Thread: Did they used contact lenses in the Constantine Movie or computer special effects

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Did they used contact lenses in the Constantine Movie or computer special effects

Hi, i have reached this forum in my quest for answering a question related to your profession, hope you find it a fun one. In the movie Constantine there is an scene where the main character enters in Papa Midnight's bar. Some female vampires are around a table and when the look to the camera the tapetum lucidum effect is seen in their eyes. As you know tapetum lucidum is a reflective layer found in mmamals like cats that help them to gather most of the light available so they can move and hunt in dark conditions. Here is a link to a screenshot of the scene
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...nstantine3.jpg

Now my question is.
    Did they really designed contact lenses to get the tapetum lucidum effect for the movie. Or did they used post production computer effects. I find hardly possible the first option because the reflective layer should be placed on the pupil, not on the iris. It is not like those colored contact lenses that only make up the iris. And if some kind of material reflects light to create the tapetum lucidum effect, by definition, the same light cannot pass throught the layer and the pupil.

Wht do you think.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by pekingu View Post
    Hi, i have reached this forum in my quest for answering a question related to your profession, hope you find it a fun one. In the movie Constantine there is an scene where the main character enters in Papa Midnight's bar. Some female vampires are around a table and when the look to the camera the tapetum lucidum effect is seen in their eyes. As you know tapetum lucidum is a reflective layer found in mmamals like cats that help them to gather most of the light available so they can move and hunt in dark conditions. Here is a link to a screenshot of the scene
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...nstantine3.jpg

Now my question is.
    Did they really designed contact lenses to get the tapetum lucidum effect for the movie. Or did they used post production computer effects. I find hardly possible the first option because the reflective layer should be placed on the pupil, not on the iris. It is not like those colored contact lenses that only make up the iris. And if some kind of material reflects light to create the tapetum lucidum effect, by definition, the same light cannot pass throught the layer and the pupil.

Wht do you think.
    My guess would be computer graphics. Doing that to eyes is old hat nowadays.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Thread Information