Thread: NYS Practical Exam

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wink NYS Practical Exam

I just took the practical in Albany yesterday. Can anyone tell me how the exam is graded per section, per point? Any other info. that is available on how the grading is measured would be of interest to me. ( Adj. ???, bench alignment, neutralization). I heard that it goes on a 1-3 point basis per box answered. I know that passing is a 75. I was told that if you get between a 70-74, they automatically bump it to a 75. how? I was also told if you don't get a 75, but you are within a few points, that you can challenge it. You wouldn't have to challenge it though if it is bumped to a 75? I think I was misinformed and I am trying to find out what to expect grade wise. Who grades the exam, Your examiners, or the board? Thanks for any info!!!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Many years ago, I was a board examiner in NY. The fitting section has points assigned to each question. PD I think was 1 pt each eye. Lens choice may be 4, with 4 for the best choice, 3 for a good choice,0 for an exec, ha! Some of this is left to the 2 examiners discretion, but they should not be far apart. That is where the 3rd examiner comes in. They have to be fair. Unless you went at the examiner with a metal ruler with the end angled to a point, you probably did fine. We never saw the other sections scores, only fitting and adjusting.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

NYS Exam

I am a former instructor in NY 2 schools in NYC to be exact. Hopefully you were as well prepared as my students with 2 years of formal education. Dont sweat it too much. If you were well prepared, you probably did just fine. When I took the exam almost 20 years ago I got an 89 if I recall. THe roughest part of it is the wait. When you get your certificate go out and have it matted and framed display it proudly

Ed
    Ed

MSEd, BBA, AAS Ophthalmic Dispensing
    ABOC NCLC FNAO FOAA

Thread Information