Thread: Photochromic Poly ST28

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Confused Photochromic Poly ST28

Does anyone know of a Photo Poly ST28 that we can get in that is not the Vision Ease Life RX???

Thanks for your time.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Something better!

Try the Trivex Transitions FT.

Younger Optical produces it.

http://www.youngeroptics.com/products/trilogy/

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Damnit FEZZ, you beat me to the answer! We should really get seperate brains. One of ours is being wasted.

Yes, trivex is better. I am paying less for trivex trans than LifeRx, and my margins are higher. There is a thread about FT and LifeRx on the board somewhere, and I (among others) made some thoughtfull comments.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    To answer your question; no.
    You can get a poly trans round, though.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Thankyou for your responses:)

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I think that the vision ease life photochromic FT-28 gets a lot darker than Trans. V. I don't care for Trans. V. I like NG Trans better than V.

Jeff

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I'm curious...

Quote Originally Posted by ol'labguy View Post
    Does anyone know of a Photo Poly ST28 that we can get in that is not the Vision Ease Life RX???

Thanks for your time.
    Why don't you want the LifeRx?

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Can't say, just looking for alternatives. Thanks for the help.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by TLG
    Why don't you want the LifeRx?
    I have heard of delamination being a problem, but don't know if thats real or not as I have never had one come back for that.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Working for a large and monopolistic corporation who, in the interest of my continued employment with said large and monopolistic corporation, shall remain nameless, we send an average of a little over two pairs per day of LifeRx out the door and have an average of about 2.5 per month come back delaminating. The mean time to happen for this seems to be about 10-11 months.

A slightly over 3% failure rate means the issue is very, very real.

On a side note, I do not believe I've ever seen an A/R coated LifeRx delaminate, but that's probably owing to the fact that if we sell a photo lens with A/R, we almost always order a Transitions lens. The most notable case of this was a patient who worked in a rock quarry. He went through 2 sets of LifeRx in about 8 months before we put him in a Transitions lens. This gives a lot of weight to VE's statement that abrasive environments and sweat contribute heavily towards the delamination, although those conditions will admittedly destroy practically any lens in short order.

I'd like to see other people posting their experiences with this (average units, average defects seen, time to happen and any other insights) so I can get an idea of where we fall on the ol' bell curve.

Occupation
    I can't be of any help here as we don't sell enough of them to have any significant difference. I have never had one come back, but at a 3% rate as you've calculated and the fact that we do maybe one a month, and I've been here for 1 yr., with those numbers it will take me another 1.78 years before I see the first delamination, but when I do I'll let you know. :bbg:
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I've had problems with the Life Rx delaminating in a rimless frame. Same with any polarized in poly.

Harry

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffsoptical View Post
    I think that the vision ease life photochromic FT-28 gets a lot darker than Trans. V. I don't care for Trans. V. I like NG Trans better than V.

Jeff
    You're joking...right? :shiner::shiner::shiner:

Even the VisionEase literature disagrees with you - they admit to about 60% absorption - Trivex Trans5 is closer to 75-80%.

Put them head to head (which I've done a few dozen times) - the Trivex product will always be darker after 90 seconds of exposure.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Life Rx

As for hte life rx lens -

I did see a spike in return delamination rates - from an older product - i think back in 2006 was the recall - and specific lot numbers -

when i spoke with the rep - and the office - they did inform me that they had large batch - INCLUDING MANY LOT numbers - that had apoxy ( ? not really sure what it is really called -- but what it comes down to is the glue that holds these things togther -) --- anyways - they had issues with a batch of that - and to be PERFECTLY HONEST - since we had sent these back - we have not seen many - if not any come back in - EXCEPT THOSE FROM BEFORE -

I WONDER HOW MANY OF THESE DELAMINATIONS - are form old product that was left on the shelf - ? and what is from NEW product ??

Personally - i don't care for a laminate - and i will only sell it in full frames - and never a rimless - or semi rimless - I just feel you are increasing your chances for issues - if you groove something that is laminated -

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

any feedback on NEW LIfe RX ( 2nd generation ? maybe 3rd ? )

Hi everyone -

was wondering if anyone had feedback on the so called
    new and improved LIFE RX photocromatic products from VE ?

our lab rep - once again - is trying to get us to use it - saying that the de-lamination issues are finally corrected with this product - ( that does not sound to good - coming from him ) _ LOL

as i recall - it was a nightmare for our pts in the past - and we only ordered it - for those FT's that we used in our drill mounts - since the docs did not and still will not use trivex - ( I can not understand why - but i was told - this is not an option for us - ( i actually think they got sick of me - asking them - to allow me to order it ) -

I then started to refused to order it for any one else - once i got maybe 50 % of them back with in the 1st 12-15 mnths and i saw 1st hand -
    1- the horrible performance of the density & then eventually
    2- the product actually falling apart

when i say - falling apart - I MEAN the actual laminate pealing apart and away from the front of the lens

I could not believe it !! IT was clear that it was rushed on the market - and no one tested how - heat and aging would effect the glue that hold these things together ------
    i thought we where 10 plus yrs ago when we saw this happen in the polarized products - ( even then - it was not as bad as these lenses where (( ?? ARE ?? ))

I do not recall what the lab guy new name was ? (SORTA LIKE THERE TEGRA - ECT NAMES ))) - it had something to do with TOUGH ? or something like that ? I also wonder if they have any other products out there - that was changed to this so called "NEW" TOUGH manufacturing /marketing ploy ???

