Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The OAA and Our Future

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Alan,
    Very eloquent of you! I guess you were talking of me when you said management, huh?????? I guess I need some more information about the OAA.

If anyone is from the OAA (Judy?) on the board, could you post the mission statement or purpose of the OAA? Any more information I could get would help me to make an informed decision on joining.

~Cindy

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Cindy,

You can find the Mission Statement under the About the OAA link at their website:

http://www.oaa.org/

There is also other information, such as Bylaws and Resolutions, under that same link.

Perhaps someone can sum them up for us or further define them.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally posted by Judy Canty
    Cindy,
    Until you're an involved member, you won't have a voice. As a former member of various boards and organizations, I'm sure you understand that often compromises are made for the overall good of the organization and its constituents. Will an organization do exactly your bidding, probably not. But active membership will at least put you in position to make your opinions and desires known.
    Judy
    Cindy,
    I didn't say you wouldn't be heard. I said that by not becoming an involved member you wouldn't be heard. That applies not only to our national organizations but also at the state level as well. If you and Dannyboy will be content to complain from outside the ring, then feel free to do so. From that position, you both remain part of the problem, rather than part of the solution.

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally posted by Judy Canty

Cindy,
    If you and Dannyboy will be content to complain from outside the ring, then feel free to do so. From that position, you both remain part of the problem, rather than part of the solution.
    Judy,
    I think you need to reread my posts. I have never complained about the OAA. I have only asked for information in order to make an informed decision. I honestly have no knowledge about the OAA except to know of the letters. I have never been a member and know of no one who was a member. So I have no preconceived notions of the OAA!

Jo,
    Thanks for the link! I will check it out.

~Cindy

OptiBoard Professional

Big Smile

One of the problems I for-see, are the State's where there optical Societies are extremely powerful such as New York and Florida. I
    don't think they will give up there sovereignty infavor of OAA.

Jo's original statement was: Can the OAA lead Opticianry into the future?

State's like New York and Florida will not give up there rights to let
    an organization like the OAA lead them. Why would New York give
    in to the OAA, they have nothing to entice the opticians in New York.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Without trying to be argumentative, what rights do state associations give up when affiliating with OAA or any other organization? If there is strength in numbers, then a 50-state affiliation should build a much stronger association.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I'm confused

Why would or should state societies lose their strength because of a national affiliation?
    They shouldn't. And, I am also convinced that the new OAA doesn't have delusions of grandeur that it can replace the state society. Two different animals. OAA cannot replace a state society . . . if the state society is SERVING its membership properly. And, if it isn't, and needs support . . . OAA should give it. However, if the synergy is true and not a political good ol boys club . .. state societies should be glad to carry the national message and implement programs it agreed to by the affiliation. That's all grreat in theory. Somehow, I get the feeling, that something gets lost in the translation and suddenly this "dog" cant figure out whether it should wag its tail or its tail should wag it!
    That to me is a classic example of questionable leadership or no buy in on a shared vision or mission.
    Anyone and everyone who gets involved in that sort of "argument" needs to look in the mirror and answer the question: "Who am I and who's tee shirt am I wearing today?"
    Is this also not a classic case of not addressing the threats against the professional community in favor of who will address them?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The relationship between OAA and state associations is an affiliation not an abdication. It is, in my mind, a statement of agreement with a published mission statement, goals and course of action. While each state has individual concerns that are best addressed by it's own association, our national organization addresses the larger picture of "Advancing Americas' Opticians." The lack of support from all 50 states only dilutes the effectiveness of any form of national recognition and influence, by signaling an absence of unity within our profession.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Still confused...help me out, please

Judy, you can answer in your own words or send me to the statements that answer my question. Whatever is most comfortable. I refer to . . .

