Thread: Something stinks in here!!!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Something stinks in here!!!

Oh my goodness!!! Our optician edged a pair of Nikon 5 lenses about 2 hours ago, and it still reeks in here. Why does my desk have to be right beside the lab???? :(

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ahhhhhhh, nothing like a little rotten egg stench 1st thing in the morning. God, I love this place.

I don't use nikon lenses but I assume they smell like the other high index products. I equate it to rotten eggs.

Banned
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Smells like money!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm used to it but I often wonder what the patients think.

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

ahahaha...jsut kidding mlm...ahahaha

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    Ahhhhhhh, nothing like a little rotten egg stench 1st thing in the morning. God, I love this place.

I don't use nikon lenses but I assume they smell like the other high index products. I equate it to rotten eggs.
    The 1.74 smells the worst, IMO.

One smart guy on this board pulled the light out of his Gamma or Kappa edging chamber and put in a hose w/ a little fan to exhaust outside or to a charcoal filter. Thinking about it myself.

Suggest you neighbor do what I do to erradicate other sulfur smells in the lab; strike a match;)

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post

Oh, this is way beyond rotten egg grossness. It was burning tar and flesh grossness. We opened the front and back doors to move the air out, but it lingered in the pretest and exam rooms for hours. And guess where I am when I'm not at my desk...

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You sure someone working there doesn't just to watch his diet?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by mlm View Post
    Oh, this is way beyond rotten egg grossness. It was burning tar and flesh grossness. We opened the front and back doors to move the air out, but it lingered in the pretest and exam rooms for hours. And guess where I am when I'm not at my desk...

One word -Ozium.

Or if you don't like the regular Ozium you can get various other similar products. We have an interval timed fragrance sprayers in our bathroom, but we keep one of the refills back in the lab for 1.60 index lenses and above. We like the Citrus or Voodoo Berry scents, either covers up lens farts well.:bbg:
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Banned
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Smells like Chinese food.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Sulfur and various aromatic structurers are added to many high-index plastics in order to increase the refractive index...
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

aww

Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    I'm used to it but I often wonder what the patients think.
    As long as they don't think its YOU....lol

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister View Post
    Sulfur and various aromatic structurers are added to many high-index plastics in order to increase the refractive index...
    Hmm, I wonder if it's the sulfur that starts messing up the ABBE. Wouldn't it be nice to see a clearer high-index lens?
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper Industrial hazards of sulfur........................

Industrial hazards
    Although sulfuric acid is non-flammable, contact with metals in the event of a spillage can lead to the liberation of hydrogen gas. The dispersal of acid aerosols and gaseous sulfur dioxide is an additional hazard of fires involving sulfuric acid. Water should not be used as the extinguishing agent because of the risk of further dispersal of aerosols: carbon dioxide is preferred where possible.
    Sulfuric acid is not considered toxic besides its obvious corrosive hazard, and the main occupational risks are skin contact leading to burns (see above) and the inhalation of aerosols. Exposure to aerosols at high concentrations leads to immediate and severe irritation of the eyes, respiratory tract and mucous membranes: this ceases rapidly after exposure, although there is a risk of subsequent pulmonary edema if tissue damage has been more severe. At lower concentrations, the most commonly reported symptom of chronic exposure to sulfuric acid aerosols is erosion of the teeth, found in virtually all studies: indications of possible chronic damage to the respiratory tract are inconclusive as of 1997. In the United States, the permissible exposure limit (PEL) for sulfuric acid is fixed at 1 mg/m³: limits in other countries are similar. Interestingly there have been reports of sulfuric acid ingestion leading to vitamin B12 deficiency with subacute combined degeneration. The spinal cord is most often affected in such cases, but the optic nerves may show demyelination, loss of axons and gliosis.

Thread Information