Thread: Image IS Everything...

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Lightbulb

Hi all,
    For those of you who haven't had the chance to meet Darris (or Chad, for that matter, but you'd better be able to keep up! ;)), you need to do so for your personal and professional edification.

As Darris explained, during the course of the week he gave the press (which was constantly harrassing us- guess they recognized us as prestigious OptiBoarders D)) the quote "Image is Everything." I initially gave him more than a little grief over this statement.

However, on the plane trip home I realized something. "Image is Everything" is the same as "Perception is Reality." For example, the beads that get tossed on Bourbon Street sell for $1.50 a dozen at the French Quarter. On Bourbon Street, they sell for $7.00/dozen. Reality states that there is no way moving those beads 5 blocks can increase their value by 466%. However, people gladly pay the inflated price (to obtain certain images).

I was being completely forthright when I said I learned more on Bourbon Street than anywhere else last weekend... As a retailer, I learned that you always need to ask "How does that make me money?" That question would seem fundamental, but how often do we get caught up in the aesthetics and pleasantries of business and lose focus on what keeps us IN business- profit!

So, next time I think "That brand-label frame is only popular because of the name... it's no better than the no name stainless steel frame... humbug!" I'll remember that image IS everything (or most everything). If a patient WANTS to pay me an exorbitant amount of money for a sunglass with a certain name, daggonit I'll let 'em!

Pete "Gotta visit San Angelo- the 'located in a depression, fish smelling, lake burning capital of capitalism'" Hanlin

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    (Lip quivering, eyes teary, a little sniffle of joy comes across the air)

I feel as though I've done some good. I and Bourbon St. have given you something that you will take with you and be able to use to make business even better.

When we went to the French Market if you notice how I looked at everything and bought stuff (not just beads ;-) Remember the pewter dragon for my opium den? :-) I paid $17.00 in Nawlins and at "Wicks and Sticks" here in S.A. that same dragon is $36.95. Why is that? Because people will pay it, period. If I went to the Orient I could probably get it for $1.25 because that's where they come from and they're everywhere over there.

Remember the lighter I bought for my hash pipe? :-) $5.00 in Nawlins $25.00 in a kiosk in the mall here (same lighter). But on the flip side the bracelet I bought for my daughter for $10.00 would only cost $5.00 around here because there are so many crafters around here that they have to compete with one another on the same items. All the more reason to be different.

I could go on and on and on, but if I did Pete would probably get arrested the next time he showed his face in Nawlins :-) What I can say is this: It's not; how much is it? It is; how much are you willing to pay? Or what the market will bare. For those out there that equate this with greed I would ask that you understand the idea of staying in business. If I can't make money I can't stay open. If I can't stay open I can't practice my profession and take care of people. Then what? The patients can go to the chains or to the OD's that don't pay well enough to hire qualified opticians.

Talk to you later,

Darris "Business ain't always pretty" Chambless

PS. Did my dark brown dress shoes end up in your suit case?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

I truly believe that image IS everything. Perception is reality. Impulse purchases are available for a reason. We should creat a great course on this very subject. I already have one that touches on this very subject, but I believe that we need one that we can use here on the Optiboard. It could be created by those who regularly post to the board, only. I could be the EDITOR... if our supreme leader says so.
    :)
    Diane

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Image may be everything and perception may be reality, but isn't the phrase "dark brown dress shoes" and oxymoron?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Hiya, Mike. I don't understand. An oxymoron is (as an example) jumbo shrimp; military intelligence; plastic glasses....

Dark brown dress shoes??

I dunno, but I don't get it.

------------------
    Shwing;-}

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Hi Schwing. I was schooled in fashion by Emily Post's only son, "Denseasa." He said that "Dress" shoes are always "black! " One can have brown Oxfords or brown brogans or even brown loafers or brown Wingtips, but never brown dress shoes. Hence the phrase must be an oxymoron.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Originally posted by mikeh:
    Hi Schwing. I was schooled in fashion by Emily Post's only son, "Denseasa." He said that "Dress" shoes are always "black! " One can have brown Oxfords or brown brogans or even brown loafers or brown Wingtips, but never brown dress shoes. Hence the phrase must be an oxymoron.
    Hello Mikeh,

Fashion is a very ambiguous term. What some people like will be different from others regardless of what "sheep" believe ;-) Dark blue or black sport jackets with a white shirt, power tie, and lite grey or lite brown pants are all the rage among professionals. Personally I think it looks stupid and no where near professional.

