Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid things I have done and said.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Stupid things I have done and said.

How many time have you had two pairs of spectacles sold and then been stupid enough to bring up transitions? Patient: Response: Then I won't need but one pair.
    How many times have you tried to show off shortening a temple (especially if it's a free adjustment on a compeditor's glasses) and cut it too short?

Chip

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    How many times have you tried to show off shortening a temple (especially if it's a free adjustment on a compeditor's glasses) and cut it too short?
    I only take 5mm off at a time, unless it is a gross amount of temple, then I do 10mm. Then I try it on the patient and see if that is OK, if it is, I then take and file it down smooth. I have however shot myself in the foot with the transitions lens, but often recover with they don't work in the car, I think the amount that opt for one pair, compared to the ones that now add transitions to one pair helps to offset any loss (it's a wash). I do often shoot myself in the foot with polarized when they ask if there are any negatives. Sometimes I am brutally honest and ask if they have a navigation system or a cell phone and have them try on the demo pair and look at these devices, it is the one complaint I hear alot about, but most people are happy that I mentioned it, especially the ones with navigation systems.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Weeks after opening my own shop (business greatly needed), this guy comes in to buy a high quality pr. of eyeglasses. His only reason is that his current eyeglasses just aren't physically comfortable on him. He has had them adjusted a few times at different places, so he's willing to give up and just get a new pair. He orders expensive everything-lens and frame. As we finished up I offered to adjust his present eyeglasses to see if I could get him some comfort till his new eyeglasses would be ready. He leaves, I place my orders. Four or five hours later the phone rings, its him. I'm hoping he wants to upgrade to Transitions or something. Nooooo! I adjusted his glasses so well that "he now has no need for the new pair of glasses. His glasses feel great now. Thanks so much for fixing my glasses". Never saw him again. Do I need to tell you how I handle the same situations since??

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Specs View Post
    Weeks after opening my own shop (business greatly needed), this guy comes in to buy a high quality pr. of eyeglasses. His only reason is that his current eyeglasses just aren't physically comfortable on him. He has had them adjusted a few times at different places, so he's willing to give up and just get a new pair. He orders expensive everything-lens and frame. As we finished up I offered to adjust his present eyeglasses to see if I could get him some comfort till his new eyeglasses would be ready. He leaves, I place my orders. Four or five hours later the phone rings, its him. I'm hoping he wants to upgrade to Transitions or something. Nooooo! I adjusted his glasses so well that "he now has no need for the new pair of glasses. His glasses feel great now. Thanks so much for fixing my glasses". Never saw him again. Do I need to tell you how I handle the same situations since??
    Soooooo have done that, too!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

stupid thing i've said

I had two women come in and one was a patient, she was picking up her glasses. I said "you two look related" and the other lady says, how are we related? I looked at them again and said, this is your mother..Needless to say open mouth and insert both feet. they happen too be sisters lol. well they thought it was funny but damn i'm keeping a piece of duct tape on hand for the next time someone asks me to guess their age...

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i had an associate that was cutting off temples one day and the metal piece shot straight up her nose. it was GREAT!!!

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Specs View Post
    I did much the same. A woman cames in for an exam and while waiting starts to look at frames. She complains to me that she is seeing very poorly out of her glasses which were progressives. I could just look at them and see that they were horribly out of adjustment. The bottom tilted out, they were very crooked. I offered to adjust them for her. When I was done she told me she could see perfectly.

Yes, she got an exam, but not new glasses. Still, I think I did the right thing.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    How many time have you had two pairs of spectacles sold and then been stupid enough to bring up transitions? Patient: Response: Then I won't need but one pair.

Chip
    Yeah, been there done that! I had a great 2 pair sale going until, just yaking optical mentioned transitions and the suns went right out the window. After the patient left I went out back and slapped myself!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "How about I change those nose pads for you?" for the spouse of a new pair customer.
    "oops!" as the pad arm of a discontinued pair disintegrates in my hand.
    "The Good Lord gave us mountains so we could learn how to climb". ~ Lonestar

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    "Here, come an watch me solder your nose pad arm back on."

