Thread: What makes a good Employee?

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What makes a good Employee?

Ok this is the general conversation thread so even consumers in managment can respond.

1. Be on time - that does not mean show up at your start time and then take 5-10 minutes to get ready to work.

2. No matter how stupid it is it is still company policy untill it changes. ie - men may not wear earrings - one guy at LC was a very good lab tech skills 10 out of 10 - employee -1 out of 10 because he had to be told every blessed day to take his earring out and was proud that it was his way to buck the system.

3. Yes it is your responsability. - Everywhere I've worked has always had a line in the job description that basicly states: --- and anything else we can think of to ask you to do. Read your employee handbook.

4. Don't say can't. - Unless you are physically or mentaly challenged you're not asked to do anything you can't do.

5. Display the skill set required to do your job.

on a scale of 1 to 10 I'd rather have a 10 employee and a 4 optician than the reverse.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    6. (a corollary of #1) Know the company policy on breaks. Yes, you're allowed to go to the bathroom, but not 10 times in one morning. If you're that sick, go home. Yes the docs let us go get coffee from next door, but it doesn't take 1/2 an hour to get a cup of drip coffee.

7. The internet is provided at work for work purposes. Not to play online games, shop on ebay, or look for another job.

8. Not every part of the job has to be or will be fun. We all hate filing patient charts but we all have to do it. We all think cleaning the frames is tedious but we all have to do it.

9. We are allowed to vent our frustrations occasionally, but don't stand there and constantly complain about how everything was done so much better at your last job. If it was so great, why are you working here?

10. Working with the public involves being polite and attentive. Smiling is always a good thing. Do not, I repeat DO NOT, ignore patients because you think they're an imposition of your time.

Our junior assistant will be leaving at the end of the week. Can you guess why?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What you have described so far are undesirable qualities. If you want to make a list of positive attributes than it might go something like this:

A good employee is:

1. Punctual 90% of the time and apologetic the other 10%.

2. If company policy is percieved as stupid by most of the staff it probably is and needs to be re-thought. Employees who question stupidity are not a bad thing.

3. Responsibilty belongs to everyone. Good employees(and managment) understand this.

4. "Can't" and "won't" are insubordination. Good employees always try.

5. Skills are cumulative and good employees are eager to learn them. Good managers are skillful teachers and mentors.

6. Good employees know how to plan breaks around busy schedules and understand taking too long is unfair to their fellow employees.

7. This is a given. Though checking e-mail quickly during lunch is something we all do. A good employee doesn't abuse the privilage.

8. A good employee trys not to complain too loudly about what must be done.

9. Bringing good ideas from your last job is great but comparison is simply bad manners.

10. A good employee likes working with the public, is a "people person" and has a genuine smile. Ignoring patients and considering them an imposition of your time is cause for dismissal.

Experience is welcome but not always available. I would hire an intelligent individual with personality and enthusiasm any day. If you're smart and eager, optics can be taught. It doesn't work the other way around.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    Employees who question stupidity are not a bad thing.
    agreed sort of

Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    2. If company policy is percieved as stupid by most of the staff it probably is and needs to be re-thought.
    what is stupid to a younger employee in regards to appearance or action is common sense to their senior patient.

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    A good employee is one who takes ownership and pride in the business and operates as if they had a financial interest.

Everything else will fall into place.
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

Occupation

An unbeatable management strategy

Goal 1 - An employee whose goal is to delight the customer.

Goal 2 – A management team whose goal is to provide the employee with whatever he needs to accomplish Goal 1

If Goal 1 and Goal 2 are successfully implemented all the rest will fall into place.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by k12311997 View Post
    agreed sort of

what is stupid to a younger employee in regards to appearance or action is common sense to their senior patient.

I have a sign up in jest:
    "The person that complains the most about the boss' stupidity would be the first one gone if the boss was any smarter"
    :D:D
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Something Wicked This WayComes AngryFish's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

A more realistic list

1. A willingness to be taken advantage of.
    2. The belief that any group of people is a “team”
    3. Emotional vulnerability allowing for poor or undefined personal boundaries.
    4. A timidity that borders on cowardice.
    5. Acceptance of your role and recognition of your place.
    6. Desire to never be fully recognized for who you are.
    7. The recognition that happiness is never self defined.
    8. Knowledge that self denial is the only way to cling to the mediocrity that makes others feel secure in enough in theirs to not be threatened by you.
    9. A resignation that prevents you from thinking you can do any better.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    AngryFish, are you serious??

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryFish View Post
    8. Knowledge that self denial is the only way to cling to the mediocrity that makes others feel secure in enough in theirs to not be threatened by you.

