Thread: what a day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

what a day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

have had a very bad day. First, someone brings me a drilled rimless almost falling apart, and per MY policy, I do not work on any drill mt I did not make. (I live in a tourist resort area and get a lot of repairs in the summer). An hour later, her father calls me and says because I wouldn"t fix the glasses, He wont buy his here. I said ok and wont change my policy. (He's never been here before anyhow).
    Second: Lady picks up Silh drills, which I had sold her previosly, and says
    " I Have been shopping, how close to 500.00 can you come" I asked if someone local had given that price. The response, "NO, THE INTERNET"
    handed her the script, and said to get an address if they break or need adjustment. Mind you, my price would have been 589.00, total of 89 dollars diff. Sorry to rant, but needed to vent. Beers all 'round!!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sit back and relax.

This rounds on me!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Occupation
    Optometrist
    The lady: had you made a pair, and were dispensing them? Or, was she doing a frame selection?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    have had a very bad day. First, someone brings me a drilled rimless almost falling apart, and per MY policy, I do not work on any drill mt I did not make. (I live in a tourist resort area and get a lot of repairs in the summer). An hour later, her father calls me and says because I wouldn"t fix the glasses, He wont buy his here. I said ok and wont change my policy. (He's never been here before anyhow).
    Second: Lady picks up Silh drills, which I had sold her previosly, and says
    " I Have been shopping, how close to 500.00 can you come" I asked if someone local had given that price. The response, "NO, THE INTERNET"
    handed her the script, and said to get an address if they break or need adjustment. Mind you, my price would have been 589.00, total of 89 dollars diff. Sorry to rant, but needed to vent. Beers all 'round!!!
    The old man on the phone must have gotten to you a little! I would have come a little closer to $500 I can tell you that! Why would you let someone walk like that?

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Maybe he/she just got tired . . . .

of getting beat up by bargain hunters that are to stupid to figure out that at some point they are going to need service. I applaud his/her stance. Walk into any major department store and ask them how close they can get to any price. Its her $500.00 mistake.

It always cracked me up when we offered to troubleshoot or adjust online glasses for a price. They would look shocked and say, "well they said you would do it for free." It was even funnier when I told them that they didn't have to pay. That they were free to go home bring up the website, press their face up to their monitor and see how long it took for the company that actually sold them the glasses to help them.

Idiots!! You can't live with them and shooting them is against the law. I hope you're all having fun and making money!!

:cheers:
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

Banned
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Bright spot is. Lock the place up, ride down to Kellys, set at the bar, and watch the pretty girls lick oysters off the half shells.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think the lady asked "how close can you come to $500?" With a little reasoning about the value of your service and a little discount, she would not have walked. Even if it wasn't all the way down to $500. I don't see why a little negotiation didn't take place. I think I'd get on the phone and tell her I'd reconsidered. Maybe tell her that you thought about it a little and that you know how unhappy she'll be with her online glasses (I assume they are PALS) and that as a valued customer you'd hate to see her go through the whole ordeal.
    Regarding department store discounts...I hear and see ads all the time from stores that say they will not be undersold. Price matching and a refund of 10-25% of the difference, You know the ones I'm talking about!

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by gemstone
    Bright spot is. Lock the place up, ride down to Kellys, set at the bar, and watch the pretty girls lick oysters off the half shells.
    I don't know where you live, but I'm on my way there. :cheers:
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    " I Have been shopping, how close to 500.00 can you come"
    "I can leave off one side piece. Which one would you like me to not order?":p

Here comes a cold one from someone who also relates!:cheers:
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 07-12-2007 at 06:05 PM. Reason: addition

OptiBoard Professional bren_03825's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not to, well I guess I am, put in my two cent draft :bbg:

Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    Regarding department store discounts...I hear and see ads all the time from stores that say they will not be undersold. Price matching and a refund of 10-25% of the difference, You know the ones I'm talking about!
    My office does not discount, we are located in a "lower income county" yet people still pay $500-$1100 for 1 pair of specs. I let them know they can get whatever, wherever....but, this isn't a walk in, pick up off the shelf product. It is 100% custom made for them. Besides...they are very hard pressed to find someone like me to help them...not ego :bbg:(too much), I just know that I can do better than most of my competitors.
    I agree with obxeyeguy, and here's a cold one for ya

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You should have done the measurements for $86.50 then there would have been no savings for her going on the internet.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I offer senior discounts, when asked. I take a couple of insurances that do not pay full price, discounted 20-30%. I don't really like to take them but, I do. The bargain hunter was asking for a 16% discount...tops. I personally would have worked something out. There was still a nice profit there. Compare that to zero and it's a no brainer.
    I have a friend, who's family is in the auto industry, they have more than 10 dealerships in the midwest. The father once told me that if a customer is on the lot, they do not walk. NO matter what profit they make on the deal, fine, they did their job and have a customer. Of course they want to hit the home run on every one but, it just doesn't happen. The original poster handed the patient her rx and told her cya. Let's see... a pair of glasses every 2 years for the next 10 years at $500 a pop. I wouldn't kiss that away.