Whump! Entire frame bursts into flames. Stupid plastic coatings!:hammer:
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    My first week on a job at one place. Someone sat on his glasses, and need the temples straightened. I swear, I only put slight pressure on it and it snapped off. Worst thing is we had no back room, so it was directly in front of the customer.

Also, one of our best clients was getting a warranty job. Roundish, single vision, rimlon. She also lives three hours away (actually, I now work with her and she is techinically an employee of mine, as I now live in the same town). Get a call and she cannot see. Of course I put the right in the left and the left in the right. :hammer:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AutumN View Post
    Yeah, been there done that! I had a great 2 pair sale going until, just yaking optical mentioned transitions and the suns went right out the window. After the patient left I went out back and slapped myself!
    I always mention Transitions as an option but make it very clear that they do not take the place of a good pair of Rx suns. They don't get as dark, are not polorized and will not change behind your car windshield.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Of course being honest we have to say the transitions are a sunglass substitute for people like me that are too dumb to keep up with the whereabouts of two pair of glasses.
    When I really need them shades always seem to be somewhere else.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How about this doozey...

So I ordered a Transitions 1.67 with ARC for a patient with a +6.75 with some cyl rx...

Been over 2 weeks, and the lab was having issues getting the lens to pass quality inspection. After 3 weeks raised a big stink, politely told the lab rep that if they couldn't get their turn around issues fixed (seems like most ARC's are taking about 2 weeks) that I will have to seek my ARC services elsewhere...IN the mean time they agreed to comp a pair of polarized lenses for the patient as a apologetic gesture.

Order finally came in yesterday after a month at the lab. Opened the box, pulled out the order first thing.. and noticed exactly why they had issues..IT WAS THE WRONG FRAME. A semi-rimless one at that! Seems when I ordered the frame online and had it shipped directly to the lab, I accidently typed in model # 325 instead of #326 and since I was using eyefinity to do so and just clicked on the ebuy banner down below.. they got frame 325....

So I humbly called up the lab and explained that I was a moron upon occasion and was greatly humbled by my gaffe. No wonder they were having issues! The CSR thanked me for admitting it was my error, saying most accounts would try to pin it on them, and offered to comp the remake since they felt bad about my original turn around on the order.

At least the the eyewear looked good. I was amazed they made it look so beautiful The color of the frame was close to the full rim frame we wanted, and the shape was there too.. So we dispensed them as a "loaner" till we got the correct ones in to give her a chance to get used to the new RX and smaller eye size..

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

OptiBoard Professional bren_03825's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Put a self tapping screw in the eyewire, clipped it off, and it bounced off eyebrow, glasses, and got in my eye. had to have the doctor remove foreign body.

sold three pr o' glasses, outside doc, made them correct, pt loved it, it was the thinnest pair of glasses they ever had( ALL 3 PR HMMM). Rx was a minus 7, not a 1, doc didn't slash his sevens.

OOOOPS
    :hammer:

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Been stupid enough to try to weld an semi-rimless without removing the nylon from the top of the chassis?

But then I charge $10 for a solder job if I don't burn my finger, and $15 if I burn myself.

Been stupid enough to put very high index lenses in a salt pan? I think this is why most of us went to hot air blowers.

Said: "Doctor you're wrong."?

Let it show that you wanted to tell a monther: "Why don't you smack that kid right now when he needs it!"

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    1) Super-glued my finger to a frame.

2) Finally got a frame to fit together and had to take it apart because a tiny piece of my skin was caught in between the eyewire and frame.

I'm obviously very attached to my work!
    WooHoo
    ;)Ohio

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by WooHoo View Post
    1) Super-glued my finger to a frame.

2) Finally got a frame to fit together and had to take it apart because a tiny piece of my skin was caught in between the eyewire and frame.

I'm obviously very attached to my work!

I had an employee grab a bottle of eye drops and put them in her eye. Problem was that it was super glue and not eye drops.

Never knew that if you leave super glue in overnight that your tears will break it down. Fortunatley our doctor did know that.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Another one of the dumbest things I've said/done.

A female patient had very much updated her look with her new glasses. She put them on and examined her reflection.

She said she was very pleased with the glasses but asked, as she looked in the mirror, if I couldn't now do something about all those wrinkles.

"Yes," I shot back, "Just take off the glasses!"

