Thread: I have a problem with gerber coburn step one wax blocker

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

I have a problem with gerber coburn step one wax blocker

I just purchased a gerber coburn step one wax blocker used. And everything seem to work well expect when i hit the fill button the wax comes out slowly, but then doesn't stop and overflows onto the lens. we cannot figure out what the problem is. I am just wondering if anyone has had this problem and/or knows how to fix it. thanks for your time.

Clear Vision

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Clear Vision View Post
    I just purchased a gerber coburn step one wax blocker used. And everything seem to work well expect when i hit the fill button the wax comes out slowly, but then doesn't stop and overflows onto the lens. we cannot figure out what the problem is. I am just wondering if anyone has had this problem and/or knows how to fix it. thanks for your time.

Clear Vision
    When you release the fill button does the pressure gauge go down? Is the pressure set up ok?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The pressure is set up right im not sure in the pressure gauge goes down because it is covered. i have 2 blockers running and the other has never had this problem. i have never ran them with the cover off.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Clear Vision View Post
    The pressure is set up right im not sure in the pressure gauge goes down because it is covered. i have 2 blockers running and the other has never had this problem. i have never ran them with the cover off.

I hope not. The cover is sort of important for helping in creating the pressure. :hammer:
    I'm surprised that you can't see the pressure guage.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    You might want to check the sensors, the top of the fill cavity their are two sensors on the sides that tell it when the block if full.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Is this the older style One-Step that is a manual fill? Meaning, you depress the fill button and the wax starts to flow, you take your finger off the button the wax stops? The newer model is an auto-fill with the two sensor's Harry's talking about.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    check the fill valve assembly too, sometimes they stick and cause this kind of problem. I have had a number of Step Ones with this very problem and it almost always was the fill valve.

I forget how to go about doing it (it's been about two years since I've worked on one), but check the manual, it's in there.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Check the Low Pressure setting

The Step One has a Low Pressure setting that is used to pulse the FreeBond after the Fill button is released. This results in low pressure being applied to prevent the FreeBond from running back into the nozzle. I think the default value on the Step One is 9. Reducing this number increases the pressure (yeah, I know its not intuitive, sorry). If the Low Pressure value is too small it can cause FreeBond to continue flowing.

To get to this parameter press F1 and F3 from the Main Menu to access the service fields. Then select Setup & Calibration. Enter the Configuration screen. Low Pressure is on Page 2.

Dave
    Dave Finegan

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a step one blocker that is giving me a problem. It works when it wants to the arm doesn't always want to move. I have checked and cleaned the connections on the board as well as on the motor, but it still hesitates to move to pick up the lense. Any suggestions?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Hello, I also have a problem with the step one wax blocker. The machine worked fine before, but one day when we turned on the machine, only the fans came on. The lights / screen did not come on, and the wax did not melt. Has anyone else experienced this issue??

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by VE View Post
    Hello, I also have a problem with the step one wax blocker. The machine worked fine before, but one day when we turned on the machine, only the fans came on. The lights / screen did not come on, and the wax did not melt. Has anyone else experienced this issue??
    hey try to replace the bios battery, this is a 3v battery like the one that comes with the computers, is it located in one of the board inside the machine, in order to do that ypu will have to remove all the plastic cover from the machine, after the battery have been replaced then you will have to reconfigure the bios settings, trying doing that.

Thread Information