Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How does your office handle requests for measurements for online purchases?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jjm_1965 View Post
    I'll add that to my office. Maybe I should get a Ryobi laser level to make sure glasses are not crooked.:idea:
    Already have one, thanks.:D

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    already have one, thanks.:d
    lol:D
    -Jim M.
    CT Licensed Optician, ABOC, NCLEC, FNAO, HFOAA

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Last year I developed a formula for all glasses.

This is what you want to do. Take the height and the weight of the person. Convert the weight and height into metric (do not worry about it, we can convert it for you). Then take half the B and add the differential between the weight and height of the person divided by 45.2.

The results have been AMAZING. The sales just fly through the door. Of course, I have no idea if people can see or not, because I am offshore and only plan to be in business for a couple of years, or else the FBI will find me.

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Call

You want PD call 911:D

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I dont see why all the agonizing over this.If you dont want to release the pd,dont do it. If the person doesnt like it too bad.

I dont know of any other industry where trained professionals will provide a service for free so someone can use that information to purchase a product cheaper elsewhere.

Can you imagine going to a service garage and asking them to diagnose a check engine light for free, so you can go down the street to get it repaired for less?...This takes about 2 minutes to do with a code reader.

If you want to take the pd and charge for it then do that.This doesnt mean that you are responsible for glasses that dont work.

This insecurity about charging for services in this industry is nuts!

There is always going to be someone who doesnt want to pay.Let them go elsewhere.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kws6000 View Post
    Amen!
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Amen!...........................

Originally Posted by kws6000

Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Amen!

All it takes is a visible sign for professional charges not included in sale price:

PD Measurement $ 25.00
    (full refund included at time of purchase of a pair of glasses in this store)

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    All it takes is a visible sign for professional charges not included in sale price:

PD Measurement $ 25.00
    (full refund included at time of purchase of a pair of glasses in this store)
    You're too cheap !! I charge $35 for PD, $50 to verify Rx, $50 to help select frame, $65 to fit.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had a customer call yesterday insisting that she be given her PD over the phone. I work at an optical shop (not a Dr. office). She said that I am required by Federal Law to release this information to her. It is my understanding that the Federal Law requires the prescriber to release the prescription. I do not want to be held responsible for glasses made by "optical.com". My state board told me that I am not required to give this information and to refer the patient to their prescriber. I need to know if anyone knows the bottom line on the requirement of Opticians to give out this information.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by KarenD View Post
    My state board told me that I am not required to give this information and to refer the patient to their prescriber.
    There's your answer...

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's nice to see you posting again, Karen!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Do you have to be required to do something that requires a minisue amount of your time and no effort?
    If I got paid for everything I do for people during that's not required my shop would be so far in the black I wouldn't notice the recession/depression for another decade.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I dont give them out period...................:angry:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Do you have to be required to do something that requires a minisue amount of your time and no effort?
    If I got paid for everything I do for people during that's not required my shop would be so far in the black I wouldn't notice the recession/depression for another decade.

Chip
    Chip, isn't that the point. I am not required to charge for eyeglasses, but I do. When did we all forget we are running a business, and unlike the government, or the banks;), we need to make a profit for our services, as we get no bail out.

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Give them....

A PD ruler so they can take their own. Maybe we should start having PD parties.
    The crap some of you people worry about.:hammer:

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    One patient's PD is 60

He got 2 pairs of eyeglasses

1 size 52/18 PD R 28 L 32
    2 size 54/16 PD R 29 L 31

If PD varies upon size of the nosebridge and where the frames are sitting.
    How can anyone sell online just having the total PD?
    Or opticians assume that people who order online have straight noses and symmetrical faces.
    Last edited by Leyend; 02-09-2009 at 04:10 AM.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper but can offer a good after service which online can not.............

Quote Originally Posted by Bill West View Post
    A PD ruler so they can take their own. Maybe we should start having PD parties. The crap some of you people worry about.:hammer:
    I have been saying on other threads..............tell them that you can also compete with on-line outfits by selling discontinued frames and CR39 uncoated lenses. Do your own lens treatments and stay away form the bell and whistle lenses and AR coatings.................but can offer a good after service which online can not.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I was rechecking the Sunday paper last night and seen one optical that has the on-line places beat. $69.95 for 2 pairs of single vision (CR-39, disco frames??), PD measured, fitted, scratch coated and all in what should be under 2 hours.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Leyend View Post
    How can anyone sell online just having the total PD?
    Or opticians assume that people who order online have straight noses and symmetrical faces.
    Further, how can any *doctor* recommend (prescribe?) OTC readers for any of their clients?

Disconnects for me:

1. PD *is* symetrical
    2. Small anisometropic and astigmatic Rxs are very often recommended for OTCs by the "prescribers". "Don't spend money on real, RX eyeglasses. Get the cheap readers, instead! They'll do fine!" (If you ever get an Rx bounce-back from an office that does this, shoot them!)

For me, either OTCs are fine, and no exam is really needed...or they're not!

Our industry attitude with respect to this (OTCs) is very, very inconsistent, IMHO.

FWIW

Barry
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 02-09-2009 at 04:00 PM.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My main complaint with OTC's is:
    They have oversized screws that are seldom used except to replace OTC screws which come out because the the ChiComs are too lazy to peen them.
    While I do replace screw and adjust OTC's when possible for free, hopefully with a smile. I wish they would peen the damn screws.
    Appearently my "valuable time" isn't as valuable as it used to be
    but I do have other things to do.

Chip

Occupation
    Optometrist

Chip
    Chip,this is why you will have to keep working until someone finds you cold and stiff in your store !

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If that's why, I'm damn proud of it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    www.zennioptical.com says this under the help button next to the place you enter your PD:

PUPILLARY DISTANCE

The PD or Pupillary Distance is the distance between your two eyes , center to center, the center of one pupil to the center of the other, in Millimeters.(1”= 25.4mm). Unfortunately most optometrists leave this quite necessary measurement off from your prescription, but you can measure this yourself.

You can measure this yourself in a mirror(not very accurate, and not generally recommended) or have a friend measure it for you by holding a ruler just under the pupils of your eyes and measuring the distance center to center. You should be looking straight forward fixing your focus at distant object, and not at the person measuring you.

Average is about 62mm, and most, 97% or so, fall within 54 to 74 range. If you are coming up with a number outside of this range consider that you might be making a measurement mistake.Do NOT just guess,or assume you're just an average 62,and DO NOT measure your old glasses to try to come with this number,.

Sometimes a prescription has two numbers, written such as PD 65/62 usually written on a bi-focal prescription. This means that 65 is your distance vision PD, and the one to be entered on our forms. And 62 is the reading or near vision PD, the one to be used only if you are ordering a plain reading glass only.
    Occasionally a PD is written as ,for example, 32/34.5 which are the mesurements from the center of the nose to either eye, and your PD is the sum of the two, 32+34.5=66.5 and you can enter this as 66 or 67 it does not really matter.
    If you are off by a millimeter or two it really does not matter, but try to be as accurate as you can especially for progressive prescription glasses
    You should also be able to get your PD from your previous eyeglass supplier, this figure does not expire with age,they have to give it to you by federal law as well as your full prescription, it is your property.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm really courious about the posting on this that says the PD is different from frame to frame? What's up with that?

Chip

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm really courious about the posting on this that says the PD is different from frame to frame? What's up with that?

Chip
    I chalked it up to confusion....

Thread Information