(I think I was born without the filter between my brain and my tongue that other people seem to have.)

Darn it, come to think of it, I could support this thread for years by myself!
    WooHoo
    ;)Ohio

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Don't teach me how to remember, teach me how to forget ...

Quote Originally Posted by WooHoo View Post
    A female patient had very much updated her look with her new glasses. She put them on and examined her reflection.

She said she was very pleased with the glasses but asked, as she looked in the mirror, if I couldn't now do something about all those wrinkles.

"Yes," I shot back, "Just take off the glasses!"

(I think I was born without the filter between my brain and my tongue that other people seem to have.)

Darn it, come to think of it, I could support this thread for years by myself!
    At the Iran/Contragate congressional hearings Col. Oliver North said it best when asked about his involvement in illegal diversions of money.

"For over two hundred years my fellow Marines have died face down in the mud protecting my right not to answer that question!"

Now that's how you plead the 5th amendment:D

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wrinkles

Many years ago before implants, we tried whenever possible to force all aphakic patients to wear contact lenses. We used to keep these patients three hours on the initial delivery. The patients were almost univerally thrilled, the doorways were no longer curved, they could see to the sides, objects were no longer noticeably larger than life. All went well, then after two hours of wear we sat them down at the table and attempted to instruct them on insertion/removal and care with a magnifying mirror.
    Too many of these patients took one look and remarked: "Oh my God, I didn't know I had all these wrinkles."
    Nothing I or the doctor or the family could do (varied from compassion to threats of not being able to function in life) would cause these patients to go any further with contact lenses.

Chip:hammer:

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I once ordered a pair of Essilor Varilux Panamic 1,56 for a customer who was wearing a pair of rimless prescription sunglasses frame. She was wearing PA L's, with a two color gradient filter tint. She wanted the new lenses to have the same color but she told me she needed her sunglasses. I tried to make her life easier by allowing her to wear the sunglasses until the new pair would be shipped to me, from France...SHE WAS WELL HAPPY, BUT....... later on I realized what i have done when I looked at the order sheet: "Essilor Varilux Panamic 1,56 lenses with a tint like the sample included (there was no sample because the customer was...wearing it.... DOH!!!)

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by kmc View Post
    i had an associate that was cutting off temples one day and the metal piece shot straight up her nose. it was GREAT!!!
    Put a self tapping screw in the eyewire, clipped it off, and it bounced off eyebrow, glasses, and got in my eye. had to have the doctor remove foreign body.
    :finger:

Um...there are MUCH better ways to remove excess metal. I can't imagine how quickly you'd lose your shirts if those scraps became foreign bodies in your patients' eyes!

To safely remove excess temple length, determine your cut point and, with gentle pressure, score a ring around the temple at that point with your clipper, being careful not to apply so much pressure that you snap it and skyrocket it into oblivion. Once that's done, position your needlenose pliers sideways right next to the score line and begin torquing them back and forth until the excess shears off. If you've done a good job scoring there won't be any rough edges to file and the temple covers will just slip right back on.

With screws bear in mind the fact that they are often referred to as Tap n' Snap (not CLIP). Get your needlenose pliers out again and this time come straight in with the plier completely in line with the screw. Get the nose as close as you can to the frame and grip firmly then with gentle pressure, rock the pliers back and forth and BINGO - the extra length just snaps off!

Oh, and lastly, I'm the guy that gets too involved in the conversation to notice that I've not inserted the patient's newly edged lenses after having removed their old ones and I go to spray them...

My fingertips have never been cleaner!

kk

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A woman on the smaller size came in one day with one of those large fashonable plastic sunglasses. Of course the temples weren't adjusted properly and they were falling down her nose. The frame was so solid I had to heat it up quite a bit to even get the plastic to bend. I must have spent about 10 minutes trying to get both temples bent. After finally finishing I look down at my hands, and the combonation of the heat of the frames and bending the plastic raised a HUGE blister on my left index finger. It took about a week before I could adjust frames properly again :hammer:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Accidentally ordered hubbys rx in wifes frame and vice versa. They were really cool and actually enjoyed wearing each others specs until the correct ones came in. They still give me crap about it when they see me.

Thread Information