IN the oLD product that we saw come back - it actually pealed off the front - ALTHOUGH it was interesting to peal the lens apart - IT REALLY made our PTS upset - and i think it damaged our reputation a LITTLE - for the high quality and workmanship of our other products that we strive for. AND OUR PTS CAME TO US EXPECTING . I guess i learned my lesson - not to get wrapped up in thinking the "NEW PRODUCTS " are always the best - and since this is the only product that is even now CURRENTLY out there - for a phtocromic POLY Flat top ?? !!!
    ( pls correct me if i am wrong )

WE did what everyone else in this position does - WE STOOD behind our product - and fixed the issues - no 's asked - but the fact is they got a sub standard product from us -

Besides that biggest issue of the lens falling apart - after 10-18 months THE DARKNESS WAS JUST AS BAD !!! I felt like i was dealing with the 1st or 2nd generation transitions . It got to MAYBE 40-50 % darkness ?

Now i am uncertain - if they address this issue -- in this "NEW IMPORVED LENS" but would love to hear if anyone has any exp. with it yet ?

WHy is it that transitions can not come out with a ft poly lens >? does it only have to do with the BIFOCAL area > ? can they not mix the transition polymers into that area ?

thanks for any insight you may have wth these lenses - and any other options that we can do -

_ OH - one last thing - ? -- how does (( that is IF IT DOES )) - effect the manufacturing of this product into a z87 frame with the high impact standards ?

I am UNCERTAIN how a laminated product fits into these standards - ? and if it at all being utilized ( OR SHOULD IT BE USED ) in this application ?
    I would imagine the same would go for say - and poly polarized - 2mm high impact z87 frame and lens combo -

thanks in adavcne for your help
    b

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Poly De-lamination real problem

Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    I have heard of delamination being a problem, but don't know if thats real or not as I have never had one come back for that.
    We've had quite a few Vision-Ease photochromics delaminate. None of the Trivex have.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had one last week. He'd had for a year. So they are still coming back, unfortunately.

Bad address email on file Dougfir8's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I just received a few pairs of comp lenses. I had one made with Younger Image and the other with VE's Illumina. Luckily for me, my eyes don't seem to notice much difference (with resulting discomfort) between the lens styles. The bigger difference is that one is in a Mount Eyewear drill mount and the other in a generic grooved frame. One is LifeRx and the other Trivex T6. I will compare their change rates and apparent darkness and report back

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougfir8 View Post
    I will compare their change rates and apparent darkness and report back
    thanks - i will be interested in the outcome -

i have taken the life rx outside and compared it to the trans 5 and trans 6 - and hands down the transitions get much darker - then the VE life rx -

is LIFE RX - the only photocromic out there - that uses this laminate technology ?

is trivex aval in a transition ? and does it come in a FT ?
    is there a reason why they can not make poly transition in a ft ?

Master OptiBoarder Crazy-bout-Optics's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Radio Star View Post

I'd like to see other people posting their experiences with this (average units, average defects seen, time to happen and any other insights) so I can get an idea of where we fall on the ol' bell curve.

Last month we had over 16 remakes b/c of delamination of the wonderful Reactint :) Anyone who asks for Transitions, we order Photo Poly. It is now an unwritten rule, we don't sell reactint, even though thats what they want us to push.

We were told the issue was fixed, however the lenses speak for themselves.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    We've had no issues with the new release of the Vision Ease lenses

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We just got all of our VE lenses recalled to make room for a new release....for the past 3 months I havent sold a single one....yet I get 3-4 per week back. I even started replacing it with a transition product to avoid a 2nd remake. Our largest remake reason is delamination...I will have a hard time selling them again...after the first promise the problem had been fixed. If I didnt have that problem to content with I would only have about a 5% remake total for customer damage, rx change and defects.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Try the Trilogy (Trivex) FT w/ Transitions VI

Using the Trilogy (Trivex)FT w/ Transitions VI should solve the dreaded VE issue you all have. It is available from Younger Optics. Good Luck.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Thanks for all the updates

Thank you to everyone for all the updates and information. It has truly been very valuable. This is the best board out there.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For those that have to have poly I have switched to a backside round with a little blend. My lab lists four sizes (diameters) but will work with others. My patients love these over their old FT since the line is not as noticeable. The best three parts are that I can get any material/photochromic/polarized combination I want, the front of the lens has no shelf and I make more money from the patients that just can't go to a progressive.

Thread Information