Thread: State Leadership meeting announcement

OptiBoard Novice

State Leadership meeting announcement

Dear Opticianry State Association Leader:

I'm pleased to inform you that there will be a state leadership meeting this coming year. OAA has asked Tom Hicks, Jim Slightom and I to co-chair the state leadership conference. Our group will likely expand by 3 or 4 people in the next week or so, but for right now, we're beginning the planning. The location of the meeting will be Charleston, South Carolina. The tentative time
    of the meeting will be Jan 18, 19 or Feb 1,2. We’ll have a definite date for you in about 3 weeks.

Many of us (including me) have been disappointed with our profession and OAA's leadership for a long time. The time of disappointment is over and it's now time for action. At this coming meeting we will focus on three specific areas; basic training for new board members, programs needed by experienced
    state leaders, and a forum to discuss how we are going to address the problems of our profession and our national organization, OAA. In my opinion, this may be the most important state leadership meeting we've ever had... or will ever have for some time. I'm sure you are aware of the dire position OAA is in and how our profession has lagged behind in gaining the recognition it deserves. It's time to do something about all this and the state leadership meeting will play a large role in shaping how this will be done.

I urge you to do what you can to attend this coming state leadership meeting. Our committee will create the framework for you to develop the ideas to affect the kind of change our profession needs, but you'll need to be there to do that. In the next few weeks the committee will be developing the program and will keep in contact with you via e-mail and posting on the
    wwoptiboard, oaa website, and other web media. We've given you at least 7 months notice of the meeting so you can start planning now.

Our profession has many issues to resolve and the time has come to resolve them or move on. Our committee will do its part to provide you a first class leadership meeting and facilitate the dialogue needed to make change begin. I hope you'll join us to help begin putting opticianry back on the right track.

Ed De Gennaro

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Welcome to OptiBoard Ed!

This sounds like a great idea and fits into several discussions that are now taking place in the General Discussion Forum. I encourage everyone to let Ed know your feelings on the subject. We have an opportunity to improve the Opticianry profession. Let's not squander it!

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

OptiBoard Novice
    Originally posted by Steve Machol
    Welcome to OptiBoard Ed!

This sounds like a great idea and fits into several discussions that are now taking place in the General Discussion Forum. I encourage everyone to let Ed know your feelings on the subject. We have an opportunity to improve the Opticianry profession. Let's not squander it!

Steve:

If you think this should be in the general forum area, please place it there.

Ed D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

To: eddege

This is indeed a special moment, Ed. It's 4 AM!
    Can't think of a better time to say welcome.
    Your presence also starts to close a big gap, and I thank you for that.
    Personally, I look forward to meeting you and getting to know the OAA a lot better. I know your contribution will make a big difference. You are well respected.

Let me just say there's a lot of folks who want to see opticianry respositioned and strengthened. And, I predict that someday what we are trying to pull together will be a valuable assist to OAA in bringing opticianry farther into the marketplace. There's a lot of "fronts" on which that "reengineering" needs to be done, and optical skills set aside, lots of us have some other needed skills that could well be applied. So, I'd like to contribute mine and am moving in that direction . . . I make a great lobster bisque!

Here's looking forward to developing a great relationship.
    I'm going back to bed. (All I wanted to do was go get a drink of water, etc. and this "d - - - - d computer pulls me to the Optiboard. This has got to stop!)

:cheers:

OptiBoard Novice

Re: To: eddege

Originally posted by Alan W
    This is indeed a special moment, Ed. It's 4 AM!
    Can't think of a better time to say welcome.
    Your presence also starts to close a big gap, and I thank you for that.
    Personally, I look forward to meeting you and getting to know the OAA a lot better. I know your contribution will make a big difference. You are well respected.

Let me just say there's a lot of folks who want to see opticianry respositioned and strengthened. And, I predict that someday what we are trying to pull together will be a valuable assist to OAA in bringing opticianry farther into the marketplace. There's a lot of "fronts" on which that "reengineering" needs to be done, and optical skills set aside, lots of us have some other needed skills that could well be applied. So, I'd like to contribute mine and am moving in that direction . . . I make a great lobster bisque!

Here's looking forward to developing a great relationship.
    I'm going back to bed. (All I wanted to do was go get a drink of water, etc. and this "d - - - - d computer pulls me to the Optiboard. This has got to stop!)

