Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you handle patients that want refunds?

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Oh! And before I forget,

Welcome to Optiboard!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Thanks to everyone.

I'm supposed to get back to her tomorrow. I'll et you guys know how it turns out.

Honestly, it made me feel better just to vent and I appreciate the support!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We sho' seems to be a tight fisted bunch with a dollar.

Remember when "the customer was always right?"

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I like to use the example of getting a custom fit suit. You go into a store, and have a suit custom tailored to you. You pick the colors, the material, the accessories. They make it for you to your exact specifications. Don't like it when you get it? Tough. It's a custom made order. It's not like it can go back on the shelf. To me, lenses are the same thing. Yeah, there's an Rx, but with your guidance, they pick the frame they want, the color they want, the material of the lens, the coatings. It's custom to their specifications. Don't like the finished product? We'll work with you to make it right, but money back? No way.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No your money cheefully refunded with a smile?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We sho' seems to be a tight fisted bunch with a dollar.
    They don't come easy, so I won't let them go easy. Heck, I've seen george shed a tear when leaving my tight hands.
    Last edited by obxeyeguy; 09-21-2007 at 07:42 AM. Reason: messed up

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    They don't come easy, so I won't let them go easy. Heck, I've seen george shed a tear when leaving my tight hands.

I love it!

There is something really sad and dreadful about handing over a bunch of "Dead Presidents"!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

***To the NSA, FBI, CIA, or whomever else is probably monitoring this Forum, the above statement in no way, shape, or form is meant to be a threat against any living or already expired President!!!***

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I like the tailored suit analogy. If a patient came from the auto-refractor, sat in my dispensary and handed me the printout along with a signed bill of health from the Dr, and I took the basic measurements and told them to come back in a week to pick up their rx...and that was the extent of the total transaction then, yes - they would be entitled to a partial refund.

Can you get refunds from pharmacists if your medication doesn't work?

But at the same time, going over some threads and being out in the field it seems that there are some (very few, but some) opticians out there that think that the term "frame purchasing" actually refers to "frame consignment".

I'm not saying this because I am a rep now, when I first became an optician I was truly puzzled by this phenomena. I don't know any other business that as a reseller has the ability to return unsold product for the sake of their own inability to purchase correctly or sell it themselves.

But hey, I returned frames so I'm not judging here - just making an observation.
    Last edited by optigrrl; 09-21-2007 at 09:12 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optigrrl View Post
    I don't know any other business that as a reseller has the ability to return unsold product for the sake of their own inability to purchase correctly or sell it themselves.
    I think Wal-Mart gets that perk.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optigrrl View Post
    I don't know any other business that as a reseller has the ability to return unsold product for the sake of their own inability to purchase correctly or sell it themselves. ......
    Actually, the book selling industry has something very similar.
    My Mother writes (and sometimes "sells") books. When a book seller agrees to shelf her books, she has to agree to "buy them back" if they don't sell, regardless of the condition they are in, and pay the shipping charges to bring them home! This is why many writers (or their publishing companies) will have the book dealer tear off the front covers of unsold books and just send the covers to count for getting a refund. Mom ( Faye Turner) likes to use Amazon.com because, even though she doesn't make as much off each copy, she also isn't out shipping, etc for returned copies. (Of course, if you actually purchase and read the stories, they are pretty good! :bbg: ) Lately she has been viewing her writing/publishing experiences as an expensive hobby, with fun trips to book conventions and writers' workshops.
    (note: I am disclosing that I have a financial interest ~~i.e: my inheritance~~ in the above mentioned books....;) ;)
    "The Good Lord gave us mountains so we could learn how to climb". ~ Lonestar

Something Wicked This WayComes AngryFish's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Keep the upper hand

What I see here is a dispenser who lost the initiative and then lost the confidence of the patient. I hate when it happens to me but I can always tell when it does.I at some point let the patient get the upper hand by somehow abdicating my role as the professional. I had it happen to me in another setting once as a doctor I know as a friend gave me an eye exam. The exam began as more of a friendly exchange almost playful until she recognized at a point that the exchange was compromising her professional interaction with me. She, without comment, refocused and gave me a thorough exam. We left the exam room as we entered, friends joking about the day, talking and laughing, but in that room she had to be my doctor.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    We give everybody 3 months to get a full refund if not happy. We find that this allows people to feel more courageous in their initial purchase. Most of the time it works out. After the three months, we may give a refund but it will be store credit only.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Strangle them and put the body in a dumpster in the dark of night.

Seriously, give them a refund with a smile and don't indicate that you are displeased in any way. If you can't play and win at poker let someone else do it.

Chip

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Keep the $$$$$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    If all attempts at satisfying fails, a refund is given. I also tell them that, since they did not want to work with us to resolve their complaint, they will not be allowed back into our office. This really startles some of them
    Lose 'em once, lose 'em forever!

AND REALLY LOSE THEM FOREVER.
    I HAVE'NT GIVEN A REFUND IN OVER 47 YEARS. I've only been asked to three times, so they are gone, big deal.
    They are going to bad mouth you either way. As in, they could'nt get my glasses right, so they gave me my money back, does Wally World ring a bell?. The other is I don't like my glasses but they would'nt give me my money back.
    When you refund you are conceding that something is wrong with them. If they are right then something is wrong with the person.
    Most women who want money back don't like their frames.

Bad address email on file kodorovski's Avatar
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    NO REFUND..:angry:

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As a chain guy, it isn't as big of a deal forme to do refunds except that I lose my commission. Something I have noticed, though, is that it is easier to get the really gigantic sales and upgrades when patients know you stand behind your product enough to take it back. I think I would probably adjust this to simply being store credit in my own optical, but there is a much higher level of trust when they know you will take it back if they have problems with it. That is one of the few advantages that being in a chain has: some people know that they can go crazy with their lens options and know that they can refund it. Honestly, in my anecdotal experience, I make moreon upgrades than I do with refunds because of this.

Thread Information