Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How does your office handle requests for measurements for online purchases?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

How does your office handle requests for measurements for online purchases?

Our office has seen an increase in requests for us to take pd's so that the patient can then purchase glasses online. So far, our policy has been to deny the request for liability reasons. Any feedback on what other offices do would be appreciated.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    $79.00, why deny?

Banned
    Occupation
    Please bring them in for the 79 dollar ajustment too.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Couldn't agree more. I only charge $50.00, but let's face without our PD they are getting anything.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Here in Massachusetts, pd is supposed to be routinely put on the prescription, it's in our board rules. Don't know what connecticut says.

We haven't had anyone request internet measurements in over a year. If we did the Rx we do the PD.

But we will do nothing beyond the PD because we don't want to have to waste our time verifying glasses from an outside source.

Harry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a lot of patients from India. They all take their Rx and want the PD also. They are very apologetic about it. I don't really care since if they ever do buy anything here it's always the bare minimum anyway. I will check and adjust the glasses for them. They are my patients and they do come back for an exam every year and bring the entire family. That's good revenue.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    I would not do it for liability reasons, and that alone. If they are looking at buying online I have lost this sale. Most likely, if they were not looking online, I would have lost the sale anyways, because the store is not a low end price bargain place. If you want that, go to Wal-Mart. I understand a person's desire to save money, and that is fine. So I am not bitter toward the purchase.

Back to the subject and liability. People tend to not want to be responsible for their mistakes. Joe Blow goes to Wepayyoutomakeyourglasses.com and buys a piece of junk. Blowy Joe receives his glasses and cannot see out of them. The website says that it made everything to what Joey Blowy asked for, so now JB goes to you and blames you for the measurements.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

internet

The website says that it made everything to what Joey Blowy asked for, so now JB goes to you and blames you for the measurements.
    I agree, I will not be put in the position of who did what wrong.
    Exception is a PD for safety Rx, and only if I made them eyewear in the past.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by gemstone View Post
    Please bring them in for the 79 dollar ajustment too.
    Is this $79 fee your office fee for releasing a PD?
    Or is this a law of some sort. I always thought that PD is part of the prescription. But I have never had a patient request a PD for internet purchases.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think in Texas the PD is part of the prescription. I take it and write a mono PD on the rx.

I have had a woman come in twice now and ask me to measure progressive heights on several frames. Her daughter is a frame rep but lives out of town. She gets her exam here and got some glasses here many years ago. She always waits for me, too. I do it, but it bugs me.

Occupation
    I never got how the PD was considered apart of the RX.

Opticians take it, and are supposed to take it all of the time, not ODs.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Personally I HATE giving out PD cos i feel like i'm taking responsibility... so I tell the patient that i'll give it to them... and that I'm not responsible for verifying and/or creation of the glasses. If I didn't make the glasses right I accept no responsiblity. I tell them that and I've been pondering making them sign a waver just so that I'm not held liable for an incorrect pair of glasses. Maybe it's jerkish for me to do that, but in this day and age, we have to COA (Cover our a$$es)
    Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to :bbg:

Occupation
    Honestly, I do not think all of the waivers in the World cannot remove the blame from our sholders when dealing with idiots. And those who buy their glasses online are the textbook definition of idiot.

Waivers are not as legally binding as we may think.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What makes you think that all eyeglasses made online a crap. Lots of the optometrist sell eyeglasses online. Are you saying the only good optometrists are the ones selling from stores and all optometrists selling online are no good.

Now there is a good libel .....sorry.... liability question.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by coupe View Post
    What makes you think that all eyeglasses made online a crap. Lots of the optometrist sell eyeglasses online. Are you saying the only good optometrists are the ones selling from stores and all optometrists selling online are no good.

Yes I would

ALL glasses should be measured and fitted in person, and all good fitters will do this process themselves.

Anyone who sells glasses online should never be able to touch a pair of glasses with the exception of their own ever again. Probably some jail time too.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I posted these similar thoughts about *stickonbifocals*

For me, I'm glad the public has a choice between on-line and in store.

Those who are happy/satisfied with online Rx eyewear...GREAT!

Those who experience this and are not happy/satisfied...

are mine (and yours)...and will never go back to that way of purchasing eyewear!

