Thread: Ar coating on sunglass

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Ar coating on sunglass

I have always put Arc on the back side of sunglasses. Is there a reason why both sides are not coated.????

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    AR gets very smudgy and looks bad on the front of a dark lens. The only time I've ever done it has been with Alizé. AR on the front can also look kind of like a mirror, so I'd rather put an actual mirror coating on the front and AR on the back.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Anti-Reflective Coatings are used for light transmission through the lens. Why would you put A/R on the front surface of a polarized lens when you are trying to reduce the light transmission to the eye? Just food for thought.
    Ben

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Adding to OpticianMS,

Putting an AR coating on the backside of the lens helps with internal reflections caused by the lens.

A Backside AR also helps in reducing unwanted reflections on the backside of the lens by allowing light that hits the backside of the lens not to be reflected back into the eye but transmitted through the lens.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ar On Suns

A proper fitted frame will solve some of that issue too.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Backside AR

Quote Originally Posted by ShuString View Post
    A proper fitted frame will solve some of that issue too.
    How does the fitting of a lens in a frame relate to back lens surface reflection reduction?

The other comments properly explain backside AR.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by AWTECH View Post
    How does the fitting of a lens in a frame relate to back lens surface reflection reduction?
    I think ShuString is talking about a proper wrap which reduces unwated backside glare by not allowing light to enter through the backside of the lens.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Wraps increase base curve which in turn increase reflection- Simple solution, use backside AR, try Crizal Sun, it's backside Alize with a front side TD2 and hydrophobic topcoat, a good combo. Front mirrors can be an option as well.
    Only 12% of all suns sold have an AR solution, seems like a nice opportunity the dispenser.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I haven't found frontside AR to be a liability, at least in polarized lenses. Mine have both sides covered and they don't look smudgy or weird or too bright.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    If you do the simple math, you find that when you increase the front curve, the back surface curve changes accordingly resulting in less than optimal optics. Remember that when making a lens, we are trying to match the curve of the cornea. Changing the curvature, whether flatter or steeper causes the natural abberations inherent in any lens to be more pronounced. Adding AR will help lessen these effects in any case. I have always been bugged by the back surface reflections in sunglesses, mainly seeing the side of my face reflected.

As to back surface only versus both sides, my opinion is that it doesn't make much difference except if a mirror is on the front. Some may say that AR allows more light through the lens which defeats the purpose of a sun lens, which I suppose has some merit. I like the enhanced sharpness you get with both sides coated and use polarized lenses to take care of the glare.

Occupation
    Darn typos...should have reviewed it first

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by nicko View Post
    Changing the curvature, whether flatter or steeper causes the natural abberations inherent in any lens to be more pronounced. Adding AR will help lessen these effects in any case.

Nicko-

Could you explain how an AR coating lessens the natural abberations effect? I don't think that is possible.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    You know we wonder how important this feature is. All of my sunwear have backside AR. So last year I got a fancy looking Humphrey pair that I wore over my contact lenses, and does not have backside AR. Horrible to look through, too much reflection.

Occupation

sorry fezz

Yeah, busted by my semantics I guess. I didn't mean that any higher order abberations would be taken away, which if my sentence was taken literally, I suppose you could draw that conclusion. Simply put, when the internal and external reflections are taken away, it makes for less strain on the vision which anti reflection coatings are all about. No more, no less...is that ok with you?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The only sun lenses we will dispense are polarized and they all have a backside AR. Once you have had the opportunity to try it with and without you will immediately become a fan. The patients that previously had polarized without now comment on how their eyes are more relaxed with the backside AR.

Walmart has even figured it out. Their polarized have a backside AR with or without a frontside mirror. Not that we should all copy Walmart but they do have a much higher percentage of clear AR sales than most. I guess when AR is included and not an option you sell more and can charge more for the lenses.

