Thread: Percieved dishonesty

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Percieved dishonesty

Here is the scenario a few days ago. First time patient but prior contact lens wearer glasses are current. Had exam and follow up and now time to order contacts.

Me: Mr. S, do you normally order a year's supply of contacts at one time or would you like a smaller supply to start out with?

Mr. S: I just want my prescription.

Me: I am writing that up for you right now. Mr. S, you have vision insurance to cover four boxes of contacts and the contact lens fitting and evaluation fee, would you like to use your benefits?

Mr. S: No, I just want my prescription and I'm going to Costco where it's cheaper.

Me: Mr. S, we are an in network provider and they are not. You will not get reimbursed the whole benefit amount and you will be responsible for your contact lens fitting and evaluation fee. To be honest Mr. S you are welcome to take your presription anywhere you like but I am trying to help you get your best value for your insurance benefits. This will cost you nothing out of pocket.

Mr. S: I don't care.

Me: Alright Mr. S here is your prescription and the contact lens fitting and evaluation fee is $$ payable today. Thank you.

And off he went. It then dawned on me that he thought we were trying to rip him off and make a buck. I truely was trying to help him. I get this feeling more and more often and I would never rip anyone off. Is this a trend lately or am I just getting old?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    He is a price sensitive person. They will shop where ever they feel they can get the best deal. I decided a while back to say goodbye to those people and move on.

Next time he will go to Wal-Mart then Sam's Club and then Sears.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    A lot of these people have been brainwashed into thinking that the doctor/independent optician are the most expensive out there. The chains actively promote this concept.

digression: there was an ad on the radio around here a few years ago that went something like this - "Ouch...." "what?" "Just looking at my bill for my new glasses" "Oh no! you didn't get them from the place they check your eyes, did you?" etc.....

Some of these people won't use their benefits to get them the best product, they will go for what had the lowest cost regardless of who paid it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mr. S: No, I just want my prescription and I'm going to Costco where it's cheaper.
    Its all about perceived value. XXX optical will give me 30% off for AARP. Well, 30% off of what?? Its all a coin flip, some will catch on, some won't. Do what I do, have a :cheers:

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

another angle

Ive seen people come in to scam 3rd party reimbursement. They buy glasses and ask for different dated multiple receipts or even phony itemized statements so they can get reimbursed for something they didnt buy. I look at most eye insurances as scams anyway. VSP is designed to protect doctor from chains and all it did was hurt the independent Opticians.

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Many of the vision plans actively promote the private doctor as almost unaffordable without the great savings offered by their plan. And coming full circle, private ODs would not have to jack up their prices to maintain a modest profit if it wasn't for the heavy discounts vision plans "require." The only one who looks bad is the doctor. Vision plans come off looking like the saviors. Somewhat circular, sad. Its a shame more of these companies aren't trashed to a greater extent.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Our "preceived dishonesty"

We get this reputation because: We have a "captive market", and since self referral has become the norm patient's feel trapped in it. Since bait n' switch addes are not uncommon in our industry, it ain't helping our industry. Even selling up for whatever rationalization doesn't enhance the industry's appearance. All of the advertising gives the preception that that everyone is charging too much and the advertiser is chearper and better. Many even advertise two pairs for more than we sell a single lens for.
    What's the public supposed to think.

Cheer up it could be worse, we could be selling used cars. Or if we can't take it anymore we could sell golf clubs where the profits are much better and the public thinks "it's a bargain and worth every penny."

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    We get this reputation because: We have a "captive market", and since self referral has become the norm patient's feel trapped in it. Since bait n' switch addes are not uncommon in our industry, it ain't helping our industry. Even selling up for whatever rationalization doesn't enhance the industry's appearance. All of the advertising gives the preception that that everyone is charging too much and the advertiser is chearper and better. Many even advertise two pairs for more than we sell a single lens for.

Cheer up it could be worse, we could be selling used cars. Or if we can't take it anymore we could sell golf clubs where the profits are much better and the public thinks "it's a bargain and worth every penny."

Chip
    Yep, ain't that the truth. I even had a gentleman in the other day with an Rx for bifocals for his wife (guess she doesn't get to make decisions). He wanted a price quote on progressives and a "cheap" frame. Since he was price conscious I gave him our lowest quote on a basic lens and low end frame. He said XXX optical is advertising two pair for $$ so he thought he would go there instead. I said, well I can't imagine what they would be using at that price, I hope she will be able to see out of them. So yes, advertising leads the consumer to believe that cheaper is better. It's sad but it preys on the..ahem, less intelligent population. Much like the sub-prime mortgages and the rent to owns and the cash your paycheck before you even have one industrys. Perhaps golf clubs may be the way to go. I know nothing but I can BS pretty good when I need to.

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post

Chip

I like cars, there are times, like coco, when all I'm trying to do is maximize a patient's benefit and I get treated like a used car salesman I think maybe I should just go sell cars.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by k12311997 View Post
    I like cars, there are times, like coco, when all I'm trying to do is maximize a patient's benefit and I get treated like a used car salesman I think maybe I should just go sell cars.

So what's wrong with car salesmen? Many that I see dressand act much more professional than a large number of us in the eyecare business...
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    It dopesn't help when the consumer reports all call us cheats and liars.

"Be aware the person you talk to at the chain store is a salesperson whose job is not only to help you, but help you spend the most money."

From a recent article in my local paper Baltimore Sun http://www.baltimoresun.com/business...3.story?page=1

I think it's funny when I have the insurance salesman come in and try to cry about the price and that we are ripping them off. I usually respond with a quip about the insurance industry being such a bargain in relation to the glasses they get from us that they should have sold themselves a policy. (that's usually when they realize that the only reason they didn't get themselves an insurance policy that covers vision, was because it was a rip off; even had one tell me that)
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    So what's wrong with car salesmen? Many that I see dressand act much more professional than a large number of us in the eyecare business...
    actually I'm refering to the stigma that is attatched to used car sales people. as to car sales people in general, I've never purchased high end, I've only purchased three new cars, and never a used car from a dealership, two used cars from private owners. In every case of dealing with the dealership I have known more about the cars I'm looking at that the salesman. In optics I hope that part of the reason people choose our office is my knowledge. If I had to be impressed by a car salesmans knowledge or believe that there really was an advantaged to the leather wraped hood release knob I would probably never buy a car.

OptiBoard Professional bren_03825's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post

Me: Mr. S, we are an in network provider and they are not. You will not get reimbursed the whole benefit amount and you will be responsible for your contact lens fitting and evaluation fee. To be honest Mr. S you are welcome to take your presription anywhere you like but I am trying to help you get your best value for your insurance benefits. This will cost you nothing out of pocket.

Mr. S: I don't care.

Me: Alright Mr. S here is your prescription and the contact lens fitting and evaluation fee is $$ payable today. Thank you.

And off he went. It then dawned on me that he thought we were trying to rip him off and make a buck. I truely was trying to help him. I get this feeling more and more often and I would never rip anyone off. Is this a trend lately or am I just getting old?
    This is the patient that I tell to go. I won't say where (joking), but I am happy to see leave. Either he will learn, or he won't, next person please.
    :cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

percieved

Crazy how the Field of vision has turned , No pun intended. people seemed confused, Boy I hate being treated like a car salesman, Don't get me wrong, they are the ones to go too when you need a new buddy.

Aww the beautiful people......

Thread Information