Thread: PALs for Monocular

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist

PALs for Monocular

Which PALs suitable monocular patient,do the soft design like Vx.Panamic, Vx .Physio 360, or Multigressive ILT or even Individual PALs,? Does anyone can give me some comment or any suggestion?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If functional eye is good has good acutiy, near and far, good retina etc, any pal will work, in theory the better it is the better it will function.
    However if this is a monocular patient with subnormal vision (doesn't have good acuity for any reason) don't use a pal. Use a lined product!
    Such people need all the vision they can get, and despite the many proponants of pals on this board and with the various lens manufacturers vision with a lined product is better.

Chip\:cheers:

Occupation
    Optometrist
    How bout the patient insist to Have A Pair of PALs?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I have a lot of clients who have no vision in one eye, and work very well with PALs.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is your job providing the best vision and advise for the patient or doing what the patient wants. Trust me if this patient has glauchoma, macular degeneration, or any similar condition, he will see a whole lot better with a line type bifocal.
    If the remaining eye is "normal" and he lost the other by accident, then a Pal will probably be O.K. The question of Pal suitablility has to do with the condition of the seeing eye as it always does. Has nothing to do with monocularity, except that such people often have subnormal vision in the remaining eye. Often the condition that caused the loss of one eye effected the remaining eye but was not as severe.
    All PALs have a certian amount of inherent distortion and abberration if the patient has acuity problems, the PAL will add to this.

Chip:cheers:

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    While I agree with Chip, I also have been in the position of having a functionally monocular patient tell me "NO WAY will I ever have a line!"

The best progressive for folks like that is one with a wide corridor and a wide horizon in the distance. I'd probably go with something like a Zeiss GT2 mounted with the fitting cross about 2mm below the BASE of the pupil (about 6mm below the pupil center) and a minimum fitting height of 19 or 20.

As Chip says, the patient will get much better vision from a lined lens. But if this is what you need to do to balance the patient's visual and psychological needs, that's my suggestion.

Good luck!
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    1.Vx. Physio 360
    2.iD lifestyle :D
    3. ILT
    :bbg:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    wasan, give us the Rx of the pt. !

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm amblyopic and have tried many PALs. You want to find something that has good peripheral clarity and relatively wide reading zone. I haven't tried everything but did NOT like Vx Panamic or Physio (I'm not hammering Essilor here, just offering my personal experience). My lens of choice now is Piccolo and I did fairly well with the GT2.

Although I haven't yet tried any, the Free Form designs are intriguing in that they will clearly offer a wider reading area simply because the design is closer to the eye. If these also offer the type of peripheral vision that the mfg's tout, this would undoubtedly be the way to go. Your patient will be willing to pony up for these more expensive lenses so that he/she can have the best vision possible. Plus, you may need to only order a half pair, so the price may not be much of a factor anyway.

Thread Information