Thread: Distortion in a pair of plano dist. 35mm flat tops

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Crier Distortion in a pair of plano dist. 35mm flat tops

I can't believe I'm asking this but, I have to ask this- I have a client who's complaining about distortion and reduced VA with her new pair of plano distance 35mm flat-tops which replaced in the same frame the same RX with the same everything less the scratches in her old ones. I've clocked them, calipered them, checked them over every which way from Sunday and in every single respect they are exactly the same. I put her old ones back into her frame and she claims perfection. Is there something my worn-out old -holiday-craving brain and eyes are missing here? There is NO warpage, the thickness is the same, and they register correctly plano on the lensometer.

I need a holiday. One more week, just ONE MORE WEEK!!!!!!!!!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would read the old, and clock them to look for any warpage which may be inducing some power. If not, it looked like a full moon last night, Keep the glasses, put them in the spectrophotometer optics evaluator overnight, and return them and see if that helps.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    I would read the old, and clock them to look for any warpage which may be inducing some power. If not, it looked like a full moon last night, Keep the glasses, put them in the spectrophotometer optics evaluator overnight, and return them and see if that helps.
    Been to all those places and done all those helpful hints (including the Magic Drawer). I should mention, I've been making this lady's glasses for many many years and never has she ever had a complaint and she isn't the kind to make frivolous trivialities- she's very matter-of-fact and hate to say it this way, but, well, very 'normal'.

Banned
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy K View Post
    Been to all those places and done all those helpful hints (including the Magic Drawer). I should mention, I've been making this lady's glasses for many many years and never has she ever had a complaint and she isn't the kind to make frivolous trivialities- she's very matter-of-fact and hate to say it this way, but, well, very 'normal'.
    Hold them at arms length towards a window or light. They are probably wavy or bad surface. Have them remade is what you should do. Look for the distortion first.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Put them in hot water? If is a warp, it may come out. Maybe not. Could be a surfacing wave. Had one kinda like this recently. Wouldn't have believed if I hadn't heard in on Optiboard. Just remake them.

Oh, try them not mounted. Maybe some distortion from the mounting if not edged exact.

If she has less add than a 2.00, try ordering w/ a -0.12 distance. She will like it.

Were her old ones spot on plano?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is easy...

Her "old, duplicated" Rx has obviously......expired!"

Or...what material are the new lenses...poly??

Or....she needs to be re-refracted, or "flipped", if you have them handy..

FWIW

Barry

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Doesn't anyone hold spectacles at arms lenght and move them around and look for distortions anymore. If you know what you are doin' it will show you distortions a lensometer never dreamed of.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Doesn't anyone hold spectacles at arms lenght and move them around and look for distortions anymore. If you know what you are doin' it will show you distortions a lensometer never dreamed of.

Chip
    Right on, Chip! A integral part of my lens inspection is to hold every lens about 6-8 inches away from my eye, and then move it back/forth, up & down while I'm looking at some printed text on my desk. Any subtle distortions or waves will be immediately apparent.

FWIW

Barry

Banned
    Occupation
    Yea! You tell 'em Chip!:cheers:

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fo' myself, I holds the frame/lenses as far away as I can, and wiggles it a bit.

Then if we really want's to git serious we could bring back the Modern Arc, of course none of our plastic lenses would pass this.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Then if we really want's to git serious we could bring back the Modern Arc, of course none of our plastic lenses would pass this.

ughhhh..The Modern Arc?.....

Could you elp me out here?

Barry

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Barry: Basicly a carbon arc projector, brain child of my ex employer, Virgil Hancock. Modern Optics (later bought out by Suron/Textron) . Revealed flaws in material and optics at a killer pace. Very few manufactures could produce lenses that would pass same at a profit.
    For a little while (1959=1960) it was being used to inspect PMMA contacts also, one had to spend a lot of overtime to get lenses out that would pass.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just wanted to say thanx to all who voiced their opinions here! Difficulty was resolved, and it wasn't the lenses after all that: it was her failing to tell me that she really didn't wear the stronger add lenses all that often but wore her old rx (+1.50 add) much more and she was trying to see the ground thru the seg in the new ones. How elementary, huh? I'd thought we'd established that, but 'twasn't the case. I thought I was losing my marbles but I guess I just need that holiday that's staring me in the face next week!

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "I'll take the history, any senior medical student can take the physical."

Dr. Charles Mayo, M.D.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm glad you figured it out. It sounds like she wasn't clear at all about what was bothering her.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

richard Smith

Hi There, your problem is a change of manufacturer of the semi-finished. I have often encountered wearers who cannot tolerate Sola lenses but can Signet Armorlite lenses. No idea why, but for sure it seems to make a difference. Hope this helps, try to discover what your supplier shipped/used originally, and go back to that. Bet they swapped suppliers!

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I think Chip and Gem nailed it on the head! I'll bet it's a wave. We used to get these all the time with plano and low RX's. Richard, I have never heard of any one having issues switching from one supplier to another in regards to S.V. or lined multi-focals. I can see switching from one P.A.L. design to another but I don't see how someone would notice a difference in performance between a spherical Signet lens and a Sola lens. Unless it's one of those cheepies that use flat curves instead of aspherics or higher index materials.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Barry: Basicly a carbon arc projector, brain child of my ex employer, Virgil Hancock. Modern Optics (later bought out by Suron/Textron) . Revealed flaws in material and optics at a killer pace. Very few manufactures could produce lenses that would pass same at a profit.
    For a little while (1959=1960) it was being used to inspect PMMA contacts also, one had to spend a lot of overtime to get lenses out that would pass.
    Chip
    Thanks, Chip!

Barrs

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As others have stated, check to see if the lens is warped by being too thin or too much pressure being put on them via the mounting. Also some ST35's have a larger amount of coating sling-off on the front ledge of the lens. The lenses are spun coated and can have some distortion right above the ledge. Hope this helps. Gary

Banned
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy K View Post
    Just wanted to say thanx to all who voiced their opinions here! Difficulty was resolved, and it wasn't the lenses after all that: it was her failing to tell me that she really didn't wear the stronger add lenses all that often but wore her old rx (+1.50 add) much more and she was trying to see the ground thru the seg in the new ones. How elementary, huh? I'd thought we'd established that, but 'twasn't the case. I thought I was losing my marbles but I guess I just need that holiday that's staring me in the face next week!
    Problem Solved!

Thread Information