:cheers:
    Couldn't agree with you more. I welcome your contributions and cooperation. We're going to need quite a bit of it during the next year or so as we put the pieces in place.

Ya gotta get a grip on this optiboard thing (LOL).

Ed D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

To: Ed

Yes, Ed. You're so right.
    It's getting pretty bad.
    I tried to join a support group last week just to break loose.
    It was awful.
    They all made me stay after the meeting and adjust their glasses.
    I can't take it any more.
    Help me . . .
    Help me . . .

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

Hi Ed!! So glad to see you on here. Finally someone I have actually met is on here. I agree with you on many points you have made. I love this profession but must say I am extremely disappointed on many areas of it. By the way I thought your cl review course for the TDOA in Nashville was great. Keep up the good work.

Steph

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    All of us in state leadership positions in PA are thankful that we have been given significant advance notice for the leadership conference in early 2002. It gives us significant time to budget, plan and review any proposed agendas to strengthing the,
    national organization and our internal organization.

If you are not currently a member of your state organization or the OAA please join both organizations as soon as possible so we all can make a difference for all of our futures. State associations are front line advocates.

I take seriously what is posted in this forum and know through experience that there are proper channels to shape tommorrow. It is very easy to critize. However legislative issues are not as easy as some think. We need to be united and tolerant that there is a big picture out there. Let us all step out of the box together and think about tommorow. It isn't a easy task or a quick solution. However I have faith as a forum of change in the context of our democracy a democratic way can be acomplished.

We are all one regardless where we practice. It is time to form a cohesive bond or face the consequences.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

To: Bev

I can think of nothing I'd rather see happen for opticianry than see the work of State Orgs and OAA accomplish their goals.

If I could do what I would love to do single-handedly, it would be to get thousands of consumers to pick up their phones or email their legislative representatives and tell them to listen up and act to enact!

And, that must be done. While State orgs and OAA will work in the legislative houses, I hope to see IOC work to drive consumer influence from outside the capitol grounds. . . in the marketplace. And, maybe even true to its namesake, Internationally, someday.
    Right now, it has internal development to accomplish. It's a time factor.

As you said, it's a very big picture. And, no one group can do it all without some help. Until that happens, as Scotty from Star Trek would say, "we need more power, Cap'n". It's coming. One way or t'uther, it's coming.

Anyone reading this . . . join your state org and OAA . .. right now!

Too much time has gone by with minimal support. Bev and all those folks involved in OAA and State organizations are not doing this for their health and certainly not for big fat paychecks. They are doing this to make opticianry survive and fluorish. Your professional survival depends on your participation. Let's make it happen.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Alan,
    I agree why not have IOC be the marketing arm?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Seems that Ed, Bev, Alan all agree, me too, me too!

Strong state societies can make a strong OAA. A strong OAA can make a difference - like supporting, encouraging and promoting an idea never before heard of - MARKETING.

The IOC with the support of OAA and all of us and all of the people we know could promote opticianry beyond present recognition!

Let's go for it!

P.S. Thanks for your support of OAA and State Socities, Alan!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

To Bev: Re: IOC Marketing Arm

While I am not at liberty to speak about IOC's mission and objectives, which are not set, I think I can safely say that everyone interested wants to see it as a positive contribution to the goals of opticianry. And, those goals seem to be illustrated largely through the functions of the organizations now in place.

I certainly don't see IOC replacing any organizations.
    In fact, I personally think that would be counterproductive.

As for the "marketing arm function . . ."
    That would be nice!
    :hammer:

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The IOC with the support of OAA and all of us and all of the people we know could promote opticianry beyond present recognition!
    You got me hooked on this one Homer! You are correct. The only way we are going to change opticianry for the better is if more of us get involved. One good way to do that is to join the organizations that are fighting to get and keep Opticians recognized and regulated as professionals in the health care community. We need to take our levels of involvement and concern a step beyond OptiBoard and make contributions to our state and national organizations. If we don't like the way things are currently being run in those organizations, than that is all the more reason to join them. I have to add to that; to join them and to make as much of an active contribution to them as possible. Dues will help these organizations but involvement will make a big difference. You can't create a change if you don't go to the meetings.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OAA State Leadership Conference is slated for Feb. 1-2 in Charlestown, SC. Hotel to be announced shortly. Our board of directors is planning to attend now. Mark your calenders!

Thread Information