Thread: ANSI and Lenswasher

Something Wicked This WayComes AngryFish's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

ANSI and Lenswasher

Do the ANSI or any ISO standards state or imply anything that would counter indicate, discourage, or forbid the use of lenswasher on a NEW pair of eyeglasses or define it’s use as out of tolerance or sub-standard?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Do the ANSI or any ISO standards state or imply anything that would counter indicate, discourage, or forbid the use of lenswasher on a NEW pair of eyeglasses or define it’s use as out of tolerance or sub-standard?
    1st: why are you using washer on a new pair? I don't believe either ansi or iso has any guidelines on washer
    Last edited by obxeyeguy; 08-03-2007 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Re-read,1st came off as rude, didn't mean it that way

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

lens washer

the only time i'd use lens washer is when a customer brings in glasses they bought elsewhere, never on new product that we make, thats spells poor qc.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am perfectly in sympathy with washer showing poor quality. But we are very remote from our lab. Often we recieve replacement lenses that we do while the patient continues to wear the frame. As often as not we recieve the lenses a scoatch off large or small. If large we hand edge down (occasionionaly we end up with a gap) or if small we need washer.
    Now this is also often compounded with the job may have taken enough time to get to us (we'll skip the lab excuses here) to the point that the patient is anything but patient, or the patient is about to go on a trip,etc.

We do what we have to do. If we did our lab work in house I would have a much tighter hand on quality controls.

Chip

Something Wicked This WayComes AngryFish's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Danger Will Robinson...

Then is it true than that there are no standards established for the proper mating of the lens to the frame? We have ANSI standards for lens impact resistance and safety frame design but NOTHING insuring they work TOGETHER as designed? If this is the case I see a serious need for the industry. Based on my twenty years of experience in the field and the concurrence of many peers in the industry there is a not uncommon problem regarding the proper glazing of lenses into frames, inconsistencies in lens diameter relative to frame geometry, bevel placement, and groove depth to name just a few. In my mind the use of lens washer in the manufacture of a new pair of eyewear assumes greater understanding of the design of the frame than the engineers licensed to design it and this sounds arrogant and fool hearty to me not to mention it assumes liability for the performance of an ad hoc modified device.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I personally, would be concerned with what happens - lawsuit wise, if the lens comes out when only retained by a "lens washer". But then I never use those things.
    J. R. Smith

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lens Liner - "Filler"

Personally - i think it is unethical - and actually is poor customer service - to disp filler in a new pr of glasses -

we all know that the pt wants there glasses - yesterday - however - i have found being honest - with the pt - and explaining what happened - and how you are going to fix the issue - th ept understands 99/9% of the time - and that .01 % - if they don't - i really don't want their buiness -

as for repairs - and outside jobs - i do use it - and sometimes - if it is clearly small - or bad bevels - i will tell the pt - why i need to use it -

?? I do have a ? for you - ??
    those jobs you use liner on - DO U reorder the lens - and ensure you get it to the pt - ? ( is this liner just used as a temp solution ? ) - or do u dipense them - and forget about fixing your error - ?

thats kinda like scratches - yes - you could prob. pass them out - and out the pt goes - thinking the next day they might have doen it - but for me - i treat almost all our pts - like i would want to be treated - and if something is wrong - we just fix it -
    i know if i just spent 700 dollars on a new pr of glasses - i would want them pretty close to being perfect -

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    We do what we have to do. If we did our lab work in house I would have a much tighter hand on quality controls.

Chip
    I agree Chip! Even with the lab, if you had a run on -1.75s that day, and your edger took liberties with the last one, you do what you have to do.

When this happens, I explain that I am not going to charge the customer any extra (I'm a nice guy) for the lens "cushion" that will protect his lens in the event of jolts and jarring while mt. biking and/or other leisurely pursuits.

I do, however, always tell them to come back as soon as they can so we can make it right. It shows that we're human, and we'll admit it.

:cheers:
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Back in the days of mostly glass, there were a few frames that were not too friendly to glass due to poor alignment, etc. Frequently when adjusting these frames you would chip or flake the lens irregardless of whether you loosened the eyewire screw or not. I learned that with these frames, I would insert a 10m long piece of liner to cushion the lens at the eyewire joint. That really helped!
    But no, I don't think you should use liner on a new job.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Chip

I hear ya Chip, in those situations you do what you have to do But, I myself wouldn't.
    Last edited by ShuString; 08-06-2007 at 10:29 AM. Reason: my opinion

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper The only time...........................

Quote Originally Posted by ShuString View Post
    \the only time i'd use lens washer is when a customer brings in glasses they bought elsewhere, never on new product that we make, thats spells poor qc.
    I just love that post..................only the others are sinners, .................

In the old days we used to save the lead top from the wine bottles to help out in an emergency. It has alsways been frowned upon the use of washers as long as lenses have been inserted into frames.

However it does happen once in a while and arn't we glad to have them. The inventor should have a monument in his name.

....... .........................

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    I just love that post..................only the others are sinners, .................

In the old days we used to save the lead top from the wine bottles to help out in an emergency. It has alsways been frowned upon the use of washers as long as lenses have been inserted into frames.

However it does happen once in a while and arn't we glad to have them. The inventor should have a monument in his name.

....... .........................
    Your Point Chris? I was stating that I dont use it to fix loose lenses,I'd remake them, plain and simple.

Thread Information