Thread: Does one have to honor VSP warranty policies?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist

Does one have to honor VSP warranty policies?

I have had a number of VSP patients who have come back 6-8 months after dispensing with various complaints about their lenses. My optician tells me that the VSP lab that we use has a "one year warranty policy" for lenses for VSP. However, the general policy in my office is 90 days. Do I need to extend this for VSP patients? I feel that coming in 8 months later is abusive and don't understand why the vsp policy is so generous.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a gripe with this as well. My suggestion is to read up on VSPs policy and stick to it. If you don't, the patient may push the issue with VSP and if you told them something incorrect-they will both be breathing done your neck! Remember, VSP bought the lenses, not you. Good luck!
    Last edited by Fezz; 08-28-2007 at 10:49 AM.

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree completely with Fezz.

My understanding of VSP's "warrantee" policies:

-- they will remake lenses if there's an Rx change or a defect in manufacture or measurements within the first six months maximum.

-- The VSP contract labs I deal with warrant the lenses against scratching based on the type of coating and the warrantee offered by the coating company: usually 1 year for in-house RLX, 2 years for TD2 or FoundationXT and for premium ARs like Alize, Carat Advantage, etc.

-- If the patient doesn't like the frame (buyer's remorse), VSP will let our standard office policy (and the lab's policy) dictate whether, or how much, to charge for redoing the lenses. They also expect us to honor the same policy on the frame as we would for any other patient. Example: if the office policy for private-pay patients is that the patient can have the glasses redone in a new frame within 30 days and the lenses will be 50% off and the old frame price will be credited to the new one, then that's the policy VSP expects us to give to their patients as well.

Good luck with all this.
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    I checked with VSP and they confirm that the policy is basically 6 months with one redo. Any provider of VSP has to honor that policy for their vsp patients. The policy does not extend to frames, only lenses.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ilanh View Post
    I have had a number of VSP patients who have come back 6-8 months after dispensing with various complaints about their lenses. My optician tells me that the VSP lab that we use has a "one year warranty policy" for lenses for VSP. However, the general policy in my office is 90 days. Do I need to extend this for VSP patients? I feel that coming in 8 months later is abusive and don't understand why the vsp policy is so generous.
    VSP does not that I know of have a one year warranty policy at all. Actually any defects found in the lenses would be covered under the particular VSP lab's warranty policy whatever that may be. If it is a complaint about the Rx after that long than your office policy stands(unless the patient complains to VSP)and any redos for Rx changes or errors in fitting after six months(and actually even before)would be handled between the office and the lab on a private basis. So, if a VSP patient comes in after 8 months with the AR coming off their lenses and you know that the VSP lab warranties this for one year, you wouldn't want to send it back?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    It appears as though you've answered your own question, but it makes sense that if you entered into an agreement with VSP that you must abide by that agreement.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What about Sight For Students? You can't choose any VSP lab, you have to use THE VSP lab. I didn't negotiate anything with them, and those are the customers that want even more, because they're not paying anything in the first place.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My last experience with VSP's Sight for Students was when we had 2 sisters in. We were to order both with transitions, and the one my coworker entered was ordered without. When she called the lab to tell them of her error, (after the lense had been cut) she was told too bad. If you want them remade, you can pay.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
    My last experience with VSP's Sight for Students was when we had 2 sisters in. We were to order both with transitions, and the one my coworker entered was ordered without. When she called the lab to tell them of her error, (after the lense had been cut) she was told too bad. If you want them remade, you can pay.
    Yes, but you can keep the payment made for Transitions by the patient right?

Thread Information