The lack of support from all 50 states only dilutes the effectiveness of any form of national recognition and influence, by signaling an absence of unity within our profession
    Could you explain the support that OAA has for the state society. Or, perhaps, better said . . . the presence of mutual support declared and anticipated.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Amendment to my posting

When I used the term mutual, I really meant reciprocal. What I'm looking for is reciprocal signs of action, not necessarily philosophy. Sorry.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Alan,
    I'm not going to offer an apologia for the OAA of the recent past. An era has come to a close and I believe we are moving in a very positive direction.
    The first most positive step was announcing the Leadership Conference, scheduled for early 2002 in Charleston, SC. The industry professionals involved in its planning and execution are committed to creating a network of state leaders. This network can and will be the cornerstone of what OAA has to offer state associations. They recognize that each state is facing different issues. However, rather than develop a seige mentality, easy to do when your area of concern ends at the state line, they seek to bring these leaders together for mutual support in identifying and solving key issues. The organization has never wavered in its support of post-secondary formal education and licensure requirements for all 50 states. It's ability to lobby in support of these goals has been hampered in recent years by declining membership and the resultant loss of income.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think most opticians criticisms of thier organizations is that they feel they are forced into a "wait and see posture." Why doesn't the OAA ask (not in a prepared poll like the National Democratic Committee pays for where the outcome is fixed) US what we want the organization to do. What outcomes do we want. What do WE think needs to be changed. This might get to the heart of the problem. Is the best Optician someone who was an exec for a large optical manufactureing/sales company? Is the best optician the man with the best bench/dispensing skills? Is he the one with the best knowledge of optical math/mechanics'. Who should be leading us down what road?

We been "waitin' n seein'. And if I read this string right, we ain't been necessisarily movin' uphill.

Votes can come from anyone in the optical business, not just the few in the backroom at the meeting.

Chip

OptiBoard Professional Dannyboy's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up new oaa?

How many times have we heard about a new OAA? How many times have we heard about a synergy between the OAA and the NAO? In any case membership obligation is something that must be answered within each optician. You cannot force any one to join an association that has such a poor record. State societies are the ones that defend the bread at the local level so that is where the membership will be within states that are licensed. It will be ideal that state societies be part of the OAA if it is within the interest of the society, but sometimes that is not the case. Money and common goals are stickers here.

I am somewhat angered at the OAA and the NAO for taking so long to recognize that opticianry does need a standard on the education of an optician. The OAA and NAO could have easily raised the bar many years ago. Opticianry cannot move forward without this. Opticians need an associates degree with uniform training across the board. An associate degree for entry into the profession should be a requirement. Such a change does not need intervention from anyone other than our own. Many of us are good leaders and many of us are good followers that is our choice. In either case, one cannot work without the other. If our state society agrees with the new OAA, I see no problem here. Raise the $ of the dues at the state level and lets be part of the OAA as long as it agrees with our common goals (which has not been the case). It will be interesting to see what membership categories this new OAA will have.

Dannyboy
    wicked as ever

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

To: Dannyboy

Very well said, Dannyboy
    Yet I can't help but believe that OAA will step in the right direction.
    Before and up to a month ago I visited hundreds of society websites ranging from aerospace to healthcare, building trades to humananities. All strive toward college education as a baseline requirement. I found none that made licensing a requirement without first a degree unless it was a subgroup operating under a master license such as plumbers. In those cases certification on tiered levels ws mandatory. I am hard pressed to see one exception to specialty certification either with or without a license. In the majority of the matured or higher education based groups there was a public relations/career promotion/media organization or committee. Opticianry has none of the above historically, planned or active. That latter function I hope will be the IOC. I have not yet seen one other trade, subprofession, or allied healthcare group that is as splintered off and duplicated as many as 3 times or more as is opticianry, and opticianry is the least trained and advanced in eyecare of the entire group under the description of opticianry. Further . . . (here I go in Readers Digest Condensed Version) Optiboard is now the primitive form and foundation of tomorrows premier optical organization. With a little more technology (Steve has the access) we could have our meetings, get committees started so on and so forth, with all the people we need (NAO/OAA?ABO/NCLE/JAHCPO etc people included). We could make it happen in a year. 2 year degrees will take 2 years. Specialty Certification in 5 months or less, to be repositioned under degreed people in the future, can be done in less than a year, we CAN be the next generation of ophthalmology, optometric, clinical, cosmetic, manufacturing, optical technicians. We should absorb them all and become independent away from the control of medicine and optometry. One problem . . . with all this eye care stuff we do . . . too many are blind to the future.