Also, you don't have to get the Essilor sun AR. Any coating lab should be able to do the same coating. Thermal hard coat, backside AR and frontside hydrophobic/oleophobic layer. The Essilor marketing machine strikes again.
    My coating lab has been doing this at request for years just like all their AR has been ant-static for years. Lets see, Crizal Alize with Clear Guard was launched not that many months ago as the greatest AR with the new antistatic properties leading people to believe they were the first. I think they were the fourth or fifth and years later. I will end my Essilor rant now.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by nicko View Post
    If you do the simple math, you find that when you increase the front curve, the back surface curve changes accordingly resulting in less than optimal optics. Remember that when making a lens, we are trying to match the curve of the cornea. Changing the curvature, whether flatter or steeper causes the natural abberations inherent in any lens to be more pronounced. Adding AR will help lessen these effects in any case. I have always been bugged by the back surface reflections in sunglesses, mainly seeing the side of my face reflected.

As to back surface only versus both sides, my opinion is that it doesn't make much difference except if a mirror is on the front. Some may say that AR allows more light through the lens which defeats the purpose of a sun lens, which I suppose has some merit. I like the enhanced sharpness you get with both sides coated and use polarized lenses to take care of the glare.
    HUH? If we tried to match the curvature of the cornea we would have some pretty darn steep lenses.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Putting AR on the back side reduces reflections and glare when the sun is behind the patient, which in some circumstances can be quite blinding. Fishermen prefer some sort of side shield to keep out even more glare.
    Don't think AR reduces internal reflections on either side of the lens.
    AR is delicate and sunglasses are subject to more abrasion from sand, and the like. On the front it would scratch far too easily. Plus as previously stated, who needs something on a sunglass that lets in more light?

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think ShuString is talking about a proper wrap which reduces unwated backside glare by not allowing light to enter through the backside of the lens.

Exactly Braheem24, although AR can get relections off the inside of the lenses, we can also choose a frame that wraps around keeping the back glare from entering the inner surface. hence my comment:
    (A proper fitted frame will solve some of that issue too.)

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Putting AR on the back side reduces reflections and glare when the sun is behind the patient, which in some circumstances can be quite blinding. Fishermen prefer some sort of side shield to keep out even more glare.
    Don't think AR reduces internal reflections on either side of the lens.
    AR is delicate and sunglasses are subject to more abrasion from sand, and the like. On the front it would scratch far too easily. Plus as previously stated, who needs something on a sunglass that lets in more light?

Chip
    Chip, I am a little surprised. You keep telling us about the superiority of glass lenses to plastic visual wise. I thought you would be for the improvement of vision on sunglasses.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by ShuString View Post

Exactly Braheem24, although AR can get relections off the inside of the lenses, we can also choose a frame that wraps around keeping the back glare from entering the inner surface. hence my comment:
    (A proper fitted frame will solve some of that issue too.)
    You would be surprised about the difference still in that situation.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Just curious, do you specify a certain AR coat for the back side? Similar to specifying an AR for a clear pair of glasses (ie Teflon, Zeiss SET, Crizal). My lab says they use the Zeiss SET for the backside.

And what do you guys think of Crizal Sun?
    Last edited by DrNeyecare; 07-04-2007 at 06:33 PM.

Occupation
    Not exactly sure. We used the Xelois thing by Essilor in previous years and never had troubles. Now the company is pushing Crizal Sun for more. I have been using the trio sun and I think it will hold out the same.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNeyecare View Post
    Just curious, do you specify a certain AR coat for the back side? Similar to specifying an AR for a clear pair of glasses (ie Teflon, Zeiss SET, Crizal). My lab says they use the Zeiss SET for the backside.

And what do you guys think of Crizal Sun?
    Not all AR can go on just the backside. That's why they came up with Crizal Sun. We use either Zeiss SET or Crizal Sun. Carat AR and Crizal/Alizé have to be on both sides. If you tint a lens that is already edged you can't put Crizal Sun on it. But polarized lenses with Crizal Sun = the best! Looks much nicer than the SET because of the greenish color and the hydrophobicness (yes, I made that up).

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Brown polarized and Zeiss Gold is a very nice looking combo!

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by dweinstein
    Not all AR can go on just the backside.
    Where did you get this info from. I think it more depends on the processing than the coating.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Thread Information