I will say that was very well worded, did your therapist help? (just kidding if you haven't figured it out yet I'm a smarta$$)

I realize you come from a chain store background and I actually agree with most of the points you raised within that context. The whole world is not like this. There are even chain locations who have been blessed with good management, as concerned with their employees as their numbers. Best of luck in finding yourself a situation which will allow you to change your viewpoints.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think you have just described Rusty, my childhood dog.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    If you have a boss that appreciates and shows that appreciation then you will get all of the above. For you to care for the company, you have to have someone show they care about you. If that be as a person or employee, treat them with respect. Other wise, your employees just won't care.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    agreed sort of

No question there are regional aspects to this. An earring would be no big deal. I’ve worked with doctors who had earrings (and were men).

And despite the prevalence of tattoos today, and the fact that many staff members have tattoos, it’s still not kosher to have them visible in our office.
    www.opticaljedi.com
    www.facebook.com/opticaljedi
    www.twitter.com/opticaljedi

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by k12312007
    4. Don't say can't. - Unless you are physically or mentaly challenged you're not asked to do anything you can't do.
    Can't is a common term in my dictionary. Try this on for size:

FT35 Poly Transition Brown - Can't
    Varilux Comfort 10mm seg height - Can't + sometimes a response like "are you retarded :hammer::D"

Quote Originally Posted by Grubendol
    And despite the prevalence of tattoos today, and the fact that many staff members have tattoos, it’s still not kosher to have them visible in our office.
    That sucks no tattoos, boo.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post

Varilux Comfort 10mm seg height - Can't + sometimes a response like "are you retarded :hammer::D"

If your employer is asking for these things they need a little guidance. Patients ask for the impossible all the time. ie scratch proof

Occupation
    If your employer is asking for these things they need a little guidance. Patients ask for the impossible all the time. ie scratch proof
    You go the guidance part right. You are absolutely right though a can do attitude is expected, I'm just butin' your chops.

Oh and no bustin' your bosses chops. (I break that rule all the time) :D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post

That sucks no tattoos, boo.

It’s something I’m digging at slowly…I’m one of the tattoo’d ones, but the thing at this point is not having them overtly visible (i.e. we had a candidate for a position, iraq vet, but he had a tattoo up his neck. Just wouldn’t fly with some of our older patients, even in Hollywood/Beverly Hills.
    www.opticaljedi.com
    www.facebook.com/opticaljedi
    www.twitter.com/opticaljedi

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubendol View Post
    It’s something I’m digging at slowly…I’m one of the tattoo’d ones, but the thing at this point is not having them overtly visible (i.e. we had a candidate for a position, iraq vet, but he had a tattoo up his neck. Just wouldn’t fly with some of our older patients, even in Hollywood/Beverly Hills.
    Mines on the right side of my head and when my hairs cut low sometimes people notice. My old boss said I sold more when I used to shave my head than when I wore my hair out. And people used to come in asking for the guy with the tattoo on his head.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No wonder angryfish is angry. With self esteem like that you need a better job, a better attitude. Or at least to party like hell off the job to get rid of your frustrations.

Chip

Sounds like the poor girl feels the world is against her and she is too week to fight back. I can relate as to this as I was 50 or so before I realized the world didn't care enough to go to war with me. And 60 or so before

Occupation
    Man I had one of those days yesterday. Take the world off your shoulders for a while and have one of these: :cheers:

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Reading the reply by Angryfish, I feel a "what makes a good employer" discussion coming on.
    Optical technicians in Britain.

http://www.optiglaze.co.uk/forum/

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

A latent contribution

General rules and chatheristics:
    1) Never hire anyone who has worked for state, city or local governement. Also no one who has worked in the claims department of an insurance company, especially Blue Cross and Medicare. They don't know what the work ethic is.
    2) Hire Someone who sees things needing done and does them without compliaint.
    3) Hire Someone who reads.
    4) Hire people who are willing to learn and do whatever is required.
    5) Immeadately fire anyone who says: "That's not my job discription."
    6) Reward anyone who asks a question you cannot answer and comes back with the answer the next day.
    7) Fire whiners.
    8) Fire drunks, druggies and general Monday no-shows.
    9) Fire people who cannot talk nicely and comely to customers especially when there is a problem.
    10) Be very suspicious of employees who drink Scotch.

Occupation
    I would also include pipe smokers and I dont mean just the ones who smoke Columbian Marching Powder. Have you ever noticed how they spent half the day filling, tamping, cleaning and God knows what all. They also tend to wear Birkenstocks, have a pony tail, generally spend all their time complaining about social issues and think AL Gore is the Savior incarnate. Moonbats

Thread Information