Occupation
    have had a very bad day.
    and now you have everyone here on your back, you cant do anything right today:p.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bren_03825 View Post
    Not to, well I guess I am, put in my two cent draft :bbg:

My office does not discount, we are located in a "lower income county" yet people still pay $500-$1100 for 1 pair of specs. I let them know they can get whatever, wherever....but, this isn't a walk in, pick up off the shelf product. It is 100% custom made for them. Besides...they are very hard pressed to find someone like me to help them...not ego :bbg:(too much), I just know that I can do better than most of my competitors.
    I agree with obxeyeguy, and here's a cold one for ya
    I see your office takes VSP. Do you get full price for those glasses?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

better now

after a few, ok alot of beers, and not at kellys, I live on the north beach( I do Have a bartender that works for me and at kellys). Thanks for the replys.Still have mastered the quote thing so here gos,
    cme4specs: your missing the point. I DONT NEGOTIATE MY PRICE FOR MY PROFESSIONAL SERVICE, PERIOD. wITH YOU OR ANY ONE. I have been an optician for over thirty years and am preety good at it,why would I discount to make no money????????
    I live at the beach, I have nice cars, I REFUSE TO DO IT!!!!!!!!
    This is the problems we created for ourselves years ago. stop working for nothing

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

sorry!

thought I had posted this in the Pro only, my error. Didn't mean to put prices in.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    OBX,

I also live in a resort area (edge of Cape Cod) and find the glasses problems nowhere near as maddening as the contact lens tourist problems that call or walk into the office.

--They show the box and want for free my trials until their mail order come in--or just give a substitute.

I took the "contact lens services" out of my phonebook ad.

Harry

Banned
    Occupation
    OBX.
    Beware the wancheesers.

What you call a Wancheeser in a suit?

corpse

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    after a few, ok alot of beers, and not at kellys, I live on the north beach( I do Have a bartender that works for me and at kellys). Thanks for the replys.Still have mastered the quote thing so here gos,
    cme4specs: your missing the point. I DONT NEGOTIATE MY PRICE FOR MY PROFESSIONAL SERVICE, PERIOD. wITH YOU OR ANY ONE. I have been an optician for over thirty years and am preety good at it,why would I discount to make no money????????
    I live at the beach, I have nice cars, I REFUSE TO DO IT!!!!!!!!
    This is the problems we created for ourselves years ago. stop working for nothing
    Guy, I didn't miss your point at all. I also have more than 30 years in optical. So what? I live at the beach also, I have nice cars and a couple of Harleys all paid for. I have 2 kids in college, no student loans and no 2nd mortgage. So what? Now you and I both know what you were going to make on that $589 deal. You took ZERO dollars to the bank and lost a customer. Now you might have felt you one upped her by handing that gal her rx back to her, but you were the loser my friend! How much would you have made if it was VSP?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

another day

Well, when I got home the third (and last) thing hit, COMPUTER CRASHED!!! Oh well,start over. Cme, if I had negotiated price with her, she tells all her friends, and look what happens. I prefer to price my products fair and not discount. As far as VSP , davis, cole, eyemed .... I don't take them. Where other than a car dealership do you negotiate a price?? Home depot? K-mart?? Your surgeon? Just asking. We have much different business ideas. Yours works for you, mine for me.
    Genstone: oysters $4.00 dozen at kelly's tonite!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by harry888 View Post
    OBX,

I also live in a resort area (edge of Cape Cod) and find the glasses problems nowhere near as maddening as the contact lens tourist problems that call or walk into the office.

--They show the box and want for free my trials until their mail order come in--or just give a substitute.

I took the "contact lens services" out of my phonebook ad.

Harry
    Harry, you are right. "I know my prescription, its a 20/80, any kind will do"
    Yesterday a friend done the beach had a girl who wanted torics (tourist) He sells trials, I don't. $15.00 and she wanted him to file her bc\bs. I wish that the phamacys sold them

Occupation
    Genstone: oysters $4.00 dozen at kelly's tonite!!
    You can get them down to $3.29 a dozen if you try :p

Thread Information