I'm somewhat nastalgic and have always liked and worn double breasted suits in black or dark blue, suspenders or braces, vests (when you can find them but difficult these days because some idiot decided they were "out" :-) burgandy-tassle wing tips (which I consider dress shoes because I refuse to wear them while mowing the yard or out on the boat :-) So from a fashion standpoint one must look at what one "wants" in fashion and not rely on so called self proclaimed kings of fashion. These people decide what they "want" and think everyone else should be wearing it and "sheep" do just that.

If I must change my terminology to be correct with regard to what is dress vs. what is not dress I will change my question to "Pete, you didn't happened to end up with an extra pair of dark to medium, psuedo black sort of on the top, loafer style shoes worn with dress atire of the fashion kind did you?" :-)

Thanks for the lesson. BTW have you noticed that almost all fashion designers that make very nice stuff have no fashion sense themselves? The others are simply the ugliest people on the face of the planet :-)

Thanks again for setting me straight,

Darris "I'm glad I was told there is a right and a left sock. I wouldn't want to look stupid by having them on the wrong feet" Chambless

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Big Smile

Oh, NOW I know what you mean (I didn't understand the concept of dress brown shoes ;))!

Actually, I don't have them...
    <yes, he does>
    No, I really don't...
    <sure you do, you stole them while we were running from the ants>
    Shut up, MiniPete- I do not have no freaking shoes!
    <of course you do, you always use double negatives when you're lying>
    Would you stop it! I don't even know what shoes he's talking about... I was waiting to see the dapper white spats...

So you see, I do not have your shoes...
    <but you DO have two pair of his underwear and some aftershave>
    If I have to shut you up again, there's gonna be trouble! Don't make me go drinkin' again...

Dang Darris, ever since last Saturday I seem to have this little voice inside my head that argues with me all the time and only shuts up when I drown him with Turkey and Coke... Really, I haven't seen the shoes. Maybe Chad gave them to an, er, friend (oh, I forgot, they'd have to be Navy Blue- but I bet they'd fit! :D).

Pete

[This message has been edited by Pete Hanlin (edited 06-22-2000).]

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Originally posted by Pete Hanlin:
    Oh, NOW I know what you mean (I didn't understand the concept of dress brown shoes ;))!

Actually, I don't have them...
    <yes, he does>
    No, I really don't...
    <sure you do, you stole them while we were running from the ants>
    Shut up, MiniPete- I do not have no freaking shoes!
    <of course you do, you always use double negatives when you're lying>
    Would you stop it! I don't even know what shoes he's talking about... I was waiting to see the dapper white spats...

So you see, I do not have your shoes...
    <but you DO have two pair of his underwear and some aftershave>
    If I have to shut you up again, there's gonna be trouble! Don't make me go drinkin' again...

Dang Darris, ever since last Saturday I seem to have this little voice inside my head that argues with me all the time and only shuts up when I drown him with Turkey and Coke... Really, I haven't seen the shoes. Maybe Chad gave them to an, er, friend (oh, I forgot, they'd have to be Navy Blue- but I bet they'd fit! :D).

Pete

So I'm on Bourbon St. naked, right? I didn't think anything was gonna happen either, but hey, you just get caught up in the moment sometimes (or at least that one couple standing by the flower cart did and we have the pictures to prove it ;-)

I must have left my shoes at the hotel. No matter they hurt my feet anyway and I have another pair.

Yeah, it's amazing what you can learn from the drunken isn't it? :-) Be thankful I wasn't making you drink Wild Turkey (at least this trip I didn't. Wait until next time. ;-)

I sent you an e-mail so be expecting it and follow the instructions in it :-)

Take care,

Darris "15 WT and cokes, 3/4 of a Big Gulp cup full of Huricane, 1 Long Island Iced Tea slated for you but I ended up with, three large beers and whatever that green thing was :-)" Chambless

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    You guys are tooooo weird! If this sober, I can't imagine how Bourbon Street survived your visit. My Baton Rouge relatives said they heard some strange noises over the week end. Was that you guys?

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Big Smile

Originally posted by Darris Chambless:
    It's not; how much is it? It is; how much are you willing to pay? Or what the market will bare.
    In New Orleans, maybe, and Polynesia, and certain spots along the French Riviera...

hmm, all connected with the French... coincidence?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Originally posted by mikeh:
    You guys are tooooo weird! If this sober, I can't imagine how Bourbon Street survived your visit. My Baton Rouge relatives said they heard some strange noises over the week end. Was that you guys?
    Hey Mikeh,

They didn't. And; Yup! That was us :-)

Darris "Live Wire" Chambless

Thread Information