Thread: Frame & Lens Package?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

Frame & Lens Package?

I just bought the "Jobson Research 2007 Eyewear & Eye Care Consumer Patterns Insight Survey" and had a quick look. They provide year-on-year comparison data which, as expected, does not deviate much over years. Only except one which really caught my attention - 22% consumer in 2007(surveyed sample) bought preset "frame & lens" packages from dispensers compared with only 16% in 2003!

Is this a general trend in retail to simplify the frame and lens selection process during the purchase? Are these packages offered by the labs or the retails compile their own?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I have

18 frames that I package for the small # of patients who can't afford the good stuff (in my area anyway). See Chris, I'm way ahead of you, been doing this for a long time. I can take care of the less fortunate witthout a problem, and capture some $$ doing so.

:)
    "A bargain is something you can't use at a price you can't resist."
    Franklin Jones.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have a few packages here, but they're mostly for children. We have a specific group of frames, and 2 different packages, depending on age/what they want lens wise. Personally, I like having some packages, specifically when it comes to kids. Most parents are barely willing to spend money on their kids' glasses in the first place, let alone if they need anything special, so it's a way to appease the parents, while getting the kids the glasses they need.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I have a value line package of $99 complete, frame and SV lens.

Makes it easy with the phone shoppers when they ask how much glasses cost. "Our glasses start at $99 complete and go up from there".

I realize the big guys often package a/r, poly, and transitions for one price. It's a good idea I may copy in the future.

Harry

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Do you guys use lab supplied frame & lens packages? Would they give you more edge to offer packages?

Lak Cheong
    www.freeformeyewear.com

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have a kids package. It includes a basic frame, poly lenses, and a one year warranty for $99.00. We also have a package with basic frame, plastic lenses for $79.00. We often upgrade it to poly, AR, or a scratch coat. It's good for contact lens wearers that don't want to buy eyeglasses.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    How do these pacakges affect your sales of higher quality products?

How does vision insurance work with these?

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    How do these pacakges affect your sales of higher quality products?

How does vision insurance work with these?
    I don't think it usually effects our higher priced sales. I think it gets those people who would normally go to Walmart or a discount place. W have the rounder with the sale frames out of the way in a corner so people don't wander over to it very often.

We don't use these glasses for people who have vision insurance except as a second pair. Sometimes people will use their insurance to get contacts and then they will buy an inexpensive pair of glasses.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our packages work the same as a normal pair of glasses when it comes to insurance, we just break it up. For instance, if you get a $165 pkg (frame, sv cr39 and td2) we just break it down $100 for the frame and $65 for the lenses. It seems to work fine for every insurance so far.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have mentioned in other threads that we utilize frame and lens packages for value product.

When working with Medicaid, it is nice to get decent quality frames and lenses at a very nicely discounted price. So have a tower with 2 sides devoted to our "Value Collection"

One side is Capri style frames and we offer for $99 complete for SV, bf $149, Pal $209 in PSR

The other side has products like Flexy from Encore and the Nickelodeon Frames that we offer starting at $139 with Poly lenses.

Some of the frames do sell with insurance as well. Most of the times we try and steer them to a better quality style.

Works well for backups, people on extreme budgets, and of course as I said before, medicaid.

We do a lot of medicaid business, mainly cause of the selection we carry. We also have a lot of medicaid patients that find ways to get contacts, pay for pals, and transitions. In Indiana all I need is for them to sign saying they know it isn't covered, and we can collect the dough!

(And before someone goes on some tangent about this... many of them do need help. They get family members to pay as gifts, or they save up for their visit.)
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralKnight View Post
    Our packages work the same as a normal pair of glasses when it comes to insurance, we just break it up. For instance, if you get a $165 pkg (frame, sv cr39 and td2) we just break it down $100 for the frame and $65 for the lenses. It seems to work fine for every insurance so far.
    OOh...I wouldn't.

"Our insurance plans are based on retail pricing. You may want to utilize our (discounted) package price for your second pair."
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralKnight View Post
    Be sure not to leave the TD2 on the table. With most insurance, the patient should be billed. If you don't collect for it, you are giving the patient $30 right out of your pocket. Or if it is covered, break it out for the insurance to pay or at least deny and show that it is the pt's responsibility.

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Do you guys have POP's or counter cards to showcase your "Frame & Lens" package?

Thread Information