OptiBoard Professional

Big Smile

You all missed the point. Again why would New York or Florida want to give in to the OAA. They have nothing to offer these states except numbers.

Alan said:
    I found none that made licensing a requirement without first a degree unless it was a subgroup operating under a master license such as plumbers.
    Alan a few months ago you were arguing that you don't need a license, at that point you and I had some heated debates.

I also take the statement you made illiberal. That statement was:

"opticianry is the least trained and advanced in eyecare of the entire group under the description of opticianry".
    I take that as a slap in the face for every optician who has a degree and has been in this business for some time. Who are you to decide that we are least trained? Maybe for you that is true, but for the rest of us at least in New York and Florida we have to keep our continuing education going year in and year out. With statements like these that is why opticianry is going no where. I still can't believe you made that statement, maybe I took it out of context, but it still belie's the point you made that statement.:shiner:
    Last edited by rfish777; 08-16-2001 at 07:28 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Again I ask, what are states such as Florida and New York giving up or in to?

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I don't speak for Florida, but...

Hi Judy,

I could be mistaken, but I think the issue is more about $$ than philosophical differences...

Last I knew, the Florida POF directors couldn't justify sending OAA ($22.00 or $27.00) per POF member to affiliate. Multiplied by approx 900ish POF members, that is a large sum to send out every year. Our exec dir., Mark Miller is also a manager of other professional societies like speech pathologists, and others.

Anyway, he says that he has never heard of a national group (outside opticianry, optometry, ophthalmology) that requires such a high financial obligation to affiliate).

Do societies still have to pay OAA based on their own membership?

If state societies could join in name, the OAA numbers presented in DC could be enormous. Do we necessarily have to charge for this? Then, the OAA directors and members can think of other ways to earn working capital just like the state societies must do.

I do believe, though, that although the OAA is not perfect, we should follow Teddy R's advice from your signature.

I have been a paying member for over ten years, and will continue to do so. I mean, come on...are we up to something like $65.00 per year or something??? This is a low price to pay, if you ask me.

Laurie

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Laurie,
    Of course it's about money. These kinds of things always are. And yes, it's still $22.00 per member for state association affiliation. The biggest problem right now is that there simply isn't enough individual membership to support the organization, even at the low price of $65.00 a year. In fact, if you were to poll Opticians at large, I think you'd find that they think that's an outrageous sum, especially when coupled with state dues and licensing fees. But the reality is that " dues is dues". POF needs that income to function and so does OAA. The harsh reality is that firm members have traditionally provided the most in dues income for OAA and have, understandably, pressed for and received the lion's share of benefits including voting priviledges. Unfortunately, that base is also shrinking. As Opticians, we need to understand that there is a bigger picture out there beyond our state lines and do what is needed to create and support a strong national organization.

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Judy,

I agree with you completely.

Can you see the point of the states, though?

OAA is in essence saying to states like Florida, 'we want you to support us and affiliate, AND you must pay $19,800.00 per year to do so.

That is too much cash for even a strong state like Florida to build in as a yearly line item.

Are there any discussions going on that you know of to lower that fee?

