Thread: rx with no expiration date

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

rx with no expiration date

If a patient brings in a contact lens rx, and there is not an expiration date written on it, do you.....
    a: fill it for two years
    b: fill it for one year
    c: call dr. and get expiration date
    d: none of the above

I am asking those who do not have a one year contact lens law according to their state laws.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I believe it is good for 2 years from exam date if there is no expiration, but I would call the Dr. office to ask what he/she wanted for an expiration.
    UFRICH:cheers:

Occupation
    Optometrist
    http://optometry.ohio.gov/pdfs/ftcrule.pdf

Look at #29.

Essentially, the FTC has defacto usurped state's rights and imposed a one year expiration date on everything. (Much thanks to Utah's favorite son.)

Only exception is if your state has a longer than one year expiration date.

Bottom line: follow the rules of the state and FTC.

However, I wouldn't take on the law, myself. I'd make the prescriber do it, for it is their job, primarily.

However however, you are a CL seller, and you have to know and follow the rules yourself.

Why not ask the upper management at Costco? I'm sure they know all about laws and regulations. (Yeah?)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know what our policies and regulations are. I am just wondering how it is handled in other states and offices. This is part of a discussion my friend and I were having. Just wanted more feedback.

Thanks for your replies and for the link drk.:)

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I always default to the safest option, 1 year.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Great question, Nettie.:)

Do you see this very often, or is it more hypothetical?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When was the last time the FTC enforced anything. They sure haven't enforced Eyeglass 1.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Good point, Chip. Paper tiger.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Thumbs up Contact lens Rx should expire in 1 year!!!!!!!

I agree that all contact lens Rx's should expire in 1 year. I don't agree that Rx's for glasses should expire in just one year. All patients that wear contacts should get a yearly exam to make sure there are no eye infections.

Jeff

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Have not run into one without an expiration date but if I do I will call the doctor if it's over a year old. Common coutesy, common sense.

Occupation
    As per Utah rules

Quote Originally Posted by 58-16a-102
    (3) (a) "Contact lens prescription" means a written or verbal order for contact lenses that
    includes:
    (i) the commencement date of the prescription;
    (ii) the base curve, power, diameter, material or brand name, and expiration date;
    What you have in your hands is a piece of paper not a "Contact Lens Prescription". C and D are the only options.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Aah, very, very good, Harry!

It is NOT a prescription without an expiration date, is it?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When in doubt ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS call the prescribing Dr to find out. For example, if i have prism in the lenses and want to split it to make the glasses look better, I always call the Dr. before doing it. It just makes sense to CYA. :cheers:

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Harry: I don't know about Utah, but I would not fill a "Contact Lens Prescription" with all the data you describe. When I fit contact lenses
    I fit the lenses not the prescriber, not the lab and not a silly little chart from the cute little girl in the miniskirt. I also go to great lenghts to see that what I put on the eye acutally fits and does not disturb that eye over long periods of time. If the lens doesn't fit, I change it none of the above entities consulted (I do send reports to those prescribers that haven't indicated they would rather not be involved). If there is a problem that I think the ophthalmologist should see or that I cannot identify or resolve, I send the patient back to the prescriber, otherwise I don't bother him.
    An Rx with all parameters and measurements ties my hands and my worth to the patient.
    To me a contact lens Rx is a spectacle Rx and the words "O.K. for contact lenses" on it. When this ceases to be legal, I'll let the prescribers deal with thier own cones, scarred eyes, trifocals, rediculously high cylinders and the like.

Chip

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Harry: I don't know about Utah, but I would not fill a "Contact Lens Prescription" with all the data you describe. When I fit contact lenses
    I fit the lenses not the prescriber, not the lab and not a silly little chart from the cute little girl in the miniskirt. I also go to great lenghts to see that what I put on the eye acutally fits and does not disturb that eye over long periods of time. If the lens doesn't fit, I change it none of the above entities consulted (I do send reports to those prescribers that haven't indicated they would rather not be involved). If there is a problem that I think the ophthalmologist should see or that I cannot identify or resolve, I send the patient back to the prescriber, otherwise I don't bother him.
    An Rx with all parameters and measurements ties my hands and my worth to the patient.
    To me a contact lens Rx is a spectacle Rx and the words "O.K. for contact lenses" on it. When this ceases to be legal, I'll let the prescribers deal with thier own cones, scarred eyes, trifocals, rediculously high cylinders and the like.
    Agreed chip, The law in the state of utah does state that for it to be a valid Rx it must include a expiration date on it. If the law also states that the optician can fit contact lenses well bingo that's your solution. You are more the exception than the norm, and we love you for it.

Quote Originally Posted by drk
    Aah, very, very good, Harry!

It is NOT a prescription without an expiration date, is it?
    No it's unprofessional and could be misconstrued by someone like me as a vain atempt by the prescriber to keep the script in office, which it is a majority of the time (and it really is, a lot of these consultants try and suggest sneaky ways of keeping the script in house).

Doesn't matter because I come out shining in these examples, either you give me the expiration date over the phone or when you hang up I continue to talk like your still on the line and make you out as the bad guy. :D Never actually done it in front of a patient, but my doctor gets shocked evertime and I get bold to the dial tone in front of her, you should hear me.:bbg:
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Thread Information