Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We had 11 Prada frames stolen!

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Crier We had 11 Prada frames stolen!

Monday morning I come to work and I notice one of our Prada displays sitting empty behind a chair in the waiting room. You could not see it easily from the front desk.

Turns out that sometime on Saturday someone walked over and probably dumped all the frames in her purse and then hid the empty display behind the chair. This person would have had to hold the display to her side and walk it about 30 feet to hid it behind the chair. No one saw it. I am assuming it was a woman, but of course it could have been a man with some kind of bag.

Of course we didn't have our cameras working, they are now.

Has anyone else had a lot of frames stolen? How do you try to prevent it?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Wow, that stinks..too bad. I have always put the most expensive stuff under lock and key. But criminals are quick and slick I think they could steal under peoples noses very easily. If you haven't already call your local optical's they may be seeing a rise in Prada for lenses only. They may help you out. Good Luck.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I just discovered this morning that about a dozen plano sunglasses have disappeared. I checked the video but could not spot who did it, so it must have been a few days ago. I need a bigger hard drive to store more video because I have to delete ones that are two days old to make room.
    Sheesh! The sunglass display is right by one of our Video Surveillance signs and 10 feet from one of our cameras.:angry:
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Let your rep know as well as they cover a larger area and could come by an account that has seen an unusual amount of POF pradas coming through the door. Oh and sorry to hear that really sucks and I hope th eperson gets caught.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was gone Friday, I have a man that fills in for me. He got distracted by a couple while a 3rd ripped us of. 2 Caviars, Silhouette rimless, 2 oakley rx, a couple of Nikes and 3 Burberry. He didn't have a clue until I talked to him Monday. Retail $2800

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I "lost" apair of rayban polorized yesterday right under my nose. No where near your loss dragon, I feel for ya.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wow

The Crooks are making out like bandits.
    sorry to hear of your loss.

The best way to prevent theft is to be present around people while they shop, also make sure you have no empty spaces on your boards, and third, updated vidio cameras.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by ShuString View Post
    The Crooks are making out like bandits.
    sorry to hear of your loss.

The best way to prevent theft is to be present around people while they shop, also make sure you have no empty spaces on your boards, and third, updated vidio cameras.
    Oh, yeah, we know that, but the last three days, it has been crazy busy here. Sometimes all of us are in the back working on frames, etc. You'd think other customers would notice that and tell us.

Time to upgrade the video recording hardware to one that will show four cameras in split-screen, instead of the ones we have now that shift between three different cameras.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Since I don't want our store to be a target, I do not carry Pradas or too many other thief magnets. My Gucci is under lock and key and we keep our sunglasses near the front desk. If someone suspicious comes in we do not leave their side even to do a requested repair (they love you to leave). And "oh sorry, we have misplaced our key to the Gucci display" we'll have a new one by next week" They of course never return.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    About 10 years ago there was a profesional theft ring going from Florida all the way to Texas breaking into opticals. In Houston alone they hit 43 shops. Ours was one of them. 12K's worth (wholesale) they took us for. They broke a small corner window in the front and only took high $ frames. They knew what they were doing. Didn't even look for petty cash or equiptment.

To this day I'd like to catch one of them and give them a butt thumpin' for the mess they left in our office.:angry:

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Now you know, the Devil wears Prada!
    Seriously, keep your cameras working and have a monitor in plain view of the display area where the perpetrators can see that they are on camera everywhere. Doesn't matter whether you record or not, just so they see that they are on camera and think they are being recorded.

If you record, this might help you with proscecution, if they are caught and if they can't plea bargin, and if the prosceutor thinks they are worth his trouble, etc. And you will spend a lot of your time in court.

You want them to not steal from your store, you are not interested in capturing and prosecuting criminals.

Chip:cheers:

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm afraid to post, to date we were robed only once, November '05. it was a break in and they didn't take a single frame not even a sunglass for themselves. they took three out of five hard drives. luckily they didn't take the server so got no patient information.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

frames stolen

FYI

Radio shack sells fake cameras that look real, and are cheap. A great way to fake them out!

