Thread: What kind of glare is this?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What kind of glare is this?

While walking inthe morning and facing the sun, I encounter significant glare that goes away by shading from above with a hat. I have A.R. on my lenses and theorized it was from the polished edge of my high minus lenses. I tried an edge coat but it did't totally remove the glare. I have noticed the same with polarized sunglasses, also. What causes this glare and is there any way to remove it?
    Bob Taylor

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Glare

Quote Originally Posted by rdcoach5 View Post
    While walking inthe morning and facing the sun, I encounter significant glare that goes away by shading from above with a hat. I have A.R. on my lenses and theorized it was from the polished edge of my high minus lenses. I tried an edge coat but it did't totally remove the glare. I have noticed the same with polarized sunglasses, also. What causes this glare and is there any way to remove it?
    Bob Taylor
    Please post more information. Are the polarized glasses rimless or full rim? What type of rim, what type of polarized lens? For polarized lenes to perform at the their best, you must first have an excellent polarized film. Then the manner in which it is made with the lens can change the performance of the film. The basics are, the closer to the fron the film the better performance. Aspheric fronts use spherical polarized film and are either too thick in some areas or distorted during aspheric formation in most cases.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Remove shinny polished surfaces by masking front and black, then sand with around 400 grit, problem will go away.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

In addtion to the above...

How large are the lenses? What is the wrap? Age related cortical changes???

Could be any number of things. When wearing sunlenses, if the lenses are too small...for instance, light comes from side and/or top, you are receiving more glare due to the darkness of the lenses causing your pupil to dilate a bit, and letting more light in. Then, there could also be back surface reflections due to your eye reflecting if the lenses aren't back surface coated. In addition, depending on the condition of your crystalline lens, you may be having more glare problems.

Could be something else. Just wear visor or a hat.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Bob Taylor
    If you are facing the sun, but a hat provides shading, then isn't the sun actually overhead at least to some degree? It sounds as if your glare is coming from an overhead angle. Can the glare be reproduced when the sun is low and the light enters from the side of the optical system?

If so, have you considered the culprit to be lenticular glare which is unrelated to the glasses?

Do you have similar glare with any other pair of glasses if you wear them in a similar position in the same circumstances?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

polarized lenses are Drivewear

Quote Originally Posted by AWTECH View Post
    Please post more information. Are the polarized glasses rimless or full rim? What type of rim, what type of polarized lens? For polarized lenes to perform at the their best, you must first have an excellent polarized film. Then the manner in which it is made with the lens can change the performance of the film. The basics are, the closer to the fron the film the better performance. Aspheric fronts use spherical polarized film and are either too thick in some areas or distorted during aspheric formation in most cases.
    Allen, I'm comparing either my clear 1.67 GT2 with Acclaro A.R. or Kodak Unique Transitions with the same A.R. and both with polished edges on my high minus Rx. I thought it was weird that shading my glasses from the top would reduce glare when the sun was low in the sky. My drivewear lenses act the same way. Facing the sun ,low in the sky, a lot of the glare is reduced by shading from above my glasses. What am I getting, light bouncing off of the the atmosphere and straight down.?
    Bob Taylor
    O.K. I just got back from walking for the first time with the Drivewear glasses. Normally I only use them driving. They are better with the glare, but since they are not A.R. coated, I'm guessing that would have eliminated this glare(reflection). I'm walking facing the sun 30 degrees to my left and can eliminate the glare by shading not the direct sun but by shading above my glasses. So with the Drivewear, which are awesome by the way, I'm only getting reflected glare from light bouncing off the atmosphere?
    Last edited by rdcoach5; 09-30-2007 at 09:11 AM.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    High plus?
    High minus?
    Heavy pin bevel?

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

More on Glare

Allen, I'm comparing either my clear 1.67 GT2 with Acclaro A.R. or Kodak Unique Transitions with the same A.R. and both with polished edges on my high minus Rx. I thought it was weird that shading my glasses from the top would reduce glare when the sun was low in the sky. My drivewear lenses act the same way. Facing the sun ,low in the sky, a lot of the glare is reduced by shading from above my glasses. What am I getting, light bouncing off of the the atmosphere and straight down.?
    Bob Taylor
    O.K. I just got back from walking for the first time with the Drivewear glasses. Normally I only use them driving. They are better with the glare, but since they are not A.R. coated, I'm guessing that would have eliminated this glare(reflection). I'm walking facing the sun 30 degrees to my left and can eliminate the glare by shading not the direct sun but by shading above my glasses. So with the Drivewear, which are awesome by the way, I'm only getting reflected glare from light bouncing off the atmosphere?
    The Drivewear are polarized and the Transitions are not, this would explain why they seem to have less glare. The polished edge is hugh potential for glare with a hight minus. Think of the glare, (actually rays of light), entering the top polished edge and passing through 10 to 15mm of thick lens before exiting. Not the RX in your glasses but a strong redirection of the light that is entering your field of vision.

Thread Information