Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Polarized lenses for night driving?

Something Wicked This WayComes AngryFish's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Polarized;The presence of artic atmospheric conditions

Rusty, to your first question, yes. To your second, some time ago I noticed the same thing. I have used what I consider to be good quality polarized lenses and they always became opaque when they were offset 90 degrees, regardless of whether they were A, B, or C but I have discovered that some of the cheap ones don’t (I don’t know the manufacture of the lenses and the company I reference uses them because they are very cheap) and I have wondered too, how this could be. I have until now just written it off as a poor quality polarized lens because it is not consistent from manufacture to manufacture. I have to defer to Allen on this one though he understands the process of manufacturing and may have some insight for us.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Be very, very carefull watching solar eclipse(s) back when I used to take retinal pictures, I took a few that had perfect pictures of the solar eclipse on the retina. On the lucky ones, it took a very long time to resolve and go away.

Chip

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

ok i read the land article

I read the read land article and immediately realized two things.

1. I understood none of it

2. The comparison pictures looked like a Andy Warhol homage.

Bu here is another question I have from the article.

The primary prob is backlit or shaded subjects . Not being an expert here is my thought. Lets take the venetian blind theory by offsetting polarizers but this doesn't pan out for me. Then I have to revert to the pinhole. I experimented and wore *cringe* pinhole glasses in the eighties and directly looking at a light source would not cut intensity. Maybe the pinholes are imperceptible and the eye the eye fills in the gaps or is that an occam's razor maybe the greeks were right in 1000bc that man emanated energy from his eyes that scenario if true would help view shaded subjects. The problem in the Land article is the same for the motion picture industry so the problem is systemic throughout all image capture devices. We have to create the enviroment for them to perform at their best or alter the subject matter as with TV film. In comparing eyes to cameras the camera seems to be a raw nerve. I get flares or nuked out backgrounds as we all do with lets say afternoon sun coming into a glass storefront with the naked eye in this light condition no details are discernible with any subject matter too much energy input. we counter this fistly by pupil constriction then by squinting our built in balance controls, hats, eyewear, and the either one or two handed salute to see images obscured by shadow at a distance. I will protest to there being good and bad sunwear out there but is one of the primary reasons for doing this to change the immediate enviroment of the eye to potential subject matter as to both have lets say the same potential energy. I am not forgetting we are operating in our atmospheric soup to which we have xxx amount of years in eye evolution. When the hubble is in darkness it can take a pic of ET's butt pimple from four light years. I have to get coffee now with friend. I look forward to finding my argument shot full of holes by you sliderule guys (not a dis)

Thanks
    Rusty

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I think RustyS forgot to take his medication today, and I would pass on the coffee today if I were you.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I thought it was just me.

What article is Rusty refering to? I read the posting over again to see if I missed something but alas... I'm still cornfused.

:cheers:

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

ooops

Ooops my bad wrong thread. I read the Edwin Land article on color constancy and another where they were seeking solutions on how to get a camera lens to view a shaded object without flaring. More like the human eye in its natural adaptivity. It was friday night a lot of heady incomprehensible (to me) math and i guess i cross posted. Hmmm where did that thread go???

sorry

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

DriveWear lenses rock

DriveWear lenses are the hands down best polarized sunwear I have ever worn. I love them in overcast conditions and even during a rain storm.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Melanin True Light for Night Driving

While not polarized, Melanin True Light offers many of the benefits of polarized lenses with a high transmission that is excellent for night driving. Melanin True Light helps reduce glare and increase contrast. As well, it has an 80% transmission rate.

Our website is currently being updated, but there is a podcast that describes the benefits of polarized and non-polarized melanin at <http://www.melanintrue.com>.

Incidentally, Melanin True is up for an OLA Award of Excellence this year along with Drivewear.