What could be better, I ask?

Barry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    I think in Texas the PD is part of the prescription. I take it and write a mono PD on the rx.

I have had a woman come in twice now and ask me to measure progressive heights on several frames. Her daughter is a frame rep but lives out of town. She gets her exam here and got some glasses here many years ago. She always waits for me, too. I do it, but it bugs me.

Now THAT I would not do.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by coupe

Our doctor went to some convention a while back and we she returned she thought that making and selling glasses online was the next thing to sliced bread. In reality I explained that I would leave and bad mouth the business if she ever even considered that, and her response was very upset with me, but when I explained that she was supposed to have the patinets best interests at heart it quickly ended the conversation. For the doctors that are selling glasses online shame on you.

Here is a prime example of a "Doctor" who sells glasses online:
    http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...hlight=crystal

didn't take long for this idiot to stop posting. Hopefully it won't take long before eyeglasses are not allowed to be sold online.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

wow

Here is a prime example of a "Doctor" who sells glasses online:
    http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...hlight=crystal
    and I got bashed for not matching the price of this finely crafted and expertly fit eyewear.

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I think all you opticians can be a bit more settled knowing the vast majority of optometrists feel online sales of eyewear is a disturbing trend that leads to lots of patient problems. We are in total agreement here.

Legally, informed consent forms or waivers don't do much good. But it may make the patient feel the issue is slightly more important than they can realize. One of those, "sit back and think of what I'm doing" type moments. Although I'm sure most have their minds made up at that point.

I think a lot would depend on who it was, long established patient with family, or coming in off the street randomly. A fee should be acceptable and standard for someone coming in with an outside prescription, trying on your frames, and then asking for a PD.

Someone want to pm me a list of all these online optometrists? I'd hate to even slightly promote them by listing them publicly.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    and I got bashed for not matching the price of this finely crafted and expertly fit eyewear.
    Yeah you did. The fact of the matter is in that thread you could run the business either way Discounts or No Discounts and still be sucessful. We discount in our office and at times I wish we didn't as it brings in those type of customers.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

your right

Yeah you did. The fact of the matter is in that thread you could run the business either way Discounts or No Discounts and still be sucessful. We discount in our office and at times I wish we didn't as it brings in those type of customers.
    Yes, the replys were mixed, but the whole point with me was I will not compete with the internet. If it was you down the street and offered a lower price,same product,would I discount to save a patient?? I don't know. In my area the competition(no chains) use some of the same product, some diff than I do. I sell myself and my expertise to them.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

will not

we have also seen an increase in these on line - pt wanting us to either repair - adjust - or even trouble shoot there problems -

as for when they ask for measurments - I decline - and explain that i do not perform this service -

i love it when PTs start saying it is THEIR PERSONAL INFORMATION (( IE - PD's ) -
    where we are - it is not part of the rx - and if it is -- in some states - i would have who ever wrote that rx - take care of that -

anyways - when they try to push me agst the wall - i explain that it actually not part of their medical record - that these are company property used to fabricate your glasses - and it is not something that is to be released with any documents ( ie worksheets - calculations ) used to make the eyewear -

usually - this will stop them - from gong on and on - and maybe they just move onto somewhere else to have it done

for me - i don't work for free- and furthermore - i would not expect our company - to pay me for something they do get rec. anything in return -

this goes for fress prs - z87 jobs- anything - because i'll tell u 1 exp 1 had when we used to do these services with my old company - you would take a seg ht - not knowing what pal they where using - and the vendor says to the pt - we made them how you ordered them - go and get XYZ - to fix them since they made the measuraments like they are -
    well let me tell u - only once did i remake a pr - for someone since i did nto want the headache - but i learned my lesson - even if you try to do something " NICE " - you get the stick in the long run - if something is wrong

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Now we get to the crux of the problem. Are these (eyeglass and contact lens measurements) optical retail records or medical ones. If one had endless time and money for lawyers this could be decided over decades.

Chip

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Imho

the OAA (optom association of Australia) recommends that PDs are taken by the dispenser as part of the dispensing process.

I stick by that, thus no PDs on my prescriptions.

steff

Thread Information