Laurie

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

To: rfish777

I am also degreed. I'm from California by way of Brooklyn New York. Don't be insulted...have an egg cream! And, while you're at it have one for me, too. For heaven sakes....stop being insulted...your name never came up in the conversation. I refer to the community of opticians as being undertrained. You can't deny that. Since the there has been no demand for a 2 year degree, all we have is the ABO. And, believe me...when that gate opened, anyone could be certified and I've had my fill of undertrained ABO certified people as an employer. Unfortunately, some of the COT's are better than the ABO's. Further, I didn't say licenses should be discontinued .. . I say people should have a degree to get a license. I also say that unlicensed people should have to secure a certification as a specialty and not just collect a bunch of CEC's. While there are some CEC courses that have some real merit, I can't believe that so many are on the level of basketweaving 101.
    My God, Tarot Card Readers get nationally recognized certification on four levels and we just sit there with an ABO that seems to get less and less respect as each year passes. People like you and I hold ABO's and AA's and AS's, and other degrees while corporate optical America plays with ABO likes its a dog bone giving from 0 to $.50/ an hour for passing it. You're insulted? I'm insulted! I just love having my certification on a wall next to somebody who still can't calculate with Prentice Rule or knows why we transpose. Licenses? That, to me is a joke. Because in California people got licenses and were still optical nimrods. Sorry, my friend and esteemed colleague, I'll push for multiple certifications and degrees before I push for licenses. Licenses are receipts for paying state governments. Degrees aren't.
    And, NO....I am NOT insulting you. I never insult a fellow New Yorker optician, degreed, licensed, who will have an egg cream for me ....never....got that...never!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Laurie,
    Indeed, there are on-going discussions about everything financial, dues, fees, membership levels, etc. And I certainly do understand the states' perspective, I just completed a 2-year term as President of the Opticians Association of Virginia. Our dues are $100 annually, so $22 represents a huge chunk for us also. Somewhere in all this mess is an agreeable solution. OAA can't function without money any more than POF or OAV can. Alternative sources of funding? What, like poorly attended conventions? I'm willing to bet that POF is funded primarily through dues, as is OAV and countless other state associations. That's the nature of the beast, you pay to play. While it would look good to represent 50 states here in DC, somewhere there has to be money to pay the people doing the representing. What did your lobbying effort in FL cost in real dollars, not volunteer hours? It's not cheap at the local level and it's even more expensive at the national level. How much did AOA spend in the TPA campaign? It all boils down to money and Opticians don't believe it should be their money, it should be some other Opticians money.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hope it's OK if I jump in here too.

For those who say that the major reason for states not affiliating with OAA is philosophical then I would say simply, get in there and fix it! Don't let those "airheads" continue in what you think in a wrong direction for opticianry!

On the money issue, I agree with Judy! It does seem than many (not all!) opticians expct things to happen without spending any of their own money.

My first leadership conference was January 1991. During a plenary session, I heard people asking about OAA doing this and OAA doing that and complaining about some things not being done. As a freshman I got up and said something to this effect: "Oaa is not our mother! It is our child! We can't expect our child to feed us and make things right for us we must nurture the child and make it strong. Only then can this child of ours grow up and become a productive member of society. We also need to get of our ABOC's and get educated instead of expecting mother to hand us a diploma / license!"

A few months ago I suggested that if each member would give up two beers a day (or a speciality coffee), in addition to paying our state dues, we could soon be able to have a rally on the capital steps and pay everyone's ticket to get there. But I guess that would be too much to ask - so I guess we'll keep on sipping our beer and dreaming about tomorrow....... and complaining about the national organization. :cheers:

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

For Homer

How much does a legistative vote cost in your state? Do you really think you can out bid optometry and the chains?

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There are more of us than them and we should be ashamed for not trying.

Rich, thanks for jumping in, it was getting a little lonely out here.:shiner:
    Last edited by Judy Canty; 08-17-2001 at 08:13 AM.

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

We're with you, Judy!

Hi Judy,

Don't feel alone out here...we're with you!

PS: You are correct about the fact that we have bigger numbers.

During this past legislation here in Florida the OD's and MD's had a HUGE, expensive battle going on...which ultimately died in committee on the last day of session!

At the same time, the opticians, which MUCH less money, defeated the deregulation attempt, AND actually got a bill through!

grass roots does work.

Laurie : )

Thread Information