Thread: Spouse's in same field

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Spouse's in same field

Just curious to see if there are any other's out there who are married/in relationship with someone in the optical field. My husband and I are both opticians, we met while working at an optical chain and began to date sometime later. We've been together now for over 10 years and have worked at about 7 different places together. We have 2 wonderful children together and always like to share our "optical stories" together at night.
    Any others out there???

Vicki

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    My wife and I met while we were both opticians(dispensing and laboratory). She is now 6 months away from being an OD and I'm an ophthalmic technician. We both love eyecare and share our stories as well when we get home from a long day. I've noticed that those well-versed in several aspects of eyecare seem to be more successful and better providers.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm going to love this topic. :)
    My wife and I are both OD's. We were classmates and started dating during the middle of our 2nd year in optometry school. We both recently partnered to purchase a private office together. She's ying, and I'm yang, two completely opposite people... but we work well together.

Coincidentally, by graduation... there were 3 other couples in the graduating class. We all wound up marrying our classmates. How bizzare!!!!
    :drop:

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

I met my wife when I was . . . .

carrying bags for Safilo. She is a dispensing Optician and a Practice Manager. We have worked together and do it quite well since we do different things.

We prefer to work different offices though. That way we don't end up talking business all night long.

I hope you're all having fun and making money!!

:cheers:
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My husband is a lab rat. I actually got him started in this field when he followed me from Seattle to Indiana. We had an opening develop in the chain store, and he needed a job =)

I agree with Framebender though.. it is hard sometimes to not end up talking shop for way too long..

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I dated a girl for about 1 year. She was an apprentice in Florida and I am optician (I was not her mentor). Worst relationship I ever had. Couldn't ever get away from work even while at home.
    UFRICH:cheers:

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    My family worked together until recently. Father, son and holy ghost (oops, I mean mother).

Worked out rather nicely.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I married my boss!! I was a technician in undergrad for the O.D. owner....I went away to optometry school and we realized we missed each other a whole lot more than the normal employer/ employee relationship. We started dating while I was in Memphis and he in NJ. Many, many airplane flights later, we got married summer of my second year....many, many, many airplane flights later I've now been an O.D. in his practice...the same one I started at 6 years back!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Framebender View Post
    carrying bags for Safilo. :cheers:
    Does Fezz know about this?:D:D

(You're still a good guy in my book!):cheers:
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    My wife and I met while working in a lab together almost 14 years ago.
    We also worked retail together before she left the optical business when our 1st child was born.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I too !!

My wife worked for a large Lens Mfg and myself, an optician.
    married 18 years now.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Does Fezz know about this?:D:D

(You're still a good guy in my book!):cheers:

Just think...I USE to like Framebender!

;)

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Note:
    When I said: "Don't sleep with the help." My complaint was not with the marriage, just getting as much work out of the help if you are sleeping with them. Of course they aren't as insistant about overtime pay since they will be spending 95% of your paycheck anyway.

Chip

Bad address email on file Optical Misfit's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I met my wife 21 years ago. We worked for a chain and she was a cashier and I the lab manager. she chased me for 6 months before I would ask her out. We have been married for 18 years and she works in private practice and I still in the corporate world. I love to hear her stories and we try to help each other out when we come across an issue.
    The funny thing is she went back to school and got her associates degree in dispensing from the same school I did. But I was one of her instructors during her time there and it was quite strange in that all of her classmates always thought she was a shoe in for an "A". :finger:
    Now one of children wants to become an optometrist and we support their decision, But this will be in about 12 yrs from now and it will probably change.
    But we enjoy the conversation nightly.

Occupation
    At one point I was working with my wife, my brother in law, and my brother in laws girlfriend. Not only did we work together we had an apartment right next them so we commuted, drank together and caused generalmayhem together.

I had a lot of fun working with my wife. She was good too, knew what she was doing and could sell second pairs and additionla options like no ones business. The boss up untill a year ago used to call her to fill in every now and again. It got wierd when her younger brohter became the boss, he had fun with that.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Bad address email on file OptiChick21's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can see evryone's point of view how it is nice to work with someone you're close to or even related to... but does it ever cause problems at work for anyone? I bet it does.

I have to say from my experience and what I hear from many others having a husband / wife team as the bosses is a bad idea!! It might be fun for them, but the employees usually dont think so!

Occupation
    We had the new office manager and the bosses wife (who worked at the office, but took some time off) get into it. Office manager said something along the lines of ....always coming in late and leaving when you want. Bosses wife respond was "I'm married to the boss, that's a privilege I get."

Needless to say...office manager is actually still there! And, we just lost an employee (due to office manager being a....witch) and bosses wife has to fill in till they hire new. I don't have to go back. Well, for a couple of days I have to fill in.

Thread Information