Jon Schmitt, Marketing Manager, Specialty Lens Corporation

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Personal experience: Late one dark and stormy night (;)), I was at a friend's house where there were no street lights and poor illumination at the fringes of the driveway. I had only my Transitions glasses with me, and as I backed out of the driveway, I backed right into the rear end of his very dark green Volkswagen. I tried the same manoever a month or so later with clear AR coated glasses on and noticed a discernible difference in clarity.

I'm one of those who used to use yellow-tinted glasses for night driving, but then I began to notice that they only worked well on well-lit roads.

So this is yet another vote for the obvious (or, as my high school English teacher used to put it, "tenacious grasp of the obvious"): the better the light transmission, the better our night vision will be.

PS: I love my Drivewear sunglasses, and on a recent trip to the Inner Banks of NC my wife took a picture of me with them on and they were DARK brown!!
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Every body said the Drivewear is an exclent lens for driving. Anybody think that a really suitable driving lens should be slightly lighter inside but darker outside? Do you think a polarized lens with 40% transmittance inside the room and 15% transmittance out side (under sunshine) would be more confortable and suitable for driving?
    With free form technology, the Drivewear could be made to be a comfortable progressvie lens up to add 3.50. Champion Fine is supplying this lenses on the market already.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNeyecare View Post
    Just wondering, would you ever recommend a polarized lens for night time driving? ie, a yellow polarized lens (to increase light transmission yet reducing glare from headlights)

I recently tried the Drivewear lens, via a voucher given to me from my rep. I actually like the lens. And don't attack me on this guys, but I love this lens for night time driving. I've been comparing it to the Teflon coated AR clear lens I usually drive with. The Drivewear lens (in its yellowish tint stage) shows much significant glare reduction compared to Teflon coated lens during night driving. Plus, the yellowish tint does not cause noticable reduction of light that can cause a hazard.
    It hasn't been scientifically proven till now that why these lenses create a illusion for the drivers that they feel that they are getting a clearer vision while driving.
    As the Night Driving Sunglasses are Tinted, they reduce the amount of light entering the eye, this can cause a lot of problems while driving on meekly lit roads as it makes driving a lot more difficult.
    If glare at night is a problem then i think you should opt for clear lens sunglasses or Spectacles with Anti Reflection coating which reduce glare and make driving easy.

OptiBoard Professional Kujiradesu's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Yellow tinted lenses transmit more light only when compared to other tints. Any time you put a tint in front of the eye, you are decreasing the amount of light the eye is getting. Since vision is based on the amount of light entering the eye, we suggest an AR coating when glasses must be worn.
    I came here to say this. ANY tint will transmit less light than a clear lens, and visual acuity will be better with a clear lens than with a tinted lens. A clear lens with an A/R coating is best for night driving if you are trying to get the most amount of light transmission possible and best visual acuity.
    Optical Cross: n. crucifixion apparatus used by the New Jersey State Board.

"It is not knowing, but the love of learning, that characterizes the scientific [person]." -Charles Sanders Peirce

"A concept is a brick. It can be used to build a courthouse of reason. Or it can be thrown through the window. -Gilles Deleuze

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Old thread but good topic. Step #1 is to see an eye doctor to rule out pathology and/or refractive error.

"Yellow 'Night Driving' lenses have been shown to provide no benefit in seeing ability at night. They are even hazardous, because they give the driver a feeling of seeing better, which no one has yet been able to explain. Studies have shown that they actually impair visual performance and retard glare recovery. Many promoters have made unfounded claims for the ability of amber to improve night vision. They have employed mass solicitation, usually by mail. The Federal Trade Commission has correctly ruled that such practices are illegal since the lenses do not perform as claimed." - Forensic Aspects of Vision and Highway Safety", Merrill J. Allen, O.D., Ph.D., Et al.

http://www.sae.org/search/?qt=night+driving&x=13&y=6
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    still have no idea this kind of lenses are exist, but lot of my clients looking for this kind of glasses ...

