Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shamir and Luxotica Merger

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Shamir and Luxotica Merger

Has anyone else heard these rumors? Where do these start from? I called four local Lenscrafters today -three told me that they had never heard of PAL's called Genesis or Piccolo and one told me that the Genesis was made by Varilux and that they could order it for me-for a very steep additonal premium price.
    I would like to ask- do any of you all do this? Call local optical establishments and act stupid ( Unfortunatley I seem to be able to pull that off easily) . I am always amazed at what I am told- every time that I have done this, no matter the subject that I am inquiring about- I am given some information that is so far wrong that it is shameful.If you are easily amused or very bored-shop the competition-it should make you feel a whole lot better about yourself!
    meanwhile- any thoughts on the Shamir & Lux rumor?
    Florida Optician;)

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Shopper's Optical in Canada had the exclusive right to dispense Shamir lenses in the nation (there goes your oh so wonderful independent lens company).

Luxottica recently acquired Shopper's and changed it into Pearle Vision. This could be where the rumour came from.

I would have some difficulty believing it. If Lux were to buy a lens company I would assume that the company would have to have as wide of a selection as possible so the it does not have to shop around as much. Shamir has a narrow selection compared to other companies, and does not even have an AR that it uses in North America (though I found one AR called Glacier that it said it was doing).

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

You mean they own THAT too?

My wife recently had a Pap Shamir test, and fortunately, everything was cool.
    :o
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Shamir is major mold supplier......................

Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    Shamir has a narrow selection compared to other companies,

You should know and not forget that Shamir started out and still is one of the most important mold manufacturers, making your well liked progressive lens molds for many of the major corporations

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    You should know and not forget that Shamir started out and still is one of the most important mold manufacturers, making your well liked progressive lens molds for many of the major corporations
    don't worry, I will not forget ;)

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I love my bagels with a Shamir of cream cheese.

Red Sox Red Sox Red Sox optirep's Avatar
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    I think the rumor is Bull Shamir

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile I laughed out loud

Quote Originally Posted by DocInChina View Post
    I love my bagels with a Shamir of cream cheese.

Now thats a good pun!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    c'mon if Lux was gonna buy anyone it would be Essilor......or vice versa:hammer:

I have to say that I have more trouble believing a lens/frame merger than some other possibilities

Although then perhaps they will make a private label Eye Med lens called "forthegoyim"
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    What I think is interesting is that many of those well liked progressive molds that I (and others) suspect are made by Shamir have MFH of 17 and 18mm. However, Shamir doesn't have any lenses that have MFH = to 17 or 18. And they don't seem to be interested in making any, since their newer Creation has a 19mm MFH just like the Genesis.

So Shamir made a 17mm MFH (which would have greatly improved their competitiveness, IMO) and sold it off? Hmm.

----WARNING - HIJACKED THREAD AHEAD---
    If Lux were to buy a lens company, who would it be? What would be the best fit? Who COULD they get? I love to speculate. It's the first step to a good rumor.
    Younger, not diversified enough
    Essilor, Ziess, Hoya, too big
    Shamir - decent guess
    Signet Armorlite - Maybe
    TOG - no, they don't like poly
    But my number one pick is VisionEase. They make their lenses in Polar and now Photo (great for 2nd pair sales). They specilize in poly. And have I heard a rumor that they may be vulnerable? But they don't make their own molds.
    What would be your pick?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dammitt! I was writing a letter to DocInChina with my quill and ink, I spilled my ale, and Shamired the whole damn letter.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post
    What I think is interesting is that many of those well liked progressive molds that I (and others) suspect are made by Shamir have MFH of 17 and 18mm. However, Shamir doesn't have any lenses that have MFH = to 17 or 18. And they don't seem to be interested in making any, since their newer Creation has a 19mm MFH just like the Genesis.

So Shamir made a 17mm MFH (which would have greatly improved their competitiveness, IMO) and sold it off? Hmm.

Shamir has the Piccalo at 16mm

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What I have been told is that Essilor and others list their MFH as the *absolute* minimum. Where as Shamir lists the preferred min. How many of you have had their rep show you the difference in reading area between the various short corridors comparing it to the piccolo. If you look at their side by side comparisons of plots, the piccolo supposedly has more reading area at 14 high than what Ellipse and co have.

--------------------------------------

On the other ideas...

I agree VE would be a company that Lux would be interested in. They support their LifeRx series, use their polar lenses, Tegra SV, and other stock lenses and blanks..

I wouldn't be suprised if in the future Shamir and Lux will break their agreement off in Canada...

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    null
    Last edited by Radio Star; 07-22-2007 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Not the place to vent

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    For which "major" corporations, exactly?
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
    What I have been told is that Essilor and others list their MFH as the *absolute* minimum. Where as Shamir lists the preferred min. How many of you have had their rep show you the difference in reading area between the various short corridors comparing it to the piccolo. If you look at their side by side comparisons of plots, the piccolo supposedly has more reading area at 14 high than what Ellipse and co have.
    Also, my experience is that some of the other progressive lens mfgs that we have heard buy their lens designs and molds from Shamir set their minimum fitting height at 85% of the total add power. Check out the power at the deepest point of the reading area of a Definity at 20mm high, or a Comfort at 18mm high, and see if what you read on your lensometer corresponds to the add power inscribed on the lens. In my experience, they don't. A supposed 2.50 add will read 2.25 at best.
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optirep View Post
    I think the rumor is Bull Shamir
    Hey, that's my local baseball team!!

(from Durham Bulls Country in NC)
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister View Post
    For which "major" corporations, exactly?

I've been told that the Younger Image is a Shamir mold.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Lux & Shamir = Laverne & Shirley?

"Shamir, Shamozzle, Luxottica Incorporated"

<Starts theme song>:bbg::bbg:
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Weiss View Post
    Also, my experience is that some of the other progressive lens mfgs that we have heard buy their lens designs and molds from Shamir set their minimum fitting height at 85% of the total add power. Check out the power at the deepest point of the reading area of a Definity at 20mm high, or a Comfort at 18mm high, and see if what you read on your lensometer corresponds to the add power inscribed on the lens. In my experience, they don't. A supposed 2.50 add will read 2.25 at best.
    85% of 2.50 is 2.125...out of ANSI tolerances no matter how you look at it.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I've been told that the Younger Image is a Shamir mold.
    I have no doubt that some of the smaller companies may use OEM lens designs.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister View Post
    I have no doubt that some of the smaller companies may use OEM lens designs.
    My guess would be that AO, SOLA, or Zeiss have never used molds from another manufacturer. Am I correct.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    My guess would be that AO, SOLA, or Zeiss have never used molds from another manufacturer. Am I correct
    You are correct; we've never had a need to buy OEM lens designs. Each Carl Zeiss Vision brand has their own lens design team, with a great deal of IP in progressive lens design.

For that matter, I doubt that the Essilor and Varilux brands have ever used OEM lens designs, either. Of course, Essilor acquired the Definity design from their acquisition of much of Johnson & Johnson's spectacle lens division, but even still it isn't really branded as an "Essilor" or "Varilux" product.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    I wonder which companies are using OEM?
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Really, my only point is that the "major" manufacturers generally don't. Small manufacturers, on the other hand, may find it more economically feasible to use OEM designs.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Thread Information