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I wonder if these new online dispensaries are involved (or at least buying them).

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Theft

we have also had a huge bump in theft - and of coarse all high end stuff - in dec - 06 - we had about 3K taken - right after that i was reading something about why gas stations and retail places chnaged their camra monitors to be in visiable places -

we have cams - however - go figure - no recorder - ( they are out back - i guess so we can see if someone comes in - anyways - i updated the monitor - placed it directly on the retail floor - so everyone could see - and it seemed to have some detrerant value -
    there where 2 folks we always thought where stealing from us - and they did come in - and see the new placement of the monitors - and they left -

however - on the other hand - there have been 2 we caught - these folks are so bold ! - they must really think they are slick - working in a team - i saw them pick up a pr of prada - and place them in their pocket - my mouth dropped - in amazement - I would love to be able to mark the frames - so tiny - that when a some1 comes back with frames - for Lens only - i can see if it is mine - or not - I usually give a little 3rd degree - if some1 comes back in from shopping a few weeks ago - and brings in a frame we carry - esp if it is a priv. label product no one else has -

anyways - i just walked over and asked if i could get them a designer case for those PRADA;'s they have - and he took them out and gave them back -

unreal - anyways - As i can see many of us are seeing increase in theft -

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by k12311997 View Post
    I'm afraid to post, to date we were robed only once, November '05. it was a break in and they didn't take a single frame not even a sunglass for themselves. they took three out of five hard drives. luckily they didn't take the server so got no patient information.
    Ditto. Same month, same year, they took 3 of 6 computers, but not the server. Also took 3 trash cans to put the computers into. Didn't even touch the cash drawer. Didn't take the laptop. Didn't even grab a pair of plano suns. Amazing.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ShuString View Post
    FYI

Radio shack sells fake cameras that look real, and are cheap. A great way to fake them out!

Why go fake?

You can get 4 real cameras for the whole office for the price of a pair of glasses. Cheap Insurance!
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Cameras

nothing like the real thing but, some people don't want to pony up the cash.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Not this store baby!

Quote Originally Posted by bt5050 View Post
    As i can see many of us are seeing increase in theft -
    Luckily for me, ECCA is way to cheap to have high end frames in stock. At least at my store. We have a suns display case where we keep various more expensive high-demand frames, but the key was lost a long time ago. Fortunately, the door on that case makes enough noise to be heard throughout the store.:bbg:
    ~Rob

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have had 2 large robberies where they cleared out our sunglasses and Cartier frames. They came in for the Cartiers and sunglasses were just for fun. After that, we have put in bulletproof glass, removed or barred rear windows, put on double locks and put in a interior cage on the front of the store.

In terms of daytime theft we have put in a Sensormatic alarm system and about 8 cameras. It is more of a deterrent than anything. But it doesnt stop some people. If they want it, they will take it. But we have caught people and have pictures of others who have stolen things.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hitch them cameras to a monitor that the perps can see dat dey is on camera befo' dey steals de stuff. The cops just fill out forms for your insurance company.

Were the stolen Pradas regular or knock-off? Need to know before I put a price on them.

Chip

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    thread is just under 2 years old.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Sorry Happylady!

Here in Florida you actually have to witness in person the actual theft and the thieve leave the store. We have had the same sad circumstance happen in our office. We now know what to look for, we had about 12 Gucci, Dior and Cazal's taken from under our noses. We keep the really expensive stuff in jewelers cases.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by k12311997 View Post
    thread is just under 2 years old.
    Sorry, for the reviving it. Im just looking through the forum and posting my opinions on anything. :shiner:

Also...
    I do have them setup to a computer screen that is directed towards the store.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Good to revive a post like this..............

Good to revive a post like this..............this is the time to do it and be watchful.

Thread Information