

You better watch yourself there going around saying only legal citizens should vote. After all the illegal citizens, deceased, clinically insane, citizens should be able to vote too.

Occupation
    Yeah, well that is one problem I am happy not to have.

Occupation
    there was so much money around for contractors, officials literally used $100,000 wads of cash as toys. "Yes -- $100 bills in plastic wrap," Frank Willis, a former CPA official, acknowledged in Senate testimony about Custer Battles. "We played football with the plastic-wrapped bricks for a little while."

The Custer Battles show only ended when the pair left a spreadsheet behind after a meeting with CPA officials -- a spreadsheet that scrupulously detailed the pair's phony invoicing. "It was the worst case of fraud I've ever seen, hands down," says Grayson. "But it's also got to be the first instance in history of a defendant leaving behind a spreadsheet full of evidence of the crime."
    But even being the clumsiest war profit­eers of all time was not enough to bring swift justice upon the heads of Mr. Custer and Mr. Battles -- and this is where the story of America's reconstruction effort gets really interesting. The Bush administration not only refused to prosecute the pair -- it actually tried to stop a lawsuit filed against the contractors by whistle-blowers hoping to recover the stolen money. The administration argued that Custer Battles could not be found guilty of defrauding the U.S. government because the CPA was not part of the U.S. government. When the lawsuit went forward despite the administration's objections, Custer and Battles mounted a defense that recalled Nuremberg and Lt. Calley, arguing that they could not be guilty of theft since it was done with the government's approval.
    The jury disagreed, finding Custer Battles guilty of ripping off taxpayers. But the verdict was set aside by T.S. Ellis III, a federal judge who cited the administration's "the CPA is not us" argument. The very fact that private contractors, aided by the government itself, could evade conviction for what even Ellis, a Reagan-appointed judge, called "significant" evidence of fraud, says everything you need to know about the true nature of the war we are fighting in Iraq. Is it ­really possible to bilk American taxpayers for repainted forklifts stolen from Iraqi Airways and claim that you were just following orders? It is, when your commander in chief is George W. Bush.
    In short, some $8.8 billion of the $12 billion proved impossible to find. "Who in their right mind would send 360 tons of cash into a war zone?" asked Rep. Henry Waxman, chairman of the House Oversight Committee. "But that's exactly what our government did."
    Me and you and our kids will be paying that back and the war profiteers called our government and the no bid contractors that they hired to produce nothing will be sitting in the lap of luxury sending their kids to these private schools that you talk about. Look the war is a prime example of waste. If you think education is screwed up try shadowing a teacher for a day and see what you think then.

I used to think that teachers had it cake they worked easy hours and then had a 2 month vacation in the summer, but then I married one and found out that all day everyday she's making lesson plans and during those two months of summer she's working because her pay can't support not working those two months. We work non stop so that we don't have to relie on government support. We took those very same classes at the hospital but opted to not go the last day because we didn't need WIC or any hand outs.

I want my taxes to go toward things that benefit this country. Education means smarter citizens, healthcare means helthier citizens these things are a necessity if I am going to pay any taxes at all. I think as a citizen you don't have a right to vote, but an obligation to vote.

I don't care how much I pay in taxes as long as it is used for the benefit of the nation, but I do give a damn if we pay no taxes dig deeper in debt and then the country suffers as a result and I don't care who's watch it happens on democrat or republican it's wrong.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Yeah, well that is one problem I am happy not to have.
    Am I to understand that there are no non-residents or illegal aliens voting in Canadian elections?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    Harry I believe every word of that article, corruption happens because of government not Democrats or Republicans Me and you and our kids will be paying that back and the war profiteers called our government and the no bid contractors that they hired to produce nothing will be sitting in the lap of luxury sending their kids to these private schools that you talk about. Look the war is a prime example of waste. If you think education is screwed up try shadowing a teacher for a day and see what you think then. Harry I'd wager you make as much if not more than me. I am not sitting in the lap of luxury, but my daughter goes to a catholic school, judging by her behavior and level of intelligence compared to the other neighborhood kids she is turning out much better for considerably less cost per student. But we can't offer school choice or voucher programs and reward parents for choosing cost effective education. I'm not knocking your wife I don't know her. I'm not calling teachers overpaid. Teachers aren't the only expense. But I know that my daughters school expends less per student than the public school districts that feed into it. Mostly because of administration costs. And more of if we don't spend it this year we won't get it next.

I used to think that teachers had it cake they worked easy hours and then had a 2 month vacation in the summer, but then I married one and found out that all day everyday she's making lesson plans and during those two months of summer she's working because her pay can't support not working those two months. We work non stop so that we don't have to relie on government support. We took those very same classes at the hospital but opted to not go the last day because we didn't need WIC or any hand outs.Good for you, seriously. I seem to remember you posting that you had it hard as a kid (if not forgive me old age and all that). But you believe in working to get what you need and then working harder to get what you deserve for yourself and your family whereas many others don't share that belief and pay no taxes on their government checks and live at the same level we do.

I want my taxes to go toward things that benefit this country. DITTO Education means smarter citizens, Cost effective education means more smarter citizens, healthcare means helthier citizens Do you know why health plans make money? Because they are efficient at what they do. the government if efficient at nothing these things are a necessity if I am going to pay any taxes at all. Agreed, I just don't believe the government is capable of spending wisely. I think as a citizen you don't have a right to vote, but an obligation to vote.Agreed

I don't care how much I pay in taxes as long as it is used for the benefit of the nation,
    Whoa, lets take the taxes are the membership fee to society thing. That was very eloquent of Grubie and I don't disagree, Once again I just disagree with how well my membership fee's are being applied. I care about how much taxes I pay because I don't work for better roads, I work to give my little girl a good life, the government doesn't offer me a good life they offer dependency but I do give a damn if we pay no taxes I really don't think anyone ever suggested any such thing dig deeper in debt and then the country suffers as a result yes the war is costing money, read my posts I don't believe we should be there in the first place, but until and unless you can offer some meaningful suggestions to a withdrawal that won't be a total disaster stop using the war as a defense against appropriate spending in other areas. and I don't care who's watch it happens on democrat or republican it's wrong. AGREED

I really got to learn how to seperate the quotes.

Occupation
    Harry

"I don't care how much I pay in taxes as long as it is used for the benefit of the nation, but I do give a damn if we pay no taxes dig deeper in debt and then the country suffers as a result and I don't care who's watch it happens
    on democrat or republican it's wrong."

Do you feel that you are getting your moneys worth from the taxes you pay to educate our children in the public school system? I sure don't. We just keep throwing good money after bad and the majority of the kinder keep getting dumber and dumber. This trend will continue until the public schools are privatized.

I just have an aversion to seeing my money misspent, diverted and misused by incompetent boobs who answer to no one. Please don't give me any comments about the public sector having to answer to the voter. Thats bull crap. Our last municipal election back here on the East Coast found a whopping eight percent of the eligible voters going to the polls to vote for our school committee. Eight percent of the population represents the teachers and administrators and but a handful of concerned citizens.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Am I to understand that there are no non-residents or illegal aliens voting in Canadian elections?
    From my understanding, no

You have to be a legal citizen, immigrant or not.

Thread Information