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    According to some, Polarized glasses could help in night driving when there is a snow or fog. Other option is a pair of spectacles with clear lenses.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Do NOT wear polarized sun lenses for night driving. DO NOT DO IT.
    Further, tinted lenses are also unwise for reasons well described in detail in this thread and others.

If you're experiencing glare at night, your first stop would be to the eye doc.
    Second stop would be to the auto parts store for a good streak free cleaner. The amount of dirt and film that many drivers allow to build up on their windscreens is often surprising. Particularly on the inner surfaces. Additionally, a good cleaning of the mirrors (all of them) and the side and rear windows will further help to reduce glare at night - sometimes dramatically.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I've been thinking of trying Vantage for all the time, but specifically thinking it would be good for night glare. I am very light sensitive and Drivewear has been great as a dawn/dusk or overcast/rain/snow lens. I have Maui-esque lenses for strong sun and Trans/various blue blocker coating for indoor/night use.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    I've been thinking of trying Vantage for all the time, but specifically thinking it would be good for night glare. I am very light sensitive and Drivewear has been great as a dawn/dusk or overcast/rain/snow lens. I have Maui-esque lenses for strong sun and Trans/various blue blocker coating for indoor/night use.
    Are you referring to the Transitions Vantage? The Vantage will still be clear at night as it does not have a permanent tint like the Drivewear. The polarization effect will only activate upon full darkening of the lens. The Vantage does have the UV sensitivity of the XtraActive Transitions, so it will more likely change during the day while driving. But still, not at night.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamEye View Post
    Are you referring to the Transitions Vantage? The Vantage will still be clear at night as it does not have a permanent tint like the Drivewear. The polarization effect will only activate upon full darkening of the lens. The Vantage does have the UV sensitivity of the XtraActive Transitions, so it will more likely change during the day while driving. But still, not at night.
    Also, it is CRAZY slow at fading back to clear.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    Also, it is CRAZY slow at fading back to clear.
    Yes, the Transitions Vantage has the same fade time as the XtraActive. The number one reason why I don't sell very many Vantage is due to people wanting the turn time faster, not slower.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I saw a study that was done some years ago on VA at night time, and the addition of a tint. The bottom line is that a person with 20/20 vision has a decrease to 20/32 at night.
    Adding just a 10% tint on a pair of lenses decreases the VA to 20/40. That is borderline legal to drive in most states. A pair of glasses without A/R coating loses 8% of light transmission. This is one reason A/R coating is recommended for night time driving. Your patients are at risk when wearing any of the yellow driving glasses. We refuse to sell them, and recommend A/R coat on their lenses.
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamEye View Post
    Yes, the Transitions Vantage has the same fade time as the XtraActive. The number one reason why I don't sell very many Vantage is due to people wanting the turn time faster, not slower.
    I think the Vantage is much slower to fade than the Xtractive. Vantage is a great product for glasses dedicated to outdoor activities, like running, cycling, hiking, skiing, etc. But for everyday use, the fade time is a deal-breaker. That said, if it ever comes out in hi-index, I want a pair for my Rudy Project glasses.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    So its got a slow fade... fortunately my lenses won't be doing any actual transitioning during my night drives

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    DO NOT use polarized lenses when driving at night. Headlight glare is NOT polarized, and will NOT be magically attenuated with a polar lens.

DO NOT use tinted lenses when driving at night. Reduction in contrast sensitivity and visual acuity are known factors, and as was pointed out above, may well reduce a drivers vision below legal, safe minimum limits.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    DO NOT use polarized lenses when driving at night. Headlight glare is NOT polarized, and will NOT be magically attenuated with a polar lens.

DO NOT use tinted lenses when driving at night. Reduction in contrast sensitivity and visual acuity are known factors, and as was pointed out above, may well reduce a drivers vision below legal, safe minimum limits.
    Why does the link in your post lead to an automotive parts supplier?

Thread Information