Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4th Of July

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

4th Of July

THE 4TH OF JULY

Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence?

Five signers were captured by the British as traitors, and tortured before they died.

Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned.

Two lost their sons serving in the Revolutionary Army; another had two sons captured.

Nine of the 56 f ought and died from wounds or hardships of the Revolutionary War.

They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor.

What kind of men were they?

Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists.

Eleven were merchants, nine were farmers and large plantation owners; men of means, well educated, but they signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full well that the penalty would be death if they were captured.

Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his ships swept from the seas by the British Navy. He sold his home and properties to pay his debts, and died in rags.

Thomas McKeam was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his family almost constantly.

He served in the Congress without pay, and his family was kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from him,
    and poverty was his reward.

Vandals or soldiers looted the properties of Dillery, Hall, Clymer, Walton, Gwinnett, Heyward, Ruttledge, and Middleton.

At the battle of Yorktown, Thomas Nelson, Jr., noted that the British General Cornwallis had taken over the Nelson home for his headquarters. He quietly urged General George Washington to open fire. The home was destroyed, and Nelson died bankrupt.

Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed.

The enemy jailed his wife, and she died within a few months.

John Hart was driven from his wife's bedside as she was dying. Their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill were laid to waste. For more than a year he lived in forests and caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his children vanished.
    Some of us take these liberties so much for granted, but we shouldn't.

So, take a few minutes while enjoying your 4th of July holiday and silently thank these patriots. It's not much to
    ask for the price they paid.

Remember:
    freedom is never free!
    I hope you will show your support by sending this to as many people as you can, please. It's time we get the word out that patriotism is NOT a sin, and the Fourth of July has more to it than beer, picnics, and baseball games

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    That's awesome - thanks for sharing!

I'm going to be participating in a July 4th parade!

:cheers:

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    John Hart was driven from his wife's bedside as she was dying. Their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill were laid to waste. For more than a year he lived in forests and caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his children vanished.
    I agree with the sentiment of your post, however, there appear to be some factual errors making the rounds on the Internet. From http://www.doublegv.com/ggv/JHart.html:

John Hart did not have to hide for months from the British. They were not in the area but from December 8th. 1776, when Washington retreated into Pennsylvania, until at most December 26th, when he captured Trenton. In reality, the actual time was a few days when troops were in the area. They damaged his house and farm, but it was not destroyed. As the outline shows, his wife died in October, so the British did not drive him from her side. Most of his children were grown, so he did not lose them. The two minors went to family nearby while he hid, then everything went back to "normal" after a few days. He did not die a "broken man" from losing his family- he did not lose them, he died of kidney stones after a long, very painful illness- surrounded by family, in his intact home, on his large, still working, farm.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    RT

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Whether the prose is all factual or not.. I do appreciate and believe that we should remember the point of the statements...

Freedom isn't free, and we are truly blessed to be in a country where we can have such open debates.

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Banned
    Occupation
    God bless America!:cheers:

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by gemstone View Post
    God bless America!:cheers:
    May not be perfect but it's the best damn place on Earth!:cheers::D

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by OPTIDONN View Post
    May not be perfect but it's the best damn place on Earth!:cheers::D
    How many places on Earth have you visited?

Occupation
    In addition to San Francisco, California I’ve spent in excess of thirty days in Canada, Mexico, Cuba, Panama, Costa Rica, England, France, Netherlands, Spain, Lebanon, Syria, Israel, Japan, Taiwan, Okinawa, Hong Kong, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam.

Yup, USA, still the best place on earth.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by shanbaum View Post
    How many places on Earth have you visited?
    Why, have you found someplace better? Well I haven't been with every woman in the world but I can say with out a doubt mine is the best! I can't say I'm the parent of every child in the world but I can still say mine are the best! I'm sure if you visit the Shanbaum house hold you'll see 'lil Shanbaum in the corner, out of sight and with a guilty look on his face, waving the American flag watching the fireworks! lol gotta bust your hump man!! HAPPY FOURTH!!
    Last edited by OPTIDONN; 07-01-2007 at 10:25 PM. Reason: I'm just too cool!!!!!

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Donn please realize I'm kidding and don't kill me.

Quote Originally Posted by OPTIDONN View Post
    Why, have you found someplace better? Well I haven't been with every woman in the world but I can say with out a doubt mine is the best! I can't say I'm the parent of every child in the world but I can still say mine are the best! I'm sure if you visit the Shanbaum house hold you'll see 'lil Shanbaum in the corner, out of sight and with a guilty look on his face, waving the American flag watching the fireworks! lol gotta bust your hump man!! HAPPY FOURTH!!
    I haven't been with every woman yet, and so far I agree Donn's is the best.

(please forgive my exceptionally bad humor, I just couldn't resist.)

Occupation
    OK I set my self up for that one! It was pretty damn funny!:bbg:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lol!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by k12311997 View Post
    I haven't been with every woman yet, and so far I agree Donn's is the best.

(please forgive my exceptionally bad humor, I just couldn't resist.)
    Donn-

Looks like we got ourselves a wisea@@. Somebody needs a wood shampoo and a Tom McCann enema!

Or...three cheers for a great line!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

First said by my old boss, Jim Dipprey

"Celebrate the Fourth with
    A Fifth!"

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    THE 4TH OF JULY

Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence?

Five signers were captured by the British as traitors, and tortured before they died.

Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned.

Two lost their sons serving in the Revolutionary Army; another had two sons captured.

Nine of the 56 f ought and died from wounds or hardships of the Revolutionary War.

They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor.

What kind of men were they?

Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists.

Eleven were merchants, nine were farmers and large plantation owners; men of means, well educated, but they signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full well that the penalty would be death if they were captured.

Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his ships swept from the seas by the British Navy. He sold his home and properties to pay his debts, and died in rags.

Thomas McKeam was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his family almost constantly.

He served in the Congress without pay, and his family was kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from him,
    and poverty was his reward.

Vandals or soldiers looted the properties of Dillery, Hall, Clymer, Walton, Gwinnett, Heyward, Ruttledge, and Middleton.

At the battle of Yorktown, Thomas Nelson, Jr., noted that the British General Cornwallis had taken over the Nelson home for his headquarters. He quietly urged General George Washington to open fire. The home was destroyed, and Nelson died bankrupt.

Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed.

The enemy jailed his wife, and she died within a few months.

Some of us take these liberties so much for granted, but we shouldn't.

So, take a few minutes while enjoying your 4th of July holiday and silently thank these patriots. It's not much to
    ask for the price they paid.

Remember:
    freedom is never free!
    I hope you will show your support by sending this to as many people as you can, please. It's time we get the word out that patriotism is NOT a sin, and the Fourth of July has more to it than beer, picnics, and baseball games
    Yes, this time of year means a lot to me. I'm distantly related to two of those, one with a bad ending, one with a good one, neither mentioned above.
    Cheers, guys!
    :cheers::cheers:
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dragon: I think Rush Limbaugh's father wrote that piece many years ago.

Occupation
    Chip: I do believe that is correct.

Banned
    Occupation
    93% of the fireworks we will light tomorrow to celebrate the US independence were made in China. 75% of the US flags we fly are made in China. Thank you CHINA!!:cheers:

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thank the (British!) Freemasons...

I'm working without my reference books here but as I recall both Generals Cornwallis and Gates played a part in us gaining independence by what they didn't do!

Both were Freemasons from military lodges and must have chaffed under the thought that national leaders were chosen by birth and not ability.

Gates especially if history is read "between the lines" threw the war whenever possible our way. The frontal assault up Breed's (Bunker) Hill was not the way an experienced warrior like Gates would have fought but I believe he was against an Englishman fighting Englishman war and wanted to send home a statement in the form of coffins to show the leaders this was not a good idea. Also his failure to send in a timely manner reinforcements up the Hudson as requested by Burgouinne (sp) led to their defeat at Bennington and evacuation from Boston.

It was nice of Cornwallis to give up Yorktown without a fight.

With the creation of the Constitution (which is still a work in progress) so began the great experiment of whether citizens could govern themselves.:)

It all started with The Declaration Of Independence so Happy Independence Day to everyone.:D:D:D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually, guys, this story was first read and published by Paul Harvey in 1956.

He has updated it a couple of times since, but the one we have here is the original.
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by gemstone View Post
    93% of the fireworks we will light tomorrow to celebrate the US independence were made in China. 75% of the US flags we fly are made in China. Thank you CHINA!!:cheers:
    :cheers::cheers::cheers:
    The EYE is the lamp of the body, so take care of our eyes.:)

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The rest are made in Mexico.

Banned
    Occupation
    Just stay away from the dogfood,toothpaist and tires.

Occupation
    The Tea Tax: If it hadn't rubbed those colonists the wrong way, how would we ever have arrived at this?

[youtube]teqj7l-vb_k&NR=1[/youtube]

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    thanx RBaker

thank you for the insight.

Thread Information