Polarized lenses for night driving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polarized lenses for night driving?

Just wondering, would you ever recommend a polarized lens for night time driving? ie, a yellow polarized lens (to increase light transmission yet reducing glare from headlights)

I recently tried the Drivewear lens, via a voucher given to me from my rep. I actually like the lens. And don't attack me on this guys, but I love this lens for night time driving. I've been comparing it to the Teflon coated AR clear lens I usually drive with. The Drivewear lens (in its yellowish tint stage) shows much significant glare reduction compared to Teflon coated lens during night driving. Plus, the yellowish tint does not cause noticable reduction of light that can cause a hazard.

Doctor, while I am very pleased that you like the Drivewear Lens, please understand that it is not recommended for night driving. It may seem that the yellow-green color does not cut down on the amount of light, but, at 37% Transmission, it unfortunately does. At night, the driver absolutely needs as much light as possible in order to drive safely, and I believe that tints here are not benefical, even very light yellow tints. AR Coatings may be helpful, but certainly either polarized lenses or tints are strickly for daytime use, in my experience.

Once again, I am very glad you like Drivewear, but please limit it's use to daytime use, since it is a sunlens.

Dave Rips - President & CEO Younger Optics (maker of Drivewear)
    sigpic

Comment

For dusk and dawn ie: low light conditions, yes. For true night driving, no. Perhaps you could get away with it in the city where artificial lighting is present but out on the country roads you need all the light you can get.

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by CEO View Post
        Doctor, while I am very pleased that you like the Drivewear Lens, please understand that it is not recommended for night driving. It may seem that the yellow-green color does not cut down on the amount of light, but, at 37% Transmission, it unfortunately does. At night, the driver absolutely needs as much light as possible in order to drive safely, and I believe that tints here are not benefical, even very light yellow tints. AR Coatings may be helpful, but certainly either polarized lenses or tints are strickly for daytime use, in my experience.

Once again, I am very glad you like Drivewear, but please limit it's use to daytime use, since it is a sunlens.

Dave Rips - President & CEO Younger Optics (maker of Drivewear)
        Dave,

Thanks for coming forward early on and setting this subject on the right path. Great lens, but like anything else, it needs to be used for the correct visual tasks.:D

Diane
        Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Comment

Originally posted by DrNeyecare View Post
          Just wondering, would you ever recommend a polarized lens for night time driving? ie, a yellow polarized lens (to increase light transmission yet reducing glare from headlights)
          Yellow tinted lenses transmit more light only when compared to other tints. Any time you put a tint in front of the eye, you are decreasing the amount of light the eye is getting.

Since vision is based on the amount of light entering the eye, we suggest an AR coating when glasses must be worn.
          Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Comment

I recently tried the Drivewear lens, via a voucher given to me from my rep. I actually like the lens. And don't attack me on this guys, but I love this lens for night time driving. I've been comparing it to the Teflon coated AR clear lens I usually drive with. The Drivewear lens (in its yellowish tint stage) shows much significant glare reduction compared to Teflon coated lens during night driving. Plus, the yellowish tint does not cause noticable reduction of light that can cause a hazard.

Having worn the drivewear lens once myself as it changed from dusk to night, it seemed like I could see almost just as well, and it was very comfortable, but yes it did cut down on the ability to "quickly notice" anything, especially off the sides of the road. Living in rural Michigan, that can truly dangerous, with deer and bear. I've recmmended to all my patients who wear tinted lenses all the time, to have a clear pair of at least dvo glasses for night driving, with AR of course.
            :cheers:
            Brendan Bohl, ABOC
            http://bbohl71.wix.com/vizionz

Comment

Thanks guys! i appreciate the clarification. What you all said made total sense.

Dave (CEO), yes, the Drivewear lens is a good lens. I would say that for daytime driving conditions, I much prefer your Nupolar Grey Polarized lens.
              The Drivewear lens doesn't darken enough for me. Just my opinion.

Comment

Dave (CEO), yes, the Drivewear lens is a good lens. I would say that for daytime driving conditions, I much prefer your Nupolar Grey Polarized lens.
                The Drivewear lens doesn't darken enough for me. Just my opinion.
                :idea:

I agree with that, doc. I wear the drivewear lenses mainly at dawn and dusk, and overcast days, and gray polarized shades for sunny days. If the drivewear lens could get about 25-35% darker, I would wear it full time.
                Last edited by bren_03825; 07-07-2007, 06:52 AM. Reason: hard time typing today
                Brendan Bohl, ABOC

Comment

Yellow at night will play with your color perception. Something or someONE on the side of the road in dark clothing at night would be very hard to see. There is a good article on LaramyK's website about the same subject. Give it a read.

my 2 cents
                  Properly medicated for your protection.

Comment

polarized at night

Im not as lens savvy as some of these guys but here goes,

Polarized lens film for reducing light transmission has to be dark to get a true polar, a 10% tint on a polar will not provide enough polarization to even consider it worthwhile.

Comment

I like my Drivewear lenses a lot. They are very nice for overcast, rainy weather, too.

Comment

polarized at night

Not a great idea, Stick to the AR coating. No color tint is ok for driving at night.

Comment

Probably get best results for night driving by just cleaning your glasses and cleaning all your cabin windows inside and out.

Comment

Originally posted by chip anderson View Post
                            cleaning all your cabin windows inside and out.
                            Actually the best advice, clean the windows........hmmmmm, I need to do that.
                            :hammer:
                            Brendan Bohl, ABOC

Comment

CEO, when is poly coming? I'm waiting to fill my voucher :-(
                              I'm so glad you mentioned the night driving thing at the Transitions sponsored event a couple months ago in Raleigh, Hurricanes Game. It's logical enough to think it helps, but as a dispenser, I'm glad to know that it's my duty to warn possible consequences!